Mar 13 AT 12:20 PM Nick Gray 22 Comments

Samsung Galaxy S II Android 4.0 update commences in Europe, Korea

Samsung-update-calendar-final

HTC was the first to update a phone to Android 4.0, but not by much. Samsung has started pushing out its Android 4.0 update for the Samsung Galaxy S II in Korea, Poland, Hungary and Sweden with a UK release scheduled for the week of March 19. Naturally, the Android 4.0 rollout “will be dependent upon each network’s own software approvals process.”

The upgrade will begin in European countries including Poland, Hungary, Sweden, as well as Korea today and gradually roll out to other markets,Samsung

Samsung notes that the Android 4.0 upgrade for the Galaxy Note, Galaxy S II LTE, Galaxy Tab 8.9 and 10.1 will be available soon, along with a new Android 2.3 update for the Galaxy S, Galaxy Tab 7”, Galaxy S Plus, Galaxy S SCL and Galaxy W. This update will start hitting devices by the end of March and includes features like Face Unlock, Photo Editor and Snapshot.

Samsung made no mention as to when the Android 4.0 or Android 2.3 update will be available for the Galaxy S and S II variants in the US market. For now, all we can do is wait.

How long do you think it will be before we see Samsung’s Android 4.0 update for the Galaxy S II hit our shores?

Source: Pocket-lint

• Km

wow that means there is a hope for ics for S Plus

• thaghost

• aranea

• thaghost

Really? They have to pay to send an update? That doesnt sound right.

• aranea

• DROID Sam

Highly doubtful that OEMs pay carriers. It’s most likely the other way around since its the carriers who order the updates from the OEMs. Both the carriers and the OEMs have a vested interest in keeping their customers satisfied so that they choose a phone from the same OEM next time and opt to sign their life away for another 2 years.

• spintrex

Early to mid May? Didn’t Samsung aim at 2012 Q2?

• kwills88

• Ray

Damn you Samsung!!!! DAMN YOU!!!! :)

• Eric Rossman

-good times :)

• Nathan D.

Hopefully by the end of next month this will role out to the USA devices

• R.S

• http://genesischess.com/ MJM128

Here’s hoping for the T-Mobile version in a timely manner!

• aranea

I hope motorola takes notice of this and brings ICS to Atrix and other phones.

• spazby

it will be enough time so that i will be eligible for a new device

• Omar P

Just a heads up … I’ve just downloaded the update using KIES. For reference my phone is GT-I9100 … my phone is factory unlocked.

Cheers.

P. S.

The update it’s pretty cool.

• Toha

I confirm the news as I am in Sweden and now enoying ICS with TouchWiz. Upgrade was smoth and only took 15min once data (216Mb) was downloaded. ICS as engine is nice but TouchWiz is the one you notice with big changes and lot of options you didnt have before. Phones was greate before but know it even better if it can be more better :-)

• Toha

Quadrant 3855.
      I know its not saying the whole story and so on….but nice to see hehehe

• Omar P

Oh yeah, forgot to mention … I’m in San Diego, CA.

• thecityboy781

i coudn’t wait so i have a ICS ROM on my SII and its awesome

• jenskristian

Currently running ICS on my Galaxy S II. Very good so far.
    I live in Norway bye the way. The rollout reached us the same time as Sweden.

• lrq

i root my galaxy SII for ICS,and it’s pretty cool~~~

1. KmGuest 3 years ago

wow that means there is a hope for ics for S Plus

2. How long do i think?? too long. this is ridiculous. Most if not all of these update announcements exclude us devices. It seems to me that this is the fault of the carriers. This sucks. This is the price we have to pay for not having a nexus i guess.

• Yes the carriers have to approve everything, add their own bloatware and more over every time a manufacturer sends an update they have to pay to the carriers. My guess is that they release them outside US, find out the bugs and then release in US after fixing the bugs because they don’t want to pay twice.

• Really? They have to pay to send an update? That doesnt sound right.

• That’s what I learnt from motorola representatives at the official motorola forums.

• DROID SamGuest 3 years ago

3. Early to mid May? Didn’t Samsung aim at 2012 Q2?

4. Hopefully this will mean more roms will get made and help the process a bit more.

5. RayGuest 3 years ago

Damn you Samsung!!!! DAMN YOU!!!! :)

6. I predict my AT&T SGS2 (i777) will get a OS refresh in Q2. I still do not care as every game and killer app runs smooth as silk on my device (2.3.6). I will not have OS anxiety until the full release of chrome is out.

-good times :)

7. Hopefully by the end of next month this will role out to the USA devices

8. I don’t expect to see ICS for my Galaxy S II (T989) until the end of summer, beginning of fall. Obviously I’d like it sooner but I’m not going to fret.

9. Here’s hoping for the T-Mobile version in a timely manner!

10. I hope motorola takes notice of this and brings ICS to Atrix and other phones.

11. it will be enough time so that i will be eligible for a new device

12. Omar PGuest 3 years ago

Cheers.

P. S.

The update it’s pretty cool.

13. TohaGuest 3 years ago

• TohaGuest 3 years ago

Quadrant 3855.
      I know its not saying the whole story and so on….but nice to see hehehe

14. Omar PGuest 3 years ago

Oh yeah, forgot to mention … I’m in San Diego, CA.

15. i coudn’t wait so i have a ICS ROM on my SII and its awesome

16. Currently running ICS on my Galaxy S II. Very good so far.
    I live in Norway bye the way. The rollout reached us the same time as Sweden.

17. lrqGuest 3 years ago