Oct 18 AT 12:00 PM Taylor Wimberly 43 Comments

Motorola unveils the Droid RAZR, CEO boasts it’s “the best smartphone on the planet”

droid-razr-post-image

Today Motorola unveiled their latest best-smartphone-of-the-month, the Verizon Droid RAZR. Hardware specs were what we expected, but there were a few surprises that led Motorola CEO Sanjay Jha to claim this is the “the best smartphone on the planet.”

Highlights of the Droid RAZR include 4.3-inch Super AMOLED Advanced display with qHD resolution, 1.2 GHz dual-core OMAP4460 processor, 1GB RAM, thickness of only 7.1mm (“World’s thinnest smartphone”), 8 megapixel rear-camera with dual-LED flash and autofocus and support for Verizon’s 4G LTE network.

Unfortunately, the Droid RAZR will still ship with a locked bootloader and the battery is not user replaceable this time around.

When it comes to software, the Droid RAZR will ship with Android 2.3 Gingerbread and Motorola’s don’t-call-it-Motoblur UI. No word was given about future support for Ice Cream Sandwich, but we can almost guarantee it will be coming to the device sometime next year via an over-the-air update.

Motorola also included new software called Smart Actions that can extend the battery life to an amazing 12.5 hours talk time or 8.9 hours of video playback. Smart Actions looks very similar to Locale in that it can automatically adjust your phone’s settings based on your location.

Verizon will begin pre-orders on October 27, and the device will be available in stores “in November” for the premium price of $299 with 2-year contract. For the global markets, the device will be called the Motorola RAZR and will also be available in November.

Fans of accessories will have plenty to choose from. Motorola will introduce the 10.1-inch Lapdock 100 and the 14-inch Lapdock 400, Smart Controller remote, wireless keyboard with trackpad, HD dock and vehicle navigation dock.

Overall, this truly does appear to be “the world’s best smartphone.” At least for another nine hours.

We have several boots on the ground in New York to check out the Droid RAZR, so be on the lookout for hands-on impressions later today. More as it develops…

Update: Here is a bonus hands-on video from Nilay Patel of This is my Next.

droid-razr-post-image razr1 razr2 razr3 razr4 razr5 razr6

Source: Motorola

• Edgar Cervantes

Best smartphone of the day! Until tonight! lol

• James

Idk, despite the fact that it’s made by Motorola, this thing is looking reallllyyy nice! we’ll seee!

• ags29

Leave the logos for the back!!

• locked down

does it reboot?

• Robbie Gerling

best smartphone on the planet… for a whopping 9 hours methinks :)

• triangle

• juan

i ordered a bionic this weekend for 1 cent on amazonwireless. i figure i have 30 days to play with it before the nexus and razr come out.

• Sway_212

• T1392

• Nate B.

Lets see what the Nexus improves on as far as software, and new features.

• Splendor

This is pretty amazing. The original V3 RAZR phone that freaked everyone’s bean with it’s thinness (~14mm) in 2004 was almost twice as thick as this new Droid RAZR (7.1mm).

When you follow the progress on a daily basis it’s easy to lose sight of how much progress the mobile industry has made.

• inviolable

• Louis

I really would have being getting on this phone if I knew when it will get ice cream. I like the 4.3 size display.

• DROID Sam

You can’t claim a 7mm thin body when the camera sticks out ano additional 4-5mm. If that was the case I’d make a phone that tapers off into a sharp edge and claim that it’s less than 1mm and call it the Blade – “so thin it’ll cut you”

• Tony

Well when 90 percent of the phone is 7mm then works for me. As long as the part of the phone that’s thin is the part my hand wraps around then makes sense. If only a tiny part of it was 7mm you’d have an argument, but vast majority is 7mm, tho it’s still slightly deceptive advertising as you say. What I don’t like is how the Nexus has it’s bulge at the bottom where I hold it. Not to say I won’t still get the next Nexus ;)

• http://None CaribGrackle

• Matthew H

The phone is definitely Motorola’s best phone to date, but when compared to the true 720P phones coming out, it might look me-too. But, for those who don’t want a monster phone (4.5″ plus) and like thinness, this is an excellent option. I am on Verizon, and I will evaluate this versus the Galaxy Nexsus and HTC Rezound come Nov and will definitely be buying one of them. Very likely it will be the Galaxy Nexsus, but I am entertaining all phones until I get to touch them and see what they have. Also my wife is also due for an upgrade, so she may look at them as well, but she might go for the smaller Iphone 4S. We will see.

