Oct 19 AT 8:52 AM Anthony Domanico 43 Comments

Steve Ballmer: Android is for computer science geeks

Evil_Ballmer

Steve Ballmer must be living in some kind of fantasy world. At the web 2.0 summit in San Francisco yesterday, Steve railed into Android, stating that Android phones are only for geeky computer scientists.

You don’t need to be a computer scientist to use a Windows phone and you do to use and Android phone…It is hard for me to be excited about the Android phones.Steve BallmerMicrosoft

I don’t know about you, but I’m not a computer scientist. I’m willing to bet that most of the 550,000+ people who buy Android phones every day are not computer scientists either. (Unless, of course, I completely don’t understand what qualifies as a computer scientist). With Android growing at an exponential rate and Windows Phone 7 struggling to gain traction in the crowded smartphone market, it seems the average consumer is on Google’s side with this one.

We’re sorry that nobody in the press was around to cover your keynote, Steve. We were all tuned in to Hong Kong to watch Google revolutionize the mobile industry.

Via: Engadget

Source: Telegraph

Anthony loves all things technology, from hardware to apps and games. You can connect with him via Google+ or Twitter by clicking one of the fancy doo-dads above.

• kid_352003

Thanks Steve for letting me know I am smart and that everyone that uses WP7 are dummies. Its no wonder Android own so much market share to WP7 with comments like he make. Bill G needs to come back before you run his company into the ground. WP7 & Zune are dead in the water!!

• JustSayin

Just as Android painted a picture of iOS users, Microsoft is doing the same thing by stereotyping Android users. In the mindshare game, perception is king!

• Kim

I guess I’ll have to tell my English & Spanish major, Communication masters brother he has to give me (Computer Science/Business major) his EVO 4G. He will be pretty disappointed, he loves it.

• hinds

I should get a different job if I’m a computer scientist!!! Its funny that Microsoft has to pump oems with money just to have unrelevent wp7 marketed. I also guess high-school kids are computer scientists also!!!

• lostsync

A) I think the fact that a computer scientist would likely run from your product speaks volumes about it.
    B) I’m sure it’s pretty difficult to be excited about something that is, combined with iOS, making WP7 nearly irrelevant.

As an aside, I’m glad Microsoft is at least trying with WP7, Ballmer being a raving lunatic notwithstanding. They’re doing things a bit differently and it’s fun to watch the push and pull between the three software makers, see which ideas resonate with people, and which are total flops. I also think that it really takes three players to drive innovation in a meaningful way and MS is as good of a third player as any.

• DK

shot himself in the foot there.. when Android is less complicated than Windows.

also you guys have a slight misquote btw:

.. “and” you do to use an Android phone -> should be “but”…

• http://www.anthonydomanico.com Anthony Domanico

• DK

aah, k (I only clicked on the engadget reference) which I see references telegraph

.. looks like Engadget’s the one with the misquote

• Kenwen

I think we need to start a campaign getting all android hotties (male & female) to send in pix of themselves and their phones

Preferably in bikinis ;-)

• Nathan

He just mad over event got more press and hype then his beloved window phones

• droiddewd

• pechano

Correction:
    Android is ALSO for computer science geeks.

• Justin

My 60 yr old mother uses android. And based on the amount of calls I get to help her with her WINDOWS computer, I can assure you that she is not a computer scientist.

• Tangent

• E

Wow Steve thanks for letting all of us Android user know how much more smater we are but we been knew that the min we decited to go with Android and not any other smart phone OS

• babadush

He actually complimented all of us. Lol. Everyone else even his user base are stupid.

• NoName

Wow! 56% of smartphone users are computer scientist… I feel good owning an Android now :) via Sanjay Vyas on twitter.

