The Xperia Play was one of the most acclaimed devices before its release. Everybody was dying to see what this “Playstation phone” was all about. The phone definitely didn’t get as much hype after its launch, but it’s still one of the most interesting devices out there. Especially if you’re one of those gaming geeks.
But now that the Xperia Play might be getting Ice Cream Sandwich, you might be a bit more interested in this gaming smartphone. First reaching US shores via Verizon Wireless, the Xperia Play is broadening its horizons and will be available through AT&T, as well.
AT&T is bringing fierce competition–its version is a bit more beefed up and cheaper, too. AT&T will sell this bad boy for the low price of $49.99 on a 2-year contract. If the price is not enough of an incentive, you might be lured by the fact that this device comes with 4G connectivity (HSPA+ bands). Just in case that’s still not good enough, AT&T is also throwing in a Multimedia Dock (DK300) and a music cable (MC100) for free.
- Dungeon Defendersâ„¢ Second Wave by Trendy Entertainment
- Asphaltâ„¢ 6 Adrenaline by Gameloft
- Star Battalion by Gameloft
- Madden NFLâ„¢ 11 by Electronic Arts
- The Simsâ„¢ 3 by Electronic Arts
- Tower Bloxxâ„¢: My City by Digital Chocolate
- Crash Bandicoot® by SCEA/Naughty Dog/Universal
Sony Ericsson Xperia Play Specifications
- Android 2.3.3 Gingerbread (Sony Ericsson promises to upgrade to ICS)
- 1 GHz single-core Snapdragon processor / Adreno 205 GPU
- 4-inch display
- 512 MB of RAM
- 5 MP rear-facing camera / VGA front-facing camera
- 4G-capable (HSPA+)
Not a bad deal if you ask us. The device is already a great one for the price. Throwing in all these extras only makes things much more enticing. Is anyone signing up to get this bundle? How do you guys like the Xperia Play? Do you think it will get ICS in a timely fashion?Show Press Release
First PlayStation®-certified smartphone from AT&T available for $49.99 in AT&T stores and att.com
DALLAS, Sept. 8, 2011 -
· The Xperiaâ„¢ PLAY 4G, combining a PlayStation®-certified gaming device with the capabilities and portability of an Android smartphone, arrives in AT&T* stores, and online on September 18 for $49.99 with a two-year agreement.
· The Xperia PLAY 4G has dedicated gaming controls built into the phone through a slide out controller including directional keypad, dual analog touch joystick, two shoulder buttons and the four iconic PlayStation symbol keys: circle, X, square and triangle.
· Running the Android 2.3.3 (Gingerbread) platform, the first PlayStation-certified smartphone in the world features a brilliant 4â€³ 480 x 854 screen and stereo speakers.
Only AT&T customers can choose the 4G-capable Xperia PLAY, offered in an exclusive “stealth blue” color. The smartphone package is complete with bonus accessories including the Sony Ericsson Multimedia Dock DK300 and MC100 music cable. In addition to providing a convenient charging station, the DK300 converts the Xperia PLAY’s screen to a large clock display, and the music cable lets you connect to external speakers.** The DK300 and music cable come in the Xperia PLAY box, only from AT&T.
In addition, the device is pre-loaded with seven games, some of which are exclusive, at no additional cost including:
· Dungeon Defendersâ„¢ Second Wave by Trendy Entertainment
· Asphaltâ„¢ 6 Adrenaline by Gameloft
· Star Battalion by Gameloft
· Madden NFLâ„¢ 11 by Electronic Arts
· The Simsâ„¢ 3 by Electronic Arts
· Tower Bloxxâ„¢: My City by Digital Chocolate
· Crash Bandicoot® by SCEA/Naughty Dog/Universal
AT&T customers will have access to more than 150 Xperia PLAY optimized games including Minecraftâ„¢ Pocket Edition, Battlefield: Bad Companyâ„¢ 2 and Dead Spaceâ„¢ 2 for download and purchase through the “Get Games” recommender screen, easily accessible when you slide open the Xperia PLAY’s game controller.
Handheld Gaming and Smartphones Converge
The Xperia PLAY 4G offers a gamer’s wonderland by providing the on-the-go capabilities of an Android smartphone with the immersive entertainment appeal of a portable gaming device.
* Snapdragon chipset including a 1GHz CPU and Adreno 205 graphics processor (GPU)
* Runs on the Android 2.3.3 (Gingerbread) platform
* Sight and sound: 4â€³ 480 x 854 screen, up to 60 frames per second graphics, stereo speakers
* Dual camera: 5MP rear and VGA forward-facing, with video recording and chat capabilities over Wi-Fi
* Hundreds of Xperia PLAY optimized games through Android Market or directly from the publishers
* Pre-loaded with seven Xperia PLAY optimized games from publishers such as Gameloft and EA.
Along with the great gaming and Android capabilities, the Xperia PLAY 4G from AT&T includes Facebook Inside Xperia, a suite of Facebook functions integrated into various applications, such as friends’ birthdays in the phonebook, a “like” button in the music player, photo tags in the media gallery, and YouTube video recommendations from friends.
Pricing and Availability
The Xperia PLAY 4G arrives in AT&T stores and online on Sept. 18 and will be available for $49.99 after a two-year contract with minimum data plan.
“Gamers and smartphone fans alike will delight in the Xperia PLAY 4G’s instant access to gaming and entertainment,” said Jeff Bradley, senior vice president, Devices, AT&T Mobility and Consumer Markets. “We’re excited to offer a device that allows consumers to have fun while still staying on top of everything in their life.”
“Our fans on AT&T have been asking for Xperia PLAY and now we’re giving them everything they need in a smartphone with what they really want – an immersive gaming experience on AT&T’s 4G Network,” said Peter Farmer, Head of Marketing for North America, Sony Ericsson. “In addition to a constantly growing list of games exclusive to and optimized for Xperia PLAY, we know AT&T customers are really going to enjoy the uniquely Sony Ericsson social experience, including Timescape and Facebook Inside.”