While Sharp has never had a strong foothold in Europe or the US, the Japanese manufacturer has been the leader in the mobile segment in its own country for many years. Sharp does have a few high-end Android phones like the AQUOS PHONE 102SH which features a 4.5-inch 720p display, 12 megapixel camera, a dual-core 1GHz TI OMAP4430 processor and a waterproof body, but the majority of their sales are comprised of clam-shell or slide-out feature phones.
In order to give the masses of Japan what they truly want, Sharp has just unveiled the AQUOS PHONE IS14SH, an Android 2.3 handset with a physical slide-out numeric keypad. The Sharp Aquos Phone IS14SH sports a 3.7-inch qHD LCD touchscreen, 8MP CMOS camera with HD video recording support (720p), Bluetooth 3.0, GPS, digital TV tuner and NFC. The specs on the IS14SH aren’t good enough to compete with the likes of the Galaxy Nexus or the various HTC Sensation iterations that have come out over the past few months, but we have a feeling that Sharp will be able sell the device by the truckloads if the price is right.
The Sharp AQUOS PHONE IS14SH will probably never make it to the US or European markets, but it’s nice to see that our friends over in Japan are getting a good selection of Android phones to choose from. If Sharp did away with its feature phone styling, they could be a good international competitor for Huawei and LG. We’ll be sure to stop by the Sharp booth at CES next month to give you guys a closer look at their Android lineup.
Sharp AQUOS PHONE IS14SH Highlights
- Size (W Ã— H Ã— D): About 56 Ã— 117 Ã— 14.7 (thickest part: 15.4) mm
- Weight: About 136g
- Charging time: 150 min AC adapter, DC adapter about 210 minutes
- Platform: Android â„¢ 2.3
- Battery capacity: 1030mAh
- Talk time: Up to about 400 minutes
- Continuous standby time: Up to approximately 310 hours
- Memory: (RAM / ROM) 512MB/4GB
- Display: Approximately 3.7 inches, QHD (960 Ã— 540), 260,000 colors
- Camera: 804 million pixel CMOS
- Wireless LAN: IEEE 802.11b/g/n
- Bluetooth: Bluetooth 3.0
- External connection: microUSB