Oct 20 AT 1:17 PM Taylor Wimberly 23 Comments

Correction: Droid RAZR has same CPU as Galaxy Nexus [Update: Or maybe not...]

OMAP4

We joked about the Droid RAZR being overshadowed this week by the Galaxy Nexus, and in doing so we made a mistake. I incorrectly stated several times that the Droid RAZR featured the 1.2 GHz OMAP4430, but it actually has the newer 1.2 GHz OMAP4460, which happens to be the same exact processor found in the Galaxy Nexus.

The processor model was not specified in the original press release, but Motorola revealed the OMAP4460 processor model on their Motodev product page. As far as I can tell, the only difference with the OMAP4460 model is the PowerVR SGX540 GPU has been cranked up to 384 MHz (compared to 304 MHz in the OMAP4430).

If you don’t plan to upgrade your phone for awhile, the Droid RAZR is expected to get Android 4.0 in early 2012. This would put it on a level playing field with the Galaxy Nexus. It will be interesting to see how both launches are executed and the initial reaction from consumers.

Do we have any Motorola fanboys in the audience? Convince me why the Droid RAZR is better than the Galaxy Nexus.

Update: Ok someone is having fun with me. As soon as I hit publish, Motorola switched the product listing back to OMAP4430. The mystery continues.

Source: Motorola

• Shanikwa Johnson

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

• pasmith

Or maybe they had it wrong? Right now it says:

Processor and memory
    PROCESSOR TI OMAP4430
    PROCESSOR CLOCK SPEED 1.2 GHz
    RAM 1 GB
    INTERNAL STORAGE 16 GB
    REMOVABLE STORAGE TYPE microSDHC
    REMOVABLE STORAGE (MAX) 32 GB

• http://goo.gl/tQ2E wwJOSHdo

• http://goo.gl/tQ2E wwJOSHdo

• ddpacino

• JAQ

That’s my ONLY sticking point… I crack 3 gigs almost evvery month on 3G only with Sprint. I’m horrified of what would happen with a Verizon plan lol …. I’ll definitely have to go with the 5GB minimum… But I think I can manage… NEXUS for me!!! I still dread the day I didn’t get the Nexus One.

• Richard Yarrell

Yes sir, I agree with you 100% I am a current EVO 3D owner and will also be picking up the Galaxy Nexus on Verizon on day one launch day. This is my very first pure google device as well as first Samsung device so YES i am happy right about now…Sprint will always remain that will never change…The best of both worlds what more can anyone want..

• snowbdr89

You’re fat ass bashes vzw day in day out but you’re going to buy a vzw phone?

• Grammar Police

Proper usage of “Your” and “You’re”

Your

Your is the second person possessive adjective, used to describe something as belonging to you. Your is nearly always followed by a noun.

What is your name?

Is this your pen?

Your book is on the table.

This is your chair and this is mine.

What happened to your dog?

Your being here is causing some problems.

You’re

You’re is the contraction of “you are” and is often followed by the present participle (verb form ending in -ing).

You’re going to be late.

Is that what you’re wearing?

I think you’re lying.

If you’re ready, we can go.

I can’t believe you’re a doctor!

When you’re my age, you’ll understand.

• snowbdr89

YOU’RE YOU’RE YOU’RE YOUR’E YOUR’E YOU’RE YOU’RE YOU’RE YOU’RE YOU’RE YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU”””””RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

• Brandon Holley

So let’s get this straight, your going with the NEXUS because it gets the fastest updates, not because samsung has better hardware that won’t crap out on you? Software over hardware is a very dangerous route to go on my friend. Tread carefully.

• Steve Schleis

Fortunately the Nexus screen kicks ass, so the hardware that matters is better….

• Rick

I like Motorola. I have the Atrix now, and I’d buy another Motorola in a heartbeat. They’ve got the “phone” function down pat, their speakers are loud and clear, and the GPS is absolutely fantastic. I also love the battery life from my Atrix. The only thing I’d change is the screen (my son’s Samsung is better than my Atrix in the screen department). But Motorola’s newest phones are coming with much improved screens — hence, I’d definitely pick up another Moto phone. I just hope they offer something similar to the RAZR on AT&T. They gotta get rid of that hump on the back, though. Less noticeable on the RAZR than on the Droid X, but still there.

• iHateiPhone

what did u mean by “updated: maybe not”?

• Ben Gildenstein

I think you mean, “The Same System On Chip (SoC)”. The Cortex A9 CPU found in the RAZR is identical across a myriad of devices including the Nexus Prime.

• Darren

Also noticed from the Moto RAZR spec sheet that it supports Bluetooth v4.0 LE + EDR.

• Mike C

If you live outside the US then stick with the Samsung phone. For the Motorola Xoom we are still wairing for Android 3.2 – 4 months after it was released.

• loloolololo

For the record they said early Q1 2012, that means anywhere from january to march i do believe. In other words yes it would be the same wait since it comes out in november, or you can always wait for 2012 “year of the quad-core”

• Nathan

I thought it was OMAP 4430, lol

• SparK

Google bought Motorola a while ago didn’t it?
    not sure what you mean by saying motorola is not “pure” Google

• Ihater :P

pure google solely means that it comes without a manufacturer skin on top. like how moto phones come with motoblur, how HTC phones come with sense, or how samsung comes with touchwiz(crappies UI to date). nexus phones are notorious for having no skins as well as the first updates because its a developers phone more or less.

• NeoJesus
  1. Shanikwa JohnsonGuest 4 years ago

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

2. pasmithGuest 4 years ago

Or maybe they had it wrong? Right now it says:

Processor and memory
    PROCESSOR TI OMAP4430
    PROCESSOR CLOCK SPEED 1.2 GHz
    RAM 1 GB
    INTERNAL STORAGE 16 GB
    REMOVABLE STORAGE TYPE microSDHC
    REMOVABLE STORAGE (MAX) 32 GB

3. I have Sprint. I am gonna get the Galaxy Nexus no matter what! It will get every upgrade before any other none “pure” Google phone does! Plus will be rootable! Unlike most carriers and manufacturers that try to LOCK down the phone to keep such things from happening!

• When I said I’m GONNA get it, I meant what I said! Whether I have to switch carriers or stay with Sprint!

• I’m switching to Verizon. Cool with a 107/mo plan, 4GB + hotspot data plan for $50 included. Cannot WAIT to get my hands on this phone!

• JAQGuest 4 years ago

• Richard YarrellGuest 4 years ago

• snowbdr89Guest 4 years ago

You’re fat ass bashes vzw day in day out but you’re going to buy a vzw phone?

• Grammar PoliceGuest 4 years ago

Proper usage of “Your” and “You’re”

Your

What is your name?

Is this your pen?

Your book is on the table.

This is your chair and this is mine.

What happened to your dog?

Your being here is causing some problems.

You’re

You’re going to be late.

Is that what you’re wearing?

I think you’re lying.

If you’re ready, we can go.

I can’t believe you’re a doctor!

When you’re my age, you’ll understand.

• snowbdr89Guest 4 years ago

• Brandon HolleyGuest 4 years ago

4. RickGuest 4 years ago

5. iHateiPhoneGuest 4 years ago

what did u mean by “updated: maybe not”?

6. Ben GildensteinGuest 4 years ago

7. DarrenGuest 4 years ago

8. Mike CGuest 4 years ago

• loloolololoGuest 4 years ago

9. I thought it was OMAP 4430, lol

10. SparKGuest 4 years ago

Google bought Motorola a while ago didn’t it?
    not sure what you mean by saying motorola is not “pure” Google