Samsung Mobile has announced the Samsung Illusion, an entry-level smartphone for Verizon Wireless. Though the spec sheet on the Illusion is not up to par with the high-end Android smartphones Verizon seems to be releasing in droves, the $79.99 Illusion will cater to the budget-conscious Verizon customer.
The Samsung Illusion features:
- 3.5″ TFT display
- 1GHz Samsung Hummingbird processor
- Android 2.3 Gingerbread with Touchwhiz UI overlay
- 3 megapixel rear camera
- 3G connectivity (no LTE on this device)
- 512 MB RAM
- 2 GB ROM (expandable to 34 GB with a 32GB MicroSD card)
- Mobile Hotspot
If you’re interested in the Samsung Illusion, the device will be available online-only starting tomorrow, November 23rd. If you absolutely have to test out a device in-store before you decide to throw down a 2 year commitment (and who could blame you?), the Illusion will be available in stores in January 2012.
Without LTE connectivity, the Samsung Illusion is certainly a tough sell, especially when the entry-level LTE-capable Pantech Breakout can be had for a mere $20 more. We’ll be putting the Illusion to the test in our review sometime later this year, so stay tuned to see how this phone fares.
Anyone out there interested in the Illusion, or do you have your sights set on the more high-end devices?Show Press Release
BASKING RIDGE, N.J. — Verizon Wireless and Samsung Telecommunications America (Samsung Mobile) today announced the Samsung Illusionâ„¢ will be available online at www.verizonwireless.combeginning Nov. 23 for $79.99 with a new two-year customer agreement. The Illusion will be available for free with a new two-year customer agreement between Thursday, Nov. 24 and Monday, Nov. 28 as a online promotion.
The sophisticated Samsung Illusion smartphone features a sleek form factor and is powered by the nation’s most reliable 3G wireless network. The Illusion boasts a 1GHz Samsung Hummingbird Application Processor, 3.0-megapixel camera, HTML Web browser, music player and integrated contacts, calendar and social networking applications, as well as access to more than 300,000 apps available to download from Android Marketâ„¢.
- Android 2.3â„¢, Gingerbread— support for Google Mobileâ„¢ Services including Gmailâ„¢, YouTubeâ„¢, Google Talkâ„¢, Google Searchâ„¢ and Google Mapsâ„¢
- · SWYPEâ„¢ Technology — input text faster and in a more intuitive way with one continuous finger motion across the screen keyboard
- · Unique curved-glass display
- · Corporate email support for Microsoft Office Exchange® so customers can synchronize corporate email, contacts and calendars from their office email
- · Full suite of messaging options, including text, picture and video messaging
- · 6-axis accelerometer with compass
- · Bluetooth® 3.0 technology — support for headset, hands-free, stereo, phonebook access and object push for vCard and vCalendar
- · Wi-Fi Connectivity 802.11 a/b/g/n
- Mobile Hotspot capability — share 3G connection with up to five Wi-Fi-enabled devices
- microSDâ„¢ card slot with support for up to 32 GB (2 GB pre-installed)
Additional features – Designed with the environment in mind:
- · UL Platinum Rating (Underwriters Laboratories) – the Samsung Illusion scored 84 out of 119 points to receive the “Platinum” UL rating
- · Rear casing and battery cover are made from 70 percent post-consumer material and 35 percent of the front casing is post-consumer material
- · Packaging made from bleach-free paper (post-consumer waste) and printed with vegetable ink
- · Box material uses 60 percent recycled paper (post-consumer waste)
- · High-efficiency charger with full-charge alarm
- The Samsung Illusion will be available online at www.verizonwireless.com on Nov. 23, and will be available in Verizon Communications Stores in January 2012.
- Customers that purchase a Samsung Illusion smartphone will need to subscribe to a Verizon Wireless Nationwide Talk plan beginning at $39.99 for monthly access and a smartphone data package starting at $30 monthly access for 2 GB of data.
For more information on the Samsung Illusion or for other Verizon Wireless products and services, visit a Verizon Wireless Communications Store, call 1-800-2 JOIN IN or go to www.verizonwireless.com.