Jan 31 AT 12:35 PM Taylor Wimberly 30 Comments

Nexus S 4G one step closer to official Android 4.0.4 update

nexus-s-ice-cream-sandwich-tilt

If you own the Sprint Nexus S 4G and are waiting on the official update to Android 4.0, then we have some good news for you. A new internal testing ROM was just spotted on Google’s servers that updates the Nexus S 4G to Android version 4.0.4, build number IMM26.

The file was quickly pulled after it was spotted, but if you are adventurous you can head over to xda-developers and grab a mirrored copy. I’d normally post a guide with instructions for the manual update, but since the official file has been removed from Google’s servers we just suggest the average user wait it out.

Reports suggest that this version was signed with release keys, which likely means it’s we will see the official update in the coming weeks. I’ve been using Android 4.0 on my T-Mobile Nexus S that I gave to a family member and its been running great so far. If you try out this leaked software on your Sprint Nexus S 4G, let us know how it performed in the comments below.

Via: xda-developers

• josegb2011

• http://www.jaxidian.org/update/ jaxidian

• spazby

congrats to the owners

• frankwhite44

It’s about time! !

• Paul Jamieson

How about Nexus S on Telus ?
    Oh the pain of waiting … lol

• http://pixelswim.com Steve Heinrich

“The suspense is terrible… I hope it’ll last.” – my man Willy Wonka

• Matt

Maybe I don’t understand something but why is this one getting newer updates then the Galaxy Nexus?

• nick

the galaxy nexus already has the 4.0 update i believe, the nexus s is the baby brother of the galaxy nexus

• Andrew

The Galaxy Nexus has yet to receive the 4.0.3 or 4.0.4 updates that the Nexus S and NS4G are receiving.

We’re still on 4.0.2, with hacked ROMs of the 4.0.3 system image that is on the NS. And now, 4.0.4

• thel0nerang3r

• 00quantameister

I’ve observed with the original Nexus One owners had quite a lengthy wait for FroYo & Gingerbread. We’re seeing it again with the transition from Gingerbread operating system to Ice Cream Sandwich. We aren’t seeing major delays from Apple with iOS. The last version of Windows Phone seems to have sailed out pretty quickly to their device owners. The only hiccups in the 7.5 update was to firmware changes that Microsoft wasn’t told about.

I hope this is true & that final update is on the way? It raises more questions than answers.

This is not to bash Android or Google. I’m raising concerns as a customer, as a technology enthusiast, & behalf of customers who aren’t as aware of the issues. Timely delivery of update & seamless updates has to become a major issue for Google & ultimately the Android team to resolve. 46 days & counting, ladies & gentlemen. Hackers, virus, & malware writers won’t be so kind if they get an exploitable opportunity.

• http://droidsamurai.blogspot.com DroidSamurai

• LukeT32

• Ari32

• OnIn2

Your comment reminds me of when my wife says “I hope we don’t get a flat tire”

Not sure how to respond to it.

• yankeesusa

• txbluesman

• http://ztransit.org pghahaha

• levigarret

• jaime

Been on this leaked ROM all day and it’s very stable and battery life is much better than the 4.0.3 roms they have over at xda. phone does not get warm on long use at all like the other roms I hope this is the final build because I’m tired of flashing ROM after ROM get stability and good battery life.

• kankan3

I have the leaked version and i feel that the battery life is not so good. I installed it about 3 days ago

• brian so cal

well must be nice im still on 2.3.7…

• Richard Yarrell

• cabrone

• Stephan

@author: FYI: At request by Google, i had to delete the file mirror, too. So the files are no longer available from that source. You may want to update the article.

• Nexus S DK

If applying this update, will the official then be updated automatically, OTA ?

• notdavidboreanaz

I’ve been running the leaked 4.0.4 on my Sprint NS4G for a couple days now. Absolutely seamless. Improvements in performance, speed, battery life and general UI. LOVE…..

• http://www.raymatthew.tumblr.com RayMatthew

Lucky!

• pnutt916

I can’t wait!! I love this phone and will be happy to know that I’m up to date for the rest of the year. By the time Jelly Bean is released I’ll be eligible for my upgrade!!!

1. hmm..i wonder when the gnex will get this update as well because we need our bug fixes ics 4.0.2 – 4.0.4

2. Great news for those of you with one of these phones! I always wished that phone was released on VZW so I could get it – it’s a nice phone!

3. congrats to the owners

4. It’s about time! !

5. Paul JamiesonGuest 3 years ago

How about Nexus S on Telus ?
    Oh the pain of waiting … lol

6. “The suspense is terrible… I hope it’ll last.” – my man Willy Wonka

7. MattGuest 3 years ago

• nickGuest 3 years ago

• AndrewGuest 3 years ago

• GNex was released with 4.0, the got updated to 4.02, I believe. The Google stated that everyone will be targeting 4.0.4 or something to that effect. It’s a complicated process. However, GNex should be getting this version as well.

8. Wow. While its partially reassuring? 46 days & counting still has to be a big concern of security conscious Nexus S 4G owners. If by chance a security vulnerability had or does spring up on either the Android 2.3.7 build or the Android 4.x builds? Google’s & Sprint’s response to would have been painfully slow. Hackers could have run wild exploiting devices while we waited.

• It’s disappointed to witness how bad Google manages its own Nexus — How many phones they need to update for ICS? Two – the Nexus S and Galaxy Nexus (Nexus One will not see the day of ICS.) Let’s include the carrier specific variants. There’re the Nexus S 4G and the Galaxy Nexus LTE. That makes 4. Google couldn’t even manage to update FOUR phones simultaneously to the same version of the OS. The AOSP is currently at 4.0.3, but my Galaxy Nexus is still running 4.0.2.

• Plus the issues my gnex has that havent been fixed. Landscape keyboard lag and samsungs wonderful gps not locking on in a reasonable time. Just to name a few.

• I still don’t get this about the GPS. Mine locks on fine. It must be select phones with this issue. Anyway, the GNex really needs to get this update soon.

• Your comment reminds me of when my wife says “I hope we don’t get a flat tire”

Not sure how to respond to it.

9. I wonder if the price is gonna go up on this phone on ebay again? For a phone this old this phone has a decent resale value.

10. Sweet, I am stoked!!! I have waited this long, so I guess a little while longer ain’t gonna hurt me. Since I don’t have a choice anyway…LOL! Thanks for the good news Taylor.

11. Great: I’ve been waiting. I suppose I can assume that it’ll be out by the end of February? If not, it will be a very, very sad March 1st.

12. wow! Been waiting on this for a while…can’t wait for the day everyone is lte only and there is no need for variations of the nexus…maybe at that point, Google can keep up

13. jaimeGuest 3 years ago

• kankan3Guest 3 years ago

14. brian so calGuest 3 years ago

well must be nice im still on 2.3.7…

15. I am happy for all my friends walking around with the sprint Nexus S4g they deserve this update….

16. I’m patiently waiting for the official update… although, I do want to root anyway…

17. StephanGuest 3 years ago

18. Nexus S DKGuest 3 years ago

If applying this update, will the official then be updated automatically, OTA ?

19. notdavidboreanazGuest 3 years ago