Frozen Yogurt is delicious, but you have to change things up after a while. The original Samsung Galaxy Tab has been around for about a year now, marking the beginning of the tablet wars. While it is definitely not the best tablet around, many of us hold it very close to our hearts.
If you happen to still be a proud owner of one of these 7-inch Froyo tablets, you might be in for a treat. Verizon’s version of the Samsung Galaxy Tab is getting an upgrade to Android 2.3.5 Gingerbread, and it’s time to start checking for OTA updates.
Aside from Gingerbread (which should make the tablet much better in and of its own), Verizon/Samsung is also throwing in some extra improvements and features. Let’s take a look at the list:
Email and Messaging
- Improved Word Selection and Copy Functionality:
New capability to select a word via press-hold. A second press
of the selected word copies the selected characters.
Web Browsing and Data Access
- The “View Data Plan” icon has been added to replace the “Music Player”
icon on the homescreen. Using this function, a Pay-As-You-Go user
can adjust their Data Service subscription. Month-to-Month users can
continue to use the “My Verizon Mobile” app to monitor their data usage.
- A “Verizon Data Service” feature has been added to the Settings
menu. Using this function, Galaxy Tab users can view their current
plan and usage, learn how to change service plans and activate or
renew data services.
Device Features and Applications
- Download Manager App:
New App to manage all of your downloads from web browsing,
email attachments and other apps.
- App and Power Management Details:
Under Manage Applications, a new “Running” tab displays a list of
active applications and the storage and memory being used by each.
- Use the front-facing camera as a camcorder. Alternate between the
front-facing camera and camcorder with the slide of a switch.
- Download App icon now displays within the Applications page.
- Widgets will resize to accurately reflect landscape or portrait mode.
- Enhanced display options have been added (wallpaper, color density, etc.).
- Supports Verizon Pay As You Go prepaid data service plans.
- Downloads no longer timeout in Android Market.
- Corrected recorded video orientation.
- Includes Google security patches.
There you go, guys! Though it isn’t Honeycomb, it’s always nice to see updates coming, even if they may be a little late. Go check your software updates and see what your good ol’ Tab has in store for you. Don’t forget to hit the comments and let us know how Gingerbread is treating you. Does the tablet feel much better? Is it enough to keep you from purchasing another device for a while?