Mar 30 AT 2:20 PM Taylor Wimberly 42 Comments

Blind man drives to Taco Bell in Google’s self-driving car

self-driving-car-630

“Look, Ma, no hands,” said Steve Mahan, who is legally blind, as he rode around in one of Google’s self-driving vehicles. “No hands, no feet. This is some of the best driving I’ve ever done.”

Google announced their self-driving car project in 2010 to make driving safer, more enjoyable, and more efficient. They recently felt it was mature enough to show off, after several years of testing and completing over 200,000 miles of computer-led driving.

A three minute video which documents the technical experiment was placed on YouTube where it went viral and has already received over 500,000 views. It’s not every day you see a blind man in the driver’s seat of a moving car, so check out the clip below to preview Google’s technology that could change Steve’s life.

“Yes, this test was legal,” a Google representative told PCMag.com in a statement. “It was performed on a carefully designed course, and we filmed in partnership with the local police department. We also placed one of our project experts in the passenger seat who could stop the vehicle if it became necessary.”

Don’t be surprised if you start to see self-driving cars in the coming years. Nevada has already approved rules for self-driving cars and more states will follow.

Source: +Google

• Ben

This is awesome, touching, and inspiring..

• Trinhbo

This is awesome! Now get old people and teenagers into these ASAP!

• Awesome Man

And Asians . . . whoooooooooah!
      Not cool!

• Sangheon96

asians arent bad at driving. Racist

• General Tso

You must be Asian

• Dustin Earley

• http://www.technogasms.com Sean Riley

• Angel

So this is the real reason why google has no time to update nexus to 4.0?

• spazby

• revwillie

I swear to God I thought this link would take me to the onion.

• dhilby09

I want one, as long as they can be overclocked!

Just think this could take over all the shipping routes. We no longer need a driver in the car/truck and they could all be traveling during the night to help alleviate traffic. Just need people on location to load and unload. Now only if I had money to invest….

• PacoBell

“Just need people on location to load and unload.”

And maybe not even that! I mean, just look at Amazon’s automated warehousing system.

• Joel

We are so living in the future lol.

• squiddy20

But… but… but I thought we were living in the now…? o.O

• smeghead68

• Analystgirl

This is SO COOL! My son could stop relying on the bus system!

• IIDX

Inroducing: Google Taxi

• George

Very cool idea – curious how it’ll work during construction season though… don’t drive in a big hole now!

• http://ArtisticAbode.com BetterWithRoot

I watched a thing on Netflix last night from 2005/6 about self driving cars. I was wondering how it was coming along. This is great. I hope within the next 10 years we will have self driving electric cars making up a growing portion of the traffic on the road.

• honourbound68

Hopefully traffic would be cut in half and accidents would be drastically reduced

• Donnieace

Gotta love technology.

• Jeremiah Akin

I hope they give these out at I/O

• fletchtb

How could they not?

• Tony

He forgot his dry cleaning!

• TGeezy86

Unlike most super-rich corporations, Google actually spends considerable money on R&D for things that can surely benefit society as a whole and stir interest in things of the such. I’m not saying they don’t have business-focus side effects that benefit Google in the longterm but at least they’re willing to actually invest in these things…unlike a certain fruit company that would only invest in this if it could pad their bottom line and further cement their stranglehold.

• mike

how is the man driving when the car drives itself?

• PacoBell

Perhaps this redefines the concept of “driving” itself. Maybe now we’ll think of “driving” as commanding the vehicle where to go instead of manually controlling it.

• Nathan D.

This is so cool, now if only the price was right.

• Tariq

If I hadn’t seen it I would never have believed it. This is something I didn’t think was technologically possible. Just how they’ve managed to pull it off is just amazing. This team deserves at least 10 Nobel prizes and there status 100 ft high in the centre of every capital in the world. If this technology can be made cost effective it’s going to take of faster than anything we’ve seen before. It’s really a point in history that will differentiate before and after. Like the wright brothers with there first manned flight

• mike

And why is the blind dude wearing sunglasses anyway??? I smell BullShit!!!!

