Aug 23 AT 1:57 PM Dustin Earley 36 Comments

Microsoft files to ban imports of Motorola smartphones

Evil_Ballmer

In today’s episode of the patent wars, it seems Microsoft has finally proven they’re ready to get serious. Standing before the US International Trade Commission today, Microsoft has requested a ban on all imports of Motorola smartphones. The company claims Motorola devices infringe upon seven different patents Microsoft controls.

The filing includes everything from contact management and email synchronization to a “way to alert applications of a change in signal strength and battery power.” While the list of affected devices does include the Droid 2, Droid X, Cliq XT, Devour, Backflip and Charm, even some Motorola-branded features phones would be included in the ban should it pass.

A recent article on Bloomberg points out there are at least 18 key patents in Motorola’s portfolio that should keep the patent trolls at bay. First used in three lawsuits against Apple in 1994, the patents include “technology essential to the mobile-device industry, including location services, antenna designs, e-mail transmission, touch-screen motions, software-application management and third-generation wireless.”

Since a wide range of Motorola’s Android devices are included in the claim, this one decision could be a determining factor in how the rest of the patent wars will play out. If Motorola’s patents aren’t enough to stop Microsoft on the most basic of claims, Google’s acquisition will have essentially meant nothing.

Source: TechCrunch

Dustin Earley: Tech enthusiast; avid gamer; all around jolly guy.

• BiGMERF

WOOOOOW!!! This is seriously beginning to get UGLY !

• TheRoot13

I has already been ugly

• BiGMERF

sorry should I have said Uglier?

• CTown

Don’t say that, have more self confidence!

• Interpol91

and BIGMERF finally hit 1000 with this comment. Congrats man!

• BiGMERF

Lol….. thanks I guess?

• Jon Garrett

I see a pattern here. US companies filing lawsuits against foreign companies that make better products than they do.

• Lenner

Except Motorola is an American company.

• Interpol91

• Fernando Pineda

Seriously MS? If Androids get banned, I believe the majority of us would go iPhone.

• pitacrisps

Ha, like WE would be walking around with Windows phones. We would all be jailbreaking iPhones and telling Microsoft to shove it anyway. Who do they think we are anyway?

• themanwithsauce

Never, ever, ever, ever try and stop a determined consumer. There are very few forces on this earth more powerful than ticked off consumers.

If they ban motorola phones, I don’t know how or what they have to do but people will get their hands on bionics and droid 3s and whatnot. Personally, I’d rather get a dumb phone than use a WinMo or iOS phone. The hatred on the windows phone is because of the ban and the iOS hate is because I don’t like their prices and lack of variety.

Hell, I’d get a symbian OS or RIM just to really tell off MS.

• Melissa

Not me. :)

• RevSpaminator

I’d just keep using an underground version of Android.

“These aren’t the droids you are looking for.”

• kwills88

• 420speedwagon

• kazahani

• ben traves

• http://ArtisticAbode.com BetterWithRoot

But let’s say that they did do this. What’s Microsoft’s response? To stop having Android phones work with Windows?

So really these patent wars only go to hurt the consumer. Microsoft is trying to grab as much money as possible from Android. We all know that it makes more off of Android then it’s own WP7 platform. I don’t like it…but as a consumer, I can only speak with my dollars…I can’t help that my dollars aren’t going to their intended recipient.

• Hacknet07

• Richard Yarrell

• squiddy20

“Microsoft is USELESS” Hmmm, I’d LOVE to see you say that to the millions and millions of Windows users, both business and residential, since when you say “Microsoft” you are including ALL of their products, not just WP7. I think they (the users) would beg to differ. And “Microsoft” would NOT be dead regardless of HTC’s involvement because it has its hands in so many different tech avenues that the dying of one little section (WP7) wouldn’t hurt their bottom line too hard. Get real you stupid moron. The world is WAYYY bigger than little ‘ole HTC.

• kwills88

• aj

• Dre

I know Google bought Motorola for defensive use but the old saying is the best defense is a good offence, so it makes me wonder how many more lawsuits Google will allow these companys to bring against Android and it’s supporters before they decide enough is enough.

