One hundred and fifty four days after the first 4G LTE upgradeable tablet launched on Verizon, a tablet is finally going to be accessing that beautiful network. Unfortunately for early adopters, it’s not the Motorola Xoom.
The Galaxy Tab 10.1, which many of you know and love, has done the impossible and built a 4G LTE module right into the darn thing. And it can be yours this Thursday in either Metallic Gray or Glossy White starting at $529.99. (Ouch, 4G AND available in two colors. Twisting the blade).
The specs are unchanged–save for the addition of the cell radio–from the WiFi-only version that’s been available for a little over a month now. This is the same device famously given away at Google I/O in May. If you’re interested in the full rundown of features, click the full press release below.
While there is certainly no lack of Android tablets available at this point, the Galaxy Tab 10.1 is unquestionably the hero device of the moment. It bests the iPad 2 in almost every meaningful metric and can now add 4G to that list.
Has anyone already pre-ordered the Galaxy Tab 10.1 4G? Or are you planning to pick it up Thursday?
Quick PSA: I would definitely take the $100 hit and buy it on month-to-month rather than signing into a 2-year contract. Things just move too fast for that in the wonderful world of Android.Show Press Release
Samsung Galaxy Tabâ„¢ 10.1 with 4G LTE Available at Verizon Wireless
4G LTE and Wi-Fi Models Available; 8.6 Millimeters Thin and Weighing in at 1.25 pounds
BASKING RIDGE, N.J., July 26, 2011
BASKING RIDGE, N.J., July 26, 2011 /PRNewswire/ — Verizon Wireless and Samsung Telecommunications America (Samsung Mobile) today announced that the Samsung Galaxy Tabâ„¢ 10.1 with 4G LTE will be available July 28 in either Metallic Gray or Glossy White in Verizon Wireless Communications Stores and online at www.verizonwireless.com/SamsungTab4GLTE.
- 4G LTE — customers can expect download speeds of 5 to 12 Mbps and upload speeds of 2 to 5 Mbps in 4G Mobile Broadband coverage areas
- Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n
- Androidâ„¢ 3.1 Honeycomb platform — supports Googleâ„¢ Mobile Services including Gmailâ„¢, YouTubeâ„¢, Google Talkâ„¢, Google Searchâ„¢, Google Mapsâ„¢, Google Moviesâ„¢, Google Booksâ„¢ and Android Marketâ„¢
- Adobe® Flash® 10.3 technology
- NVIDIA® Tegra2 dual-core 1 GHz application processor
- 10.1-inch HD touchscreen display with WXGA 1280 x 800 resolution
- 3-megapixel rear-facing camera and 2-megapixel front-facing camera for video chat capabilities
- 1080p HD video playback on a HD TV or other 1080p HD device
- Samsung Media Hub — offers a vast lineup of critically acclaimed films and TV programs for rent or purchase. Media Hub has been redesigned, allowing customers to playback Media Hub content on their TV through an HDMI adapter (sold separately). Purchased content can be shared with up to five devices enabled with Media Hub at no extra cost.
Pricing and data plans:
- Verizon Wireless will offer two 4G LTE Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 models both priced with two-year customer agreements: $529.99 for the 16GB model and $629.99 for the 32GB model.
- Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 customers will have the option to choose one of the following mobile broadband data plans:
- $30 monthly access for 2GB monthly allowance
- $50 monthly access for 5GB monthly allowance
- $80 monthly access for 10GB monthly allowance
- A 16GB Wi-Fi-only Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 will also be available online at www.verizonwireless.com on July 28 for $499.99. The Wi-Fi-only model will be available in Metallic Grey.
Samsung Media Hub Credit:
- For a limited time, Verizon Wireless customers will get a free $25 Media Hub credit from Samsung with their Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 purchase, good towards TV program purchases. Restrictions apply, see inbox insert for additional details or visit www.samsung.com/VerizonTabPromo.
About Verizon Wireless
Verizon Wireless operates the nation’s fastest, most advanced 4G network and largest, most reliable 3G network. The company serves 106.3 million total wireless connections, including 89.7 million retail customers. Headquartered in Basking Ridge, N.J., with 83,000 employees nationwide, Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE, NASDAQ: VZ) and Vodafone (LSE, NASDAQ: VOD). For more information, visit www.verizonwireless.com. To preview and request broadcast-quality video footage and high-resolution stills of Verizon Wireless operations, log on to the Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library at www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia.
About Samsung Telecommunications America
Samsung Telecommunications America, LLC, a Dallas-based subsidiary of Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd., researches, develops and markets wireless handsets and telecommunications products throughout North America. For more information, please visit www.samsungwireless.com.
SOURCE Verizon Wireless