Oct 20 AT 8:51 AM Nick Gray 18 Comments

How to root the HTC Amaze 4G

htc_amaze_4G_root

Editor’s Note: Rooting your device will void your warranty and, though highly unlikely if you follow directions carefully, could brick your device. We take no responsibility for damage to your device caused by the rooting process.

The HTC Amaze 4G has only been on the market for a few short weeks, but developers have been staying up late into the night working to gain root access for the phone.  A few temporary root solutions have popped up over the past week or so, but now you can permanently root the T-Mobile HTC Amaze 4G with a simple, one-click root option developed by xboarder56 on XDA-Developers.

The One Click Perm Root tool gives Amaze 4G users permanent root access, as long as you already have an unlocked bootloader. Those who are not willing to use the official HTCDev bootloader unlocking tool will need to rerun the process every time you restart your phone.

HTC Amaze 4G root instructions:

1. Download and install HTC drivers on your computer.
  2. Connect the HTC Amaze to your computer via USB.
  3. Turn on USB debugging Menu > Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging.
  4. Download xboarder56’s One Click Perm Root tool.
  5. Extract zip file to C:.
  6. Click ZergRushTempRoot.bat.
  7. Wait about three minutes.
  8. Reboot.
  9. Enjoy your HTC Amaze 4G with full root access.

For more details about xboarder56’s HTC Amaze One Click Root tool, check out the official thread on XDA-Developers. A custom recovery is still being worked on, but in the meantime you can start using all your favorite applications that require root access.

If you do decide to root your HTC Amaze 4G, let us know how the process goes and what you plan to do with root access on your phone.

Source: XDA-Developers

• http://htcsource.com Nick Gray

• Edgar Cervantes

I was thinking the same thing…. lol

• john

Explain useful Now, after root your phone thee list of best root apps
      SuperSU
      SCR Screen Recorder Free
      Titanium Backup
      Root Explorer
      ROM Toolbox Pro
      WiFi Key Recovery
      Greenify
      Dsploit
      System App Remover (ROOT)

• Nathan

one down __ more to go

• Newbee

I am super new to android and I know what rooting is and adding new roms etc. but (please don’t blast me for asking such an ignorant question, I’m new to android) why root this phone. I know in the past it was to enable tethering and wifi hotspot capabilities is that still the case with this phone? And if not is the only gain for custom ROMS and Apps that require root access? Will rooting overclock the processor too? And last (I know lots of questions) what is the advantage of having a custom ROM. Thank you all in advance for your suggestions.

• http://htcsource.com Nick Gray

Wow, lots of questions. But I’ll do my best to answer them all.

1. The Amaze 4G does have T-Mobile’s wifi hotspot app, so root is not needed for this purpose
      2. Root and S-OFF are needed to flash custom ROMs
      3. Root is required to remove pre-installed system apps, take screenshots, backup and restore user apps, apps, data, and market links, and other general purpose hacks.
      4. Root is typically required to overclock a phone’s processor
      5. Having a custom ROM allows for more customization and a clean build with no carrier bloatware. The Amaze 4G has nearly 20 apps pre-installed (most of which you may never use) which can be downloaded form the market.

• newbee

Great start thanks Nick. I’m starting at square one so again please forgive my ignorance.
        I have NO idea what S-OFF is.. :-( However, this sounds to me like something I would enjoy trying to do, if for no other reason than to have more options. I’m an options kinda guy, that’s why I’m here now. I’ve never tried to do this but would love to have an overclocked processor and none of that bloatware. Custom ROM seems nice, but how many are there to choose from? Went to T-mo yesterday and saw this phone and SGSII. In my opinion this phone looks and feels better but SGSII has some AMAZING pop on the screen especially on a few HD trailers that I watched on both to compare. I have an old mt3g and have been using it waiting for something worth going to but I’m new to flashing ROMS and customization. Was pretty unimpressed by Nexus Prime with 1.2 ghz dual core these other 2 I’m talking about are 1.5 dual core. Like I said I’m new to all of this custom stuff even though I’ve had android, but seems like they kinda went backwards to me. If I’m gonna get a phone it’s going to be something with better hardware not the ICS cuz I’m pretty sure ICS will come to both of these platforms. I just didn’t like the UI that samsung had, but loved sense UI of HTC (I think that’s sense) Like I said I’m just now really starting to dive in head first here even though I’ve had an android forever.

