Sep 01 AT 5:33 PM Dustin Earley 21 Comments

Samsung unveils latest PMP: the Galaxy WiFi 3.6

Samsung-WiFi-3.6_5

Nearly lost amongst news of the Galaxy Tab 7.7 and Galaxy Note this morning, Samsung has also announced the next generation in their Galaxy PMP series: the Galaxy WiFi 3.6.

Named for its 3.6-inch HVGA display, the Galaxy WiFi 3.6 is a WiFi-only device featuring Android 2.3, TouchWiz, a 1 GHz OMAP processor, 8/16GB of storage, a microSD card slot, GPS, Bluetooth, a 2 megapixel camera with LED flash and a VGA front-facing camera. In order to keep up with its title of personal media player, the Galaxy WiFi 3.6 will launch with a wide variety of codecs for playing any and all sorts of media across the globe.

Pricing for the Galaxy Wifi 3.6 will be modest (probably to match previous sales of the Galaxy 4 and 5), but will it be enough? The 8GB version will launch for £149 ($240) and the 16GB version for £169 ($270). Is that cheap enough to convince you to buy? In a world of dual-core Galaxy S IIs, a $270 media player almost seems a little pricy. What do you think?

Source: Geeky Gadgets

Dustin Earley: Tech enthusiast; avid gamer; all around jolly guy.

• martin

in a world of 4″+ galaxy s2 phones i wonder how this can be less than half the cost. how the hell can they justify more than $500 for a galaxy s2 with 4.3″-4.5″ screen? That price just seems like a kick in the face now.

• Daniel

Half the number of CPU cores, older technology (Cortex A8 rather than A9), probably half the RAM, less than half the number of screen pixels, no cell radio, no AMOLED, smaller battery, much inferior cameras, no autofocus (or focus adjustment at all).

This is noticeably inferior to the original Galaxy S in terms of hardware, you can’t even begin to compare it to the S II.

• pax

Quit whining guys…GS2 is not $500….Bought it for $700…
        this looks really nice.

• Mark

ROFL….these manufacturers are SO out of touch with the real world with pricing like that. Good luck.

• Dylan

$200+ seriously? This needs to be $50 – $100 max.

• Dustin Earley

I was thinking $150 would be fair.

• Futureboy

I’d bite at something like this for around $150. I was just wishing I had a decent device that I could use to stream Pandora or Tune In Radio while working out in the yard. Don’t want to mess up the regular phone so I’ve been using the old MT3G. Works ok sometimes but not really fast enough.

• Transient

Have you seen the PMPs that go for $50? They’re pieces of crap.

• pax

Aren’t we a bit cheap?????

• Interpol91

• Tyler

8gb ipod is 229.99 since android is better than ios i think that price is more than fair

• Dirge

• R.S

However, I do think it’s a little over priced. By that I mean if they want to steal sales from people looking at buying an iPod Touch, it needs to be cheaper even if its just $20-$30.

• Daniel

I agree. Keep in mind, though, that those are UK prices, and things are generally cheaper in the US. The 8GB iPod Touch is £193 (£159 without VAT) vs the Wifi 3.6′s £149, so perhaps this is a reasonably competitive price.

• iphone lova

iphone 3gs is much better

• http://sean-the-electrofreak.blogspot.com/ Sean the Electrofreak

• http://gautch.com gsutch

Well besides the really crappy cameras the specs arent bad. For $250 the camera should at least be as good as the first galaxy s phones. Then its getting close to a fair price.

• eSo

Why doesn’t anyone make a touch screen PMP with a reasonable amount of storage? I guess I’ll hang on to my 160GB iPod classic until someone realizes that 16GB’s isn’t enough to store anything.

• roamdeus

I’m loving wat there doin ….. well think wat there doin with this phone. From rumors and pics that I have seen and read this phone looks like wat is possibly the new iPhone. If u make a phone that looks like the iPhone and put some crappy shit in it will it throw off sales for the iPhone? Just a thought

• Titus

The price is not that bad if you think about it. Its like having a Android iPod with expandable memory. Not bad that bad if you ask me. I will admit when I first heard about I was thinking more of $200 and $250 for the 8GB and 16GB

• Michaelg

I wish it was about $50 cheaper than a comparable iTouch. That would win the argument on which to buy for my kids.

1. martinGuest 4 years ago

• DanielGuest 4 years ago

2. MarkGuest 4 years ago

3. DylanGuest 4 years ago

$200+ seriously? This needs to be $50 – $100 max.

4. Before I got my Android phone I relied heavily on the iPod touch. I still do to listen to music in my car but if it wasn’t for that I would’ve thrown it out a while back. Besides, with the SGSII being released for $199 on a two year contract, I don’t believe in playing more for a device like the Galaxy WiFi 3.6

5. TylerGuest 4 years ago

6. Well, considering PMP(Personal Media Players) have amazing battery lives compared to smartphones, this seems like a good deal. Plus, it’s around the same price the the iPod Touch line.

7. I haven’t used my iPod Touch since I got my Android phone so I’m obviously not in the market for a PMP.

• DanielGuest 4 years ago

8. iphone lovaGuest 4 years ago

iphone 3gs is much better

9. Read the title as “Samsung unveils latest PIMP” at first. For a moment I envisioned a phone in bright purple with gold trim.

10. gsutchGuest 4 years ago