Read It Later for Android was not enjoying the same success as the iOS version, but things might change after the service decided to rebrand their app as Pocket, redesign the user experience, and make the app free.
Pocket is one of a growing number of apps that allows users to save web pages and other content for reading later. Videos quickly became one of the most popular items that users were viewing later and the Pocket team wrote, “We soon realized that Read It Later was outgrowing its own name.”
I never used Read It Later, but I constantly save URLs to view later in Google Docs, so maybe I need to check it out. The new Pocket app is one of the best designed I have seen and it integrates with 300+ apps.
For original users of Read It Later, here is what’s new in this version:
- New name: Read It Later is now Pocket! Use your existing RIL username
- New Content Filter: Automatically