• aranea

• Shawn Clark

Another reason to love Google people.

• Max.Steel

Old video is old.

• n25philly

• Lai ho

I guess nobody remember is April fool soon…

• jenskristian

• bbc

An interesting blog for Android apps, hacks and tips worth visit:

• Paul Jamieson

So if 2 ‘self drive’ cars get into an accident, who sues who ?? lol
    Got’a love April Fools day !!

• rlocone

I’m legally blind myself. This would change my life dramatically!!! I just can’t wait to even test one of these myself.

• ss

what would be the world without google???

• Lemonz

Driving cars yourself better not become illegal…I’d be so mad. I love driving and don’t think it should become a thing of the past because your car “can” drive itself…

• klcow92

1. BenGuest 3 years ago

This is awesome, touching, and inspiring..

2. This is awesome! Now get old people and teenagers into these ASAP!

• Awesome ManGuest 3 years ago

And Asians . . . whoooooooooah!
      Not cool!

• Sangheon96Guest 3 years ago

asians arent bad at driving. Racist

3. The first place the Google self-driving car goes? To Taco Bell. To get a Doritos Tacos. Awesome.

• Haven’t you seen Demolition Man? Taco Bell is going to be the lone fast food joint of the future.

4. AngelGuest 3 years ago

So this is the real reason why google has no time to update nexus to 4.0?

5. How much did Taco Bell “donate” to Google? haha this is great though, I am all for this project, way tooooo many bad drivers out there.

6. I swear to God I thought this link would take me to the onion.

7. I want one, as long as they can be overclocked!

• PacoBellGuest 3 years ago

“Just need people on location to load and unload.”

8. Pencil thin mobile devices that enable us to store/access gigs upon gigs of media, tabs, 3D TVs, and now cars for blind people…Hearing something like this 10 years ago wouldve blown people’s brains off.
    We are so living in the future lol.

• squiddy20Guest 3 years ago

But… but… but I thought we were living in the now…? o.O

9. I would love one of these! When your in stop an go traffic set it to auto and You’re free to do other things.

10. AnalystgirlGuest 3 years ago

This is SO COOL! My son could stop relying on the bus system!

11. IIDXGuest 3 years ago

Inroducing: Google Taxi

12. GeorgeGuest 3 years ago

13. I can totally see why Google would be investing money in this. In 2009 the average commute time was 25.1 minutes. That’s time Google wants you to spend not driving, but searching the internet. More ad impressions = more money. It makes dollars, so it must make sense…Ad Sense.

14. Gotta love technology.

15. I hope they give these out at I/O

16. TonyGuest 3 years ago

He forgot his dry cleaning!

17. TGeezy86Guest 3 years ago

18. mikeGuest 3 years ago

how is the man driving when the car drives itself?

• PacoBellGuest 3 years ago

19. This is so cool, now if only the price was right.

20. TariqGuest 3 years ago

21. mikeGuest 3 years ago

And why is the blind dude wearing sunglasses anyway??? I smell BullShit!!!!

22. This is real science fiction. Our kids will probably be shocked to hear that we used to drive our cars ourselves all the time.

23. Another reason to love Google people.

24. Old video is old.

25. I don’t know what who wrote this article, but I see people on the road that drive like they are blind all of the time…

26. Lai hoGuest 3 years ago

I guess nobody remember is April fool soon…

27. So, he is blind, and this is probably the first time in forever he “drives” a car. And he chooses to go to Taco Bell? :-P

28. bbcGuest 3 years ago

An interesting blog for Android apps, hacks and tips worth visit:

29. Paul JamiesonGuest 3 years ago

So if 2 ‘self drive’ cars get into an accident, who sues who ?? lol
    Got’a love April Fools day !!

30. rloconeGuest 3 years ago

31. ssGuest 3 years ago

what would be the world without google???

32. LemonzGuest 3 years ago

33. woah, no more accidents in the future and even kids can drive themselves to school