Feb 03 AT 10:42 AM Anthony Domanico 26 Comments

Samsung and Corning announce joint venture, Lotus Glass coming to future Galaxy devices

lotus Image via: George Lu with Creative Commons

The super scratch resistant Corning Gorilla Glass quickly became the gold standard for Android smartphones when it debuted over a year ago. Gorilla Glass made it so that it was okay if you happened to throw your phone in the same pocket as your keys, pens, or a tomahawk.

Samsung and Corning have announced a new joint venture between the two companies, which will bring Corning’s Lotus Glass technology to future Galaxy smartphones. Lotus Glass promises to bring enhanced picture quality, better response times, and higher resolutions, all while conserving power to keep your phone running longer.

Samsung has made a killing on selling Android devices with some of the most brilliant displays seen in a smartphone, and the combination of AMOLED and Lotus Glass will help Samsung maintain their dominance. We could see Lotus Glass come to Galaxy smartphones as early as this summer, when Samsung is expected to launch the Galaxy S III.

To learn more about Lotus Glass, we suggest you hit up Corning’s site. For more on the joint venture between Samsung and Corning, check out the press release below. Are you excited for Lotus Glass on Samsung super-phones? Sound off in the comments.

Show Press Release

February 02, 2012 08:00 AM Eastern Time
Corning and Samsung Mobile Display Form New OLED Glass Venture

New business expands Corning’s long-standing collaboration with Samsung

CORNING, N.Y.–(BUSINESS WIRE)–Corning Incorporated (NYSE: GLW) and Samsung Mobile Display Co., Ltd. have signed an agreement to establish a new equity venture for the manufacture of specialty glass substrates for the rapidly expanding organic light emitting diode (OLED) device market. The new business will be located in Korea.

“Samsung Mobile Display has led the global display industry by constantly seeking innovations and challenging current technologies’ limits. We are confident that combining our business powers with Corning’s technology leadership will deliver greater value to our clients”

Combining Corning’s Lotusâ„¢ Glass substrate technology and Samsung Mobile Display’s OLED display expertise, this new entity will be well-positioned to provide outstanding product solutions for current and future OLED technologies, from handheld and IT devices to large TVs and beyond.

The newly formed entity will supply OLED backplane glass substrates for Samsung Mobile Display, as well as for the broader Korean market.

According to a recent NPD DisplaySearch report, OLED technology advanced rapidly in 2011, setting a trend that is forecasted to continue through this decade. They estimate that OLED display revenues will exceed $4 billion in 2011 (approximately 4% of flat panel display revenues), and will reach more than $20 billion (approximately 16% of the total display industry) by 2018.

Samsung is playing a leading role in this emerging market through its Galaxy mobile device products and Super OLED TV technology introduced in January at the International Consumer Electronics Show. Corning’s ongoing advanced glass technology development includes a strong focus on high-performance displays. Most recently, this focus has been demonstrated through Corning’s new Lotusâ„¢ Glass substrates, which deliver the higher processing temperatures and improved dimensional stability needed to produce the new high performance displays.

“Samsung Mobile Display has led the global display industry by constantly seeking innovations and challenging current technologies’ limits. We are confident that combining our business powers with Corning’s technology leadership will deliver greater value to our clients,” said Soo In Cho, Samsung Mobile Display’s president and chief executive officer.

“Corning and Samsung have a long and successful partnership in the display industry, dating back nearly 40 years to the early days of television,” said Wendell P. Weeks, Corning’s chairman, chief executive officer, and president. “The strength of our business relationship is built on Corning’s ability to develop and make high-technology glass with the key attributes that enable Samsung’s next-generation displays. Together, we have led the evolution of displays — from the high-growth years of CRT, to our current successful business supplying world-leading substrates for today’s high-definition LCD TVs, and now to the launch of this important new venture to advance OLED technology,” Weeks stated.

Via: Engadget

Anthony loves all things technology, from hardware to apps and games. You can connect with him via Google+ or Twitter by clicking one of the fancy doo-dads above.

• spazby

• Jeff Pan

Good to see Samsung taking the initiative to get the best of each component.

• CTown

• Zak Lambert

• Thomas Biard

Faster response time will be nice as handheld computing progresses thought. I think I’m mainly interested in its clarity and its strength. The rest seems harder to measure to me.

• http://www.anthonydomanico.com Anthony Domanico

• YMS123

• delinear

• AsakuraZero

• Paul

On my SGS2 I managed to crack the OLED display without touching/damaging the Gorilla glass in the front. It fell on a rock which nailed it from behind (the battery door). It somehow caused the circuit board and such to flex just enough to crack the OLED display but not touch/scratch the nice Gorilla Glass front.

