Nov 07 AT 3:08 PM Dustin Earley 21 Comments

Motorola Droid 4 launch could be right around the corner

motorola_droid_4

Just as the two-year anniversary celebration for the original Motorola Droid ends, internal Verizon documents have surfaced online that put the Droid 4 on track for a December release.

Uncovered by Droid Life, the Motorola Droid 4 has been spotted in several different Verizon systems that, in the past, have indicated an imminent release. The time between when the Xoom 2 appeared in the same documents and when the device was scheduled to be released was a little over a month. If everything goes according to plan, the Droid 4 could launch as soon as the second week of December. Lending some credibility to this theory are the “in the wild” shots of the Droid 4 that show the device looking mighty close to finished.

Around two weeks ago, pictures of the Droid 4 found their way online. Judging by those pictures, the Droid 4 will have an improved physical keyboard over previous models, with a body similar to the Droid RAZR. As far as rumored specs go, we’re looking at a 1.2 GHz OMAP4430 processor, 4-inch Super AMOLED display, 4G LTE, Android 2.3.5 (at launch), 8 megapixel camera with 1080p video capture, front-facing camera and HDMI out.

Between the RAZR, Droid 4, Galaxy Nexus and HTC Rezound, Verizon is going to have one killer lineup by the end of the year.

droid4-vzw1-650x302 droid4-vzw2-650x336 droid4-1-630x424 droid4-5-630x398

Source: DroidLife

Dustin Earley: Tech enthusiast; avid gamer; all around jolly guy.

• GeauxLSU

Please come with an unlocked bootloader and an NFC chip!!!

• BJ

I strongly doubt it.

• lostsync

I’ve given up on ever getting a proper replacement for my OG Droid…I waited and waited, but the locked bootloader thing is just not going to fly with me, and motorola shows no signs of relenting on that stance.

So Galaxy Nexus it is.

• GeauxLSU

• Marco

The locked bootloader is not Motorola’s choice, but Verizon’s demand.

Same with the Droid RAZR. The US version is locked and the european has unlocked bootloader, no CDMA radio though.

I just hope they make a world phone out of this one. Locked bootloader or not, I want this phone to use here in Europe!

• Slith

My Mom will be able to text in style!

• BigCiX

Didn’t the Droid 3 come out this year?

• http://www.infotainmentempire.com pekosROB

• GeauxLSU

• http://www.infotainmentempire.com pekosROB

I personally feel like releasing too many Droids of the OG Droid lineage sullies the name. I mean they should have pushed back the Droid 3 release and made it LTE with 1 GB of RAM, I mean hell the July release date was before the traditional November date.

• Motorola betrayal

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

• Sturoid

• ram

I agree.. they are coming out with phones by the week! They need to make phones that are good. And have no lag or freeze. And longer battery life rather than coming out with similar phones with the same problems. And not make them to BIG. These are phones. I say 4.65 inches like the google nexus is too big.they need to stick to 4the inch 3.5 inch and maybe 4.3 inches at the largest,

• Doug

Whats the big deal if Motorola is progressive and releases another droid. They are one of the fastest handset manufactures to update the existing handsets.
    I would be still running a OG droid if not for the insurance company hooking me up with a D2.
    Wanted the D3 because of the screen size and keyboard but had to hold off for 4g.
    I am very excited to see such an offering as the D4

• http://www.hunternoctalis.com Chris H

I am really excited for this release. I want the 4G and double RAM over my D3. The RAM will come in very handy for me with remote desktop and Six Gun Galaxy. :)

• TC Infantino

I agree about the locked bootloader being disappointing, but I still feel that Motorola just makes the best quality handsets. The external speakers, the build quality, the antenna and radios, and the designs are all top notch. I have the OG Droid and I have compared with my friends different smartphones, and they all have agreed with me that the Motorola smartphones seem to get the best signal, the calls seem to be louder and clearer, and the phone just seems more solid and sturdy. So even though I will be checking out the HTC Rezound and the Samsung Galazy Nexus, I am pretty sure I will be waiting for the Droid 4 to arrive for my next phone.

P.S. I checked out the Droid RAZR and yes it is a great phone, but it seems way too light and it’s width vs. thickness just doesn’t feel good in my hands. That and I don’t like how they have the USB, HDMI and the headphone jack all on the top.

• JONATHAN

THANK GOD ITS HERE. THE 3 SUX

• http://www.androidfamily.net androidfamily

Just because the inspiration isn’t the design aesthetic doesn’t mean its not inspired by the RAZR…probably just marketing-speak for “we ported the drive-train (processer, chipsets, board-architecture, and peripherals) into a body which has a keyboard”

• DroidPWNsApple

• pritams
  1. Please come with an unlocked bootloader and an NFC chip!!!

• BJGuest 3 years ago

I strongly doubt it.

• lostsyncGuest 3 years ago

So Galaxy Nexus it is.

• I’m feeling the same way you are. Unless my OG Droid totally craps out on me, I’m willing to keep waiting until February or March to see what the first part of 2012 has in store.

• MarcoGuest 3 years ago

The locked bootloader is not Motorola’s choice, but Verizon’s demand.

2. My Mom will be able to text in style!

3. BigCiXGuest 3 years ago

Didn’t the Droid 3 come out this year?

• Yeah and I have it… and what the crap Verizon and Moto don’t even let 6 months go by before they release another? Well, less than 6 months if it comes out in December.

• Only thing I can think of is they regret not putting 4g in the Droid 3. Instead of doing a Droid 3 LTE they just went to Droid 4. If the Droid 3 would have been 4g I probably would have jumped on it.

• Since I don’t see LTE coming to my area any time soon, I’m not upset with the absence of LTE in the Droid 3, but it’s just kinda ridiculous for it to be released so quickly.

4. Motorola betrayalGuest 3 years ago

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

5. Ugh, I’m so sick of hearing about all these new phones and never thought I’d see the day I’d say that. Stop cranking out so many damn phones and just give us more actual killer devices like the Google Nexus! I hope that gets marketed the hell out of and gets a huge chunk of ICS out into the world so devs can make some sick apps for it

• ramGuest 3 years ago

6. DougGuest 3 years ago

I am very excited to see such an offering as the D4

7. Chris HGuest 3 years ago

8. TC InfantinoGuest 3 years ago

9. JONATHANGuest 3 years ago

THANK GOD ITS HERE. THE 3 SUX

10. androidfamilyGuest 3 years ago

11. I have had the original droid since release and I am soo anxiously awaiting an upgrade. IDK what to do, galaxy nexus or droid 4? even tho im dead sick of my droid 1 cuz its slow as hell, it served me well and im a big fan of the physical keyboard for playing GBA emulation games on my phone. Playing games with the keyboard is my favorite, but i think the galaxy nexus will just be way better than droid 4 in terms of software and hardware. What do you guys think i should get?