• http://htcsource.com Nick Gray

If you have lived without root on your myTouch 3G for this long, there’s probably no reason to root and flash custom ROMs to a new phone. Android 2.3.4 is amazing and HTC Sense 3.0 has some incredible features (if you like it).

Root gives you super user access to the phone, but you don’t really need it unless you’re not satisfied with the phone and want to take matters into your own hands. I have rooted all the phones I have owned, but I typically only use apps with root access once in a blue moon and it’s usually because I’m doing something out of the ordinary for a blog post.

• Mike

Hey Nick, just wanted to know that if I just want to delete the carrier bloatware from the Amaze can I do that with just rooting or do I need S-off?

• El Pablo

Rooting an android device does allow you install custom ROMs, which can run smoother and be lighter on the performance of the device. Basically, it will likely run faster and be more responsive.

The BIGGEST part is that custom ROMs also tend to increase battery life. This isn’t always the case, but my Google G2 gets RIDICULOUS battery life from when I opened the box and when I flashed my first ROM.

Likely I’ll get this phone in Dec., and I’ll root it right off the bat.

• steve

i cannot root my phone
    it keep on saying Read-only file system

any solutions??

• Eric

I followed the direction above on my htc dev boot locked phone. However, while the batch file was running I got repeated errors about the directory being wrong, so SU never installed. Any ideas? I have HTC Amaze.

• JERRY

i have htc amaze but the wireless tethering is locked. how can i unlock it? i do not want to pay tmobile $15/month

• DP

Did you find an answer to this yet?

• DP

Did you find an answer to this yet? I wanted to do the same also so checking if you were able to.

• Melvin

Hi Guys,

I’m thinking to use temporary root for HTC Amaze just to install some apps and games do you have any idea if temporary root access will delete all my files in the phone? Because I read some post in the net that if you do not unlock your bootloader it will be just like a temporary root. Unlocking bootloader will delete all your files right?

Thank you in advance.

• Fuck

Fuck you you son of a bitch, dot com.

• Hani

I have an HTC Amaze 4G running ICS 4.0.3 and sense 3.6.I have unlocked the bootloader of my phone using HTCDEV.com.There are some things that i want to do, but dont know how.So if someone can help me with that is greatly appreciated.
    I want to be able to put custom rom on my HTC Amaze 4G.
    I want my phone to be S-off
    I want to have root access of my phone.
    I have read lot of post regarding this but none of them is for ICS,all the things i read was for ginger bread.I dont have ginger bread any longer.But i do have a recovery of my old ginger bread rom on my PC.This recovery was made using Clock work mode recovery.
    Hani

1. I’m tempted to root the Amaze 4G demo unit I got from HTC yesterday. I’m sure they would love that!

2. one down __ more to go

3. NewbeeGuest 4 years ago

• Wow, lots of questions. But I’ll do my best to answer them all.

2. Root and S-OFF are needed to flash custom ROMs
      4. Root is typically required to overclock a phone’s processor

• newbeeGuest 4 years ago

• If you’re not sold on waiting for the galaxy Nexus, I’d recommend the Amaze 4G. I’ve been using a demo unit for about a day now and really love it.

• MikeGuest 3 years ago

• El PabloGuest 4 years ago

Likely I’ll get this phone in Dec., and I’ll root it right off the bat.

4. steveGuest 3 years ago

i cannot root my phone
    it keep on saying Read-only file system

any solutions??

5. EricGuest 3 years ago

6. JERRYGuest 3 years ago

7. MelvinGuest 3 years ago

Hi Guys,

Thank you in advance.

8. FuckGuest 3 years ago

Fuck you you son of a bitch, dot com.

9. HaniGuest 3 years ago

I want to be able to put custom rom on my HTC Amaze 4G.
    I want my phone to be S-off
    I want to have root access of my phone.
    Hani