• Crickerman

The build quality sounds amazing

• BiGMERF

how about they mke the phone thicker with a better battery

• http://www.spicy-mag.com Spicy Magazine

Wouldn’t that be great. Phones get thinner and batter life gets worse.
      Nothing like a thin ass phone that dies in 3 hours.

• Richard Yarrell

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

• http://androidandme.com Taylor Wimberly

I’ve played with the Rezound. I think this RAZR easily tops it.

• sean

Best looking smart phone until tonight..

If it had ics that would be sexy. i cant stand motoblur though..

Wait 1 month after it comes out and amazon will be selling it for 1 cent.

• BiGMERF
    • http://ArtisticAbode.com BetterWithRoot

• aj

• swazedahustla

Best?? Well considering

1. Its a motorola
    2. Locked Bootloader
    3. Moto “insert UI name”

Not close to best anything, but perhaps best verizon phone.

• babadush

Best at what? Sucking?

• tom

Can anyone tell me what is the absolute thinnest a smartphone can get with current technology? Thanks!

7.1mm
    6.0mm?
    5.0mm?
    4.0mm?
    Lower than 4.0mm???

• Rashad

• Nathan

Best phone on Verizon not the planet until later tonight =)

• mike

nice to see these companies realize samoled is were its at

• Mike

thinnest……………NOT!!!! It’s cheating to measure the thickness on the thinnest part of the phone!! The thickness should measure the thickness part of the phone!!! The phone is not exactly 7.1mm!!!

• kwills88

• mabroid

I think it looks horrible. Very dated and dingy
    Hope its not coming to the UK….

• aj

• Steven

No ICS… No Thanks!

• Sam

Peeps are excepting to see the nicest phone tonight! i doubt it. the nexus was never the nicest or teh best specs. the nexus is has the best software. THAT’S IT

• http://twitter.com/scififan2715 Aaron Birnbaum

I see Moto left in the CRT animation this time around :)

• Moe H.

C’mon thats way too thin lol, its gonna cut right through ur hands lmaooo
    # Galaxy Nexus

• Rising33

• thechad

cool looking phone

1. Best smartphone of the day! Until tonight! lol

• JamesGuest 4 years ago

• It would look nicer if it didn’t have the huge MOTOROLA and Verizon logos right in your face! I think phones would look so much nicer (and cleaner) if they didn’t contain all these manufacturer logos on the front.

Leave the logos for the back!!

• locked downGuest 4 years ago

does it reboot?

2. Robbie GerlingGuest 4 years ago

best smartphone on the planet… for a whopping 9 hours methinks :)

3. It’s better than the bionic. I guess Verizon will have to discount those to get them out the door.

• juanGuest 4 years ago

4. Well…at least it can retain the “World’s Thinnest Smartphone” for longer than that…I think!

5. Love the Droid Razr name, kinda diggin’ the look, & I am a Motorola fan(minus the locked bootloader), BUT I’m more of an Ice Cream Sandwich man! =)

6. I’ll admit it has what android was lacking as far as battery, thinness(SGSII handled that, they improved), talk time, video play back.

Lets see what the Nexus improves on as far as software, and new features.

7. SplendorGuest 4 years ago

• Damn that was just 2004.. You couldn’t step out your house without seeing Razrs everywhere. If you get caught with a flip phone today, you’d get banished.