It’s only smart to turn the other cheek if you know your enemy isn’t gonna keep attacking you, otherwise you might as well just ask them to try to kill you.

• drake

*OffenSe

• Dre

*my bad lol

• uknowme

• Muck Ficrosoft

Microsoft, words can’t express how much I hate you.

• aj

DUDE!!! Your username me rofl literally. I freaking love that name

• http://youtube.com/user/jawckamoe Marcus

• drone3

• Tran Lang

• sonicjam

I love how apple and MS are getting on every company about android except for LG and Sony. I wish apple file a lawsuit to Sony right now so apple can lose horribly.

• PeterP

Why not Microsoft, maybe it will bring you in some money. You own the IP and someone is using it unlicensed. I own android but hey, I understand how business works. I think the bigger problem here is the increasing power of the Phone and with the ICS release people having their PC in their pocket, especially the younger generation. So Microsoft, you better get what you can as it seems likely a large portion of the Windows user base if not all will switch to ICS. Who wants to lug a laptop home at the end of the day when you can take a phone instead.

• Dr.Carpy

1. WOOOOOW!!! This is seriously beginning to get UGLY !

2. I’m interested to see how this plays out. Definitely could be a bad scar for Google if neither of Motorola’s patents protect it from this lawsuit.

3. Fernando PinedaGuest 4 years ago

• pitacrispsGuest 4 years ago

• themanwithsauceGuest 4 years ago

Hell, I’d get a symbian OS or RIM just to really tell off MS.

• Not me. :)

• I’d just keep using an underground version of Android.

“These aren’t the droids you are looking for.”

4. Microsoft look really desperate right now…doing this is just pissing off android fans who will hate windows phone even more simply because you just keep trying to low blow us anyway you can.

• Lol true on that. We will be like pricks with our iPhones but at least we won’t look like idiots with WP7 lol

5. I think Google needs to go on offense a little bit. How about they block Windows Phones from accessing google.com, youtube, google+ & gmail until Microsoft drops this sillyness?

• Google gets add revenue from most of those services so i doubt they will and apple would probably threaten to remove it as well since they’re ‘buddies’ with Microsoft.

• I don’t understand why people say things like this. I mean I do understand…it’s a knee-jerk reaction. But really, it’s only going to hurt Google’s bottom line to stop people from using their products. Not only does it hurt Google’s revenue, but also the consumer’s confidence in Google.

• They can’t. They will lose a ton of $$$$ by blocking users from accessing their services.

6. Microsoft is USELESS they need to focus more on there SORRY state of devices and operating sysytem. If it wasn’t for HTC microsoft would be dead..If I was HTC I wouldn’t make another window’s smartphone ever…

• squiddy20Guest 4 years ago

7. I am just saying, if Microsoft were as devoted to windows phone as they are devoted in bringing down android, they would probably have some success.

8. Microsoft is a greedy douchebag!!!!!!! I hope they keep making computers but i hope their windows phone dies so nokia can shut up and be put in there rightful place non-existent.

9. DreGuest 4 years ago

10. I don’t know what to say. This has gone past the point of being funny anymore. I mean really Microsoft grow a pair and just be happy with the money you already make.

11. Muck FicrosoftGuest 4 years ago

Microsoft, words can’t express how much I hate you.

• DUDE!!! Your username me rofl literally. I freaking love that name

12. Wow… they would do something like this. Microsoft is getting on my last nerve. No one is going to switch to WP7.

13. MS have lost the plot. Google need to make their Chrome OS more versatile so everyone can jump ship. I just booted into ubunutu so i don’t have to feel guilty about writing this.

14. @drone3, I’m with you. I just boot my PC into Ubuntu 11.04 even I don’t have to pay a penny for a full Windows 7 Enterprise. This makes me hate Microsoft more.

15. sonicjamGuest 4 years ago

16. PeterPGuest 4 years ago

17. I remember when Microsoft had more integrity under Gates. Now, with Ballmer at the helm all they do is sue people. Xbox is carrying Microsoft. Then Android. Come on Steve, get your R&D department to start earning their keep!