• amgala

• http://www.anthonydomanico.com Anthony Domanico

• delinear

• thaghost
    • http://ArtisticAbode.com BetterWithRoot

Nice read, thank you for the link. Thank you for not using a link shortener as well.

• greeny42

Georgia O’Keeffe would be proud.

• Richard Yarrell

• Skis03

• Paul

How does Lotus Glass compare against Gorilla Glass 2? My understanding is it’s about the same strength as the original Gorilla Glass but it has some manufacturing benefits like being able to withstand better temperatures during manufacturing. Also, how does “Glass” affect resolution and power usage? It’s just a glass panel that sits on top of the LCD/OLED display. It should have no affect on resolution or power usage and should have little, if any, affect on how things look on the screen. If it’s perfectly clear, like it should be, then it’s entirely up to the OLED/LCD screen behind it to handle brightness, resolution, power usage, etc.

• ElvisonD

• romy134

How will HTC respond???

• http://keridel.blogspot.com keridel

it’s a shame that they couldnt have done this with the nexus.

i managed to scratch mine already :(

• keith

because of clarity, the glass is able to show same brightness under lower light setting so therefore increases the battery life.

“allows for more light to pass through, ultimately meaning you don’t need to have the brightness set as high on the device to achieve the same level of brightness on a competing device. Less power of course means longer battery life.”

• aranea

• Eric R.

Being that the actual lotus flower retains it’s untarnished beauty by a natural skin formed of very tightly arranged cells. The lotus flower will resist water, dirt, and oils.
    Lets hope that this project’s new glass also brings an engineered touch surface that resists oily finger prints.

• sammy

Maybe Samsung can foucs on having less banding and oversaturated colors on their AMOLED now.

1. Waiting for galaxy s3 on sprint. Take your time sammy, make a great phone.lotus on this puppy would be icing on the cake.

• Good to see Samsung taking the initiative to get the best of each component.

• In the mean time you can try one of their many (and I really mean “many”) other products!

2. If the SGS III comes with this glass the A15 I don’t see anything being able to compete with it. I can’t wait to jump to that from my Vibrant.

3. I can understand how it helps the LED screens look nicer, but how does it save power? Is it because it has better clarity so the brightness doesn’t have to be up as high?

• I’m not going to lie and say I know how it works. I’m interested to know how it helps reduce power, and am waiting on an email from Corning explaining it to me.

• Perhaps the device needs less power to respond to your touch, and maybe improved clarity, you can keep the brightness down? Just speculating….

• Most likely – I did read that standard screens have something like 15-20% opacity. That smart window that Samsung was showing off a few weeks back has 5% opacity, I wouldn’t be surprised at all if that was using some of this tech.

4. it will scratch hope not, because the gorilla glass on my gs2 found a way to get scratched oh well lets wait and see

• PaulGuest 3 years ago

5. Reading the information on Corning’s site, they didn’t really highlight Lotus glass as a strong, scratch resistant glass like their Gorilla glass. I personally would rank durability over slightly improved clarity and response.

• I asked them about that as well. Will update when they respond (if they respond)

• Maybe, but if clarity brings much better battery life it might still be worth it (it’s easier to stick a screen protector on my phone than it is to improve the battery, after all). If it’s marginal then yes, I’d go with durability.

6. Georgia O’Keeffe would be proud.

7. It’s hard to say if the Galaxy S3 will appear on verizon. Least we know the Galaxy Journal will show it’s face later this summer. Standbye for December 2012 when the next Nexus shows up with this great glass…

8. I have had Gorilla Glass on my last two phones and I love it. I am looking to switch to Samsung from Moto so this is a plus!

9. PaulGuest 3 years ago

10. OMG!!! All Of These Amazing Things Lining Up On Point For The Galaxy S3…Hope They’re Patient With It(Not Galaxy Nexus Patient)…But As Things Are Lining Up, This Phone Has The Definite Potential Of Being That Phone That Is Ahead Of Its Time…That Same Feeling We All Got Back When The Nexus One Came Out…I Want That Awesome Feeling Again

11. How will HTC respond???

12. it’s a shame that they couldnt have done this with the nexus.

i managed to scratch mine already :(

13. keithGuest 3 years ago

14. I love the gorilla glass. I forgot the number of times I dropped my Atrix and still not even a single chip or scratch (knock on the wood). I’m excited about this improved version of durable glass.

15. Eric R.Guest 3 years ago