8. LouisGuest 4 years ago

9. DROID SamGuest 4 years ago

• TonyGuest 4 years ago

10. A must buy for me if the Nexus never gets to my country, looks good, has some nice specs and I’ve enjoyed my share of Morotola’s phones before, never had an smartphone by them before though. So yeah, I’ll wait for the ICS/Nexus unveil and see what Samsung has to offer and what the Big G has under the sleeve.

11. Matthew HGuest 4 years ago

12. CrickermanGuest 4 years ago

The build quality sounds amazing

13. how about they mke the phone thicker with a better battery

• Spicy MagazineGuest 4 years ago

Wouldn’t that be great. Phones get thinner and batter life gets worse.
      Nothing like a thin ass phone that dies in 3 hours.

14. Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

15. seanGuest 4 years ago

Best looking smart phone until tonight..

If it had ics that would be sexy. i cant stand motoblur though..

Wait 1 month after it comes out and amazon will be selling it for 1 cent.

• I agree, even though it’s a Razr, not being able to do a battery pull is a no go for me. I know the devs can crack the bootloader (I have faith in their skillz). Even running non-rooted phones, I’ve had to do a battery pull to get it to come back. I know when people get stuck in boot loops one of the cures is a battery pull; if the devs are unable to do that, will they even attempt to crack the phone? I understand that it’s a Razr which holds nostalgia, but one of the reasons I went with Android is being able to replace\pull the battery, or replace it with a more powerful extended battery.

• its very true and a shame. I dont like this trend towards removable batteries. Is it not possible to keep that same form factor and thinness by keeping a removable battery? really come on now. Bootloader for sure. But this phone was almost perfect. Removable battery, unlocked bootloader and ICS un blurred. But one can only dream. I do hope the Nexus takes a couple of things from motos playbook. Mostly the stainless steel frame and kevlar fiber

16. swazedahustlaGuest 4 years ago

Best?? Well considering

1. Its a motorola
    2. Locked Bootloader
    3. Moto “insert UI name”

Not close to best anything, but perhaps best verizon phone.

17. babadushGuest 4 years ago

Best at what? Sucking?

18. tomGuest 4 years ago

7.1mm
    6.0mm?
    5.0mm?
    4.0mm?
    Lower than 4.0mm???

19. Very nice! Although I kinda wished Moto resurrected the flip form factor to go along with the RAZR name. Smartphones are all going with the bar format; so boring.

20. Best phone on Verizon not the planet until later tonight =)

21. mikeGuest 4 years ago

nice to see these companies realize samoled is were its at

22. MikeGuest 4 years ago

23. I have a feeling that hump at the top makes this phone feels really great in yours hands…if motobleh wasn’t on it, opinions might be different.

24. I think it looks horrible. Very dated and dingy
    Hope its not coming to the UK….

25. Look i know the thing just literally came out. But i want to hear more opinions and facts about the advantages or disadvantages of the build of this thing. I want to hear more about its stainless steel frame,kevlar fiber, and the moto splash guard. Because that sounds like an awsomely resiliant phone that would last. Of course im looking forward to full reviews and stuff but i want to hear more about the 3 things just mentioned and the fact that all this was packed into what possibly might be the thinnest phone.

26. StevenGuest 4 years ago

No ICS… No Thanks!

27. SamGuest 4 years ago

28. Aaron BirnbaumGuest 4 years ago

I see Moto left in the CRT animation this time around :)

29. Moe H.Guest 4 years ago

C’mon thats way too thin lol, its gonna cut right through ur hands lmaooo
    # Galaxy Nexus

30. The phone’s design is nice all around, other than the weird tapered edges. If I didn’t have a Sensation 4g, and if I wasn’t on Tmo, I would definitely consider this phone. Seems like Motorola was consentrating on design quality rather than packing their phones with specs like a can of sardines..lol. At the speeds these phones are coming off the assembly line I will stick with my Sensation for at least a year and wait till quad core technology polishes up before buying one. I have been changing phones more than I do my socks the last three years and have had every single Android device Tmobile has brought out since the G1. I m tired, lol.