Sep 29 AT 5:17 PM Dustin Earley 14 Comments

Motorola Xoom gets latest Android Market; preparation for Ice Cream Sandwich?

new-market-2

Motorola Xoom owners were greeted with a nice surprise today in the form of an update that included the latest version of the Android Market.

Similar to the Market already available on most phones, the latest tablet-optimized version of the Android Market features a tile layout that easily organizes new apps, games, books and more. From the homescreen in the Market, you can swipe left or right to browse apps and/or look up content by category. If you take a look at the video below, you may recognize the layout when browsing by category. That’s because it’s nearly identical to what Google suggested developers use when updating their apps for use with Ice Cream Sandwich.

Other than the new Market, nothing spectacular has changed. Which may actually be a good thing. Traditionally, right before a major firmware release, Google will send out a maintenance update to handsets in preparation. Just yesterday, the GSM version of the Nexus S was updated to 2.3.6, with no visible changes in store. Today, it’s the Xoom’s turn. Both updates may be a good sign that Google will not only reveal Ice Cream Sandwich on October 11, but begin rolling it out as well. Just under two weeks to go until we officially find out.

Video via DroidDog

Source: DroidLife

Dustin Earley: Tech enthusiast; avid gamer; all around jolly guy.

• Victor Gonzalez

Call me crazy, but I think Google is going to release ICS on October 11th to the Xoom, Nexus, and Tab devices.

• http://androidandme.com jordan logn

I would love to agree with you, It does not behove any of those manufacturers to update their existing devices before they release the 2nd xoom, the new nexus prime, and the tab will have to be tweaked by samsung. You’d want your customers paying for a xoom 2/nexus prime/etc before they buy an EOL product which wont receive much more support

I hope I’m wrong and I have ICS in about 2 weeks.

• http://ArtisticAbode.com BetterWithRoot

It also shows that early adopters (beta testers) can be rewarded. I own a Xoom, and would be stoked if it got the update right away. It would definatly make me look at Motorola for my next device. They would be securing not only future buyers, but current customers as well. Look at how many people won’t buy Samsung after the Galaxy non updates.

There is a market shift going on. Everyone is competing. Part of that compitition is who is going to deliver the updates. The general public doesn’t care too much about updates, but the early adopters do (Read: us). We then spread this info to our friends and family, as they look to us for their tech needs/info. If we are happy with a manufacturers product we will promote it as such, because we will be the ones working on thier issues/problems/questions with said product when they arise. I believe that the manufacturers and carriers are starting to realize they are not marketing phones any more, but computers with operating systems.

• THIS IS FRAGMENTATION

oooh oooh can you smell the fragmentation?

• NotRelevent

Actually no I can’t.

Though I should you iPhone retards the same question.

• http://anasqtiesh.com Anas Qtiesh

So how long before we get the .apk so we can set this up on other tablets?

• BiGMERF

i got that update almost week ago

• http://ArtisticAbode.com BetterWithRoot

This is a different update besides the 3.2.1 that we got about a week ago.

• droiddewd

• mattcoz

Can you actually review apps now?

• Zach Keller

I haven’t gotten this update yet…..

what gives?

• Bud Seks

Nice update for this obsolete tablet

1. Victor GonzalezGuest 4 years ago

• jordan lognGuest 4 years ago

I hope I’m wrong and I have ICS in about 2 weeks.

• But how cool would it be if they did do that? It shows they are commited to supporting their products. That goes a long way in the Android world. It shows your future customers that you are going to be supporting the product even when the next iteration is coming out. A lot of people are holding out for the next gen of tablets. To me that would give them peace of mind knowing that they can jump in and purchase without worries.

• THIS IS FRAGMENTATIONGuest 4 years ago

oooh oooh can you smell the fragmentation?

2. Anas QtieshGuest 4 years ago

So how long before we get the .apk so we can set this up on other tablets?

3. i got that update almost week ago

4. Transformer got the 3.2.1 update too but didn’t get the new market not a big deal but would have been cool. Hope it gets ICS quick too.

5. Can you actually review apps now?

6. Zach KellerGuest 4 years ago

I haven’t gotten this update yet…..

what gives?