• eddieonofre

But i think he is right if you have no brain you are better using and iPhone, if you have one you use an Android, and in the case that you do have a brain but you dont like customization get a f***ing windows

• phoebetech

First Steve Jobs calls Android users ‘too geeky’ now Steve Ballmer!
    Hey, I like being called geeky but now I wonder how does both Steve Jobs/Apple and Steve Ballmer/Microsoft see their own users.

• http://www.technogasms.com Sean Riley

• http://www.3for.tv 3for.tv

I don’t get it.

Samsung sues Apple, trying to get Apple product banned in certain counties… yet sells billions in hardware to Apple to be installed on those phones.

Ballmer says Android is for nerds, yet his company gets at least $5 “tax” on every Android device sold.

How does this make sense?

• http://ArtisticAbode.com BetterWithRoot

If it makes dollars it doesn’t have to make sense.

• Starship

This sounds more like a political campaign than anything else.

“Android sucks, come to Windows phone instead!”

“What’s so great about Windows phone?”

“Uh, its not Android?”

“That’s a good reason. Where do I sign up?”

• inviolable

I respected Bill Gates, but Balmer needs to go play in traffic somewhere.

• Luis

Maybe Steve should step down as Microsoft’s CEO. I’ve never liked this guy and can’t believe that a moron like this making these kind of comments should be in charge of a company of this size. Gates should fire this clown and get a good CEO.

• nephariouz

There’s Windows based phones still? Who Knew???

• babadush

I’ve only seen one post on facebook made with a windows phone. Never actually seen someone use one in person. They are illusive like mermaids

• EightBitJoker

I have, it’s not bad at all. What’s hurting it is unnecessary marketing like this.

• http://ArtisticAbode.com BetterWithRoot

I’m soo going to use this at my next job interview.

“What makes you qualified for this position”

Holds up Android phone, “Steve Ballmer likes to think of me as a computer scientist.”

• DannyAg

Hey! Steve Ballmer, my 5 year old kid uses my android phone without a problem, can he get a job at Microsoft? He is qualified as Computer Science Geek

• BiGMERF

PS: I love my 360.. lol

• http://None CaribGrackle

That’s ok, I’m a proud geek computer scientist.

• AppleFUD

Well Ballmer. . . .

My Win7 laptop is my last Windows device. Actually, it will be my last device with Microsoft on it.

I’m so sick and tired of dealing with Microsoft’s bugs all the time. Nothing ever works like it should. There’s always some stupid little problem. (Mac is the same–they just don’t have as much hardware & software to cause as many problems.)

I see no reason to get a tablet with a 16GB OS installed on it. What is it going to do with all that extra bloat installed? My dishes? NO! It isn’t going to do a frackin thing more than any other tablet out there–it runs programs and what what I use to get work done, software that is NOT the OS.

Add to that your craptastic attitude of screwing any other company other that is in competition and well. . . . you can go FUCK yourself.

• ncb1010

So, he is recommending Android to his employees?

• xProteus

problem is, judging by the products M$ ships out, they’re probably not using android…

• iSlackerz

I’m thinking of all the people that I know with Android phones. My grandmother, 3 aunts, 2 uncles, 4 cousins, wife, 3 friends and 5 coworkers. I’m the only one that’s a computer science geek, oddly enough.

1 out of 20, I’d say that’s a fair assessment, Steve. /s

• snowbdr89

Science geeks + brains = android. Dumb people = windows phones

• Kelly

Android being only for comp-sci geeks fails to explain the appeal it has with many people I know who are from a different background. I guess I would say “Windows is for people whose metabolism is so low they’re simply unaware that something besides Windows exists, and is infinitely better than it in every imaginable way.”

• JH

Nope, I’m not a computer scientist – I’m a philosopher.
    My sister aren’t a computer scientist – she works with communication.
    My parents aren’t computer scientists, based on the problems they have with their windows computer.
    We just love the better product which is the open environment Android :)

• Rashad

Sith Ballmer doesn’t really work here, but I never get tired seeing it!

I am in comp science and I have found that being able to go deeper into android’s customizations was a little easier with my skill. It pains me to see someone who isn’t tech savvy not “properly” using their Android. lol

I’m not saying you need to have a background in comp science to use Android, but it certainly opens many doors.

I guess I halfway agree with Ballmer on this one.

• Balls_deep

C’mon everyone, Ballmer was just introducing the new Windows Phone 7 marketing campaign.

The new tag-line: “Hey, you look like a dumba**. Buy a Windows phone!”

• EightBitJoker

1. kid_352003Guest 4 years ago

• JustSayinGuest 4 years ago

2. KimGuest 4 years ago

3. hindsGuest 4 years ago

4. lostsyncGuest 4 years ago

5. DKGuest 4 years ago

shot himself in the foot there.. when Android is less complicated than Windows.

also you guys have a slight misquote btw:

.. “and” you do to use an Android phone -> should be “but”…

• It’s reported different ways in Engadget and Telegraph. Engadget cited Telegraph as their source, so I used the quote from Telegraph (which uses And)

• DKGuest 4 years ago

.. looks like Engadget’s the one with the misquote

6. KenwenGuest 4 years ago

Preferably in bikinis ;-)

7. He just mad over event got more press and hype then his beloved window phones

8. Thanks, Mr. Ballmer I already knew I was a geek and I have an affinity for computer science but wasn’t aware I had a degree in it. But I’m sure, Mr Ballmer, that saying it takes a brain to operate an Android phone and any average dolt can use a Windows phone wasn’t really the compliment/insult you were hoping it was. Glad, I am on the better side of that statement though. LOL

9. Correction:
    Android is ALSO for computer science geeks.

10. JustinGuest 4 years ago

11. Does this mean that my Android-using librarian wife should be asking for a pay raise? Computer Scientists has got to pay more than librarian right?

12. EGuest 4 years ago

13. NoNameGuest 4 years ago

14. wait!!! microsoft is using the same words apple has been using to attack windows.

15. phoebetechGuest 4 years ago

First Steve Jobs calls Android users ‘too geeky’ now Steve Ballmer!

16. Hasn’t Ballmer ever heard that the geeks shall inherit the earth? He better watch himself.

17. 3for.tvGuest 4 years ago

I don’t get it.

How does this make sense?

18. This sounds more like a political campaign than anything else.

“Android sucks, come to Windows phone instead!”

“What’s so great about Windows phone?”

“Uh, its not Android?”

“That’s a good reason. Where do I sign up?”

19. I respected Bill Gates, but Balmer needs to go play in traffic somewhere.

20. LuisGuest 4 years ago

21. There’s Windows based phones still? Who Knew???

22. I’m soo going to use this at my next job interview.

“What makes you qualified for this position”

23. DannyAgGuest 4 years ago

24. What a douche… I took this attack personally !! why is underestimating the pubic like this its a childish comment !

PS: I love my 360.. lol

25. That’s ok, I’m a proud geek computer scientist.

26. AppleFUDGuest 4 years ago

Well Ballmer. . . .

27. ncb1010Guest 4 years ago

So, he is recommending Android to his employees?

28. iSlackerzGuest 4 years ago

1 out of 20, I’d say that’s a fair assessment, Steve. /s

29. snowbdr89Guest 4 years ago

Science geeks + brains = android. Dumb people = windows phones

30. KellyGuest 4 years ago

31. JHGuest 4 years ago

Nope, I’m not a computer scientist – I’m a philosopher.
    My sister aren’t a computer scientist – she works with communication.
    We just love the better product which is the open environment Android :)

32. Sith Ballmer doesn’t really work here, but I never get tired seeing it!

I guess I halfway agree with Ballmer on this one.

33. Balls_deepGuest 4 years ago

The new tag-line: “Hey, you look like a dumba**. Buy a Windows phone!”

34. I find this amusing as, just the other day I overheard a mother and her teenage daughter SPECIFICALLY looking for an Android phone in the mall :))