Sep 06 AT 2:27 PM Dustin Earley 22 Comments

Nexus Prime passes through Bluetooth SIG; Droid Prime receives WiFi certification

ice-cream-sandwich-nexus

If you think this headline looks familiar, don’t worry. It’s not just you. The last time we heard anything on both the Droid and Nexus Primes, the Ice Cream Sandwich devices were making the rounds, finishing up the pre-release circuit. During the last week of August, the SCH-i515 (Droid Prime) was seen doing the Bluetooth SIG shuffle, while the GT-i9250 was hanging out with the WiFi certification crowd. Today, those roles are switched.

Staying on track for an October to December release, the Nexus Prime has passed through the Bluetooth Special Intrest Group, and the Droid Prime has received its WiFi certification. No new information has been provided on either device, but again, this keeps them on track for a Fall release. As early as October has been rumored for when either device could hit retail shelves, but don’t be surprised if you don’t see the Primes until December. Any confusion on exactly how the two different devices will finally present themselves in retail form has yet to be cleared up, as well.

At this point, the most logical assumption is that the Droid and Nexus Primes are two different but extremely similar devices. The GT-i9250 will release as a normal Nexus device, and the SCH-i515 will release as a Verizon exclusive. It should also be noted that the “Droid” name is not set in stone. It’s entirely possible that both devices will actually land the Nexus name with some sort of small differentiator. We might be looking at another Nexus S versus Nexus S 4G scenario. Which when you think about it, wouldn’t be all bad. The “Nexus Prime LTE” does have a nice ring to it. Of course this is all speculation. As Fall is quietly knocking on our door, we should know more very soon.

Source: DroidLife

Dustin Earley: Tech enthusiast; avid gamer; all around jolly guy.

• Cristian

I happy to hear that things are moving along for the next Nexus. Though I could really care less what goes on with the Droid Prime as long as there is an untarnished Nexus available for me on T-Mo’s bands.

• Black Kristos

Yes please. This will keep me with Tmo come 2012.

• 2C

My thoughts exactly. I upgraded from a Nexus One to a G2x & it was the worst move ever. Can’t wait for the next Nexus device.

• http://blessayfromamerica.blogspot.com Guy Bailey

Ditto Ditto Ditto.. I love my N1 but it’s getting a bit tarnished around the seams, especially with the low memory by todays device standards. I wouldn’t have anything other than a Nexus though.

• T1392

• Dustin Earley

This Sunday, It’s Droid VS Nexus in an all out war of the machines! BE THERE!

• http://ArtisticAbode.com BetterWithRoot

This is how I am understanding the news about the Nexus and Prime.

Same Phone produced by Samsung-

Prime – VZW = Nexus with bloat
      Nexus – Other carriers = True Google Expierence

The only upside is that Samsung is leaving their bootloaders unlocked. Hopefully the Prime is easily rootable to remove the bloat.

• Galen20K

That’s exactly what it will be.

• ATTlover

AT&T will ship a bloat-free – not to mention an unlocked bootloader – phone, when their chief competition was given permission to bloat it up? I’d like to believe it, but I’m extremely skeptical. AT&T hates Android, hates developers, and hates the sound of children’s laughter. It’ll be called AT&T’s AT&T Nexus Slime 6G with AT&T Navigator by AT&T.

• ButcherChop

I have an AT&T 3G band Nexus One and looking forward to the next Nexus phone for AT&T. My bill is too awesome to leave them, plus I have unlimited bandwith under my plan still. Obvious those were $539 very well spent. I need more.

• cb2000a

I wait patiently for one of these to drop on Verizon. There has not been a single phone released, since I bought my Droid almost two years ago, that I would want to upgrade to (on Verizon). If Verizon cannot get it together by the time my contract runs out I am gone.

• cheese

Source is a guy who works at LoveFilm, and has handled both the Amazon tablet and this Torch.

• Xoldier

Really looking forward to the next Nexus.
    I have never used any other phone than the flagship Android…G1, then Nexus One and currently Nexus S.

Does anyone else think that Nexus S sucks hard?
    - Crappy WiFi signal
    - Crappy Phone signal
    - Crappy 3G/Edge/GPS Signal
    - Crappy Plasticky body

I hope they do it right this time around.

• Jim Surles

I’m in the same boat.. G1 -> N1 -> NS.. I’m not really thrilled with the Nexus S. GPS S-U-C-K-S, dropping or hung wifi (I have 2 AP’s in my house, only 2ksqft, and I’m losing signal? Plus that having to go through best buy bull shit. I’m not as enamored with Tmo as I used to be.. I’m hoping for a nice plain Nexus Prime on VZW. More expensive, but I’m tired of being places where the ATT and VZW users are all working and I’m sitting there with no signal. Doesn’t happen often, but often times it happens when I need an outlet the most.. cub scout campouts.. heh.

• jdog25

I’m more hardcore than you suckers:

G1 > Google Ion > Nexus One > Nexus S

:-P

• alex

im so happy i sent this in :)

• alex

i really hope this had led notification, USB host like the Epic Touch 4g

• Nate B.

If we don’t hear anything from Google as far as a hint, then I think it’ll come out in Dec like the past. Just getting certification based off other phones we were expecting, didn’t come out for a while. I do hope i’m wrong. If it’s the later release then it’ll give me extra time to save up for it because I expect it to be on several carriers. I’m still getting the epic touch 4G .

• Interpol91

• Alan Paone

I hope neither of those is the nexus :( Is it too much to ask for a nexus phone not made by samsung?

• Nathan

1. CristianGuest 4 years ago

• Black KristosGuest 4 years ago

Yes please. This will keep me with Tmo come 2012.

• 2CGuest 4 years ago

• Guy BaileyGuest 4 years ago

2. Hope it isn’t the Samsung Droid Prime, I know one day Droid & Nexus will meet and maybe Clash with one another. I wouldn’t mind the name Samsung Nexus Droid or Droid Nexus but to me a Droid Prime should be a name for a whole other phone. Keep the Nexus name & Free of bloat ware that’s all I want from Verizon.

• This Sunday, It’s Droid VS Nexus in an all out war of the machines! BE THERE!

• This is how I am understanding the news about the Nexus and Prime.

Same Phone produced by Samsung-

Prime – VZW = Nexus with bloat
      Nexus – Other carriers = True Google Expierence

• That’s exactly what it will be.

• ATTloverGuest 4 years ago

3. ButcherChopGuest 4 years ago

4. cb2000aGuest 4 years ago

5. I heard through one source that Amazon will be releasing a phone sometime in 2012 dubbed: Amazon Torch. Does anyone else know anything about this?

6. XoldierGuest 4 years ago

Really looking forward to the next Nexus.

Does anyone else think that Nexus S sucks hard?
    - Crappy WiFi signal
    - Crappy Phone signal
    - Crappy 3G/Edge/GPS Signal
    - Crappy Plasticky body

I hope they do it right this time around.

• Jim SurlesGuest 4 years ago

7. alexGuest 4 years ago

im so happy i sent this in :)

8. alexGuest 4 years ago

i really hope this had led notification, USB host like the Epic Touch 4g

9. Nate B.Guest 4 years ago

10. Give me some Nexus Prime!!! Glad to hear some more news on this device that I’m craving for!

11. Alan PaoneGuest 4 years ago

12. Next stop, next Nexus phone is in my hands :) also really exited about this phone can’t wait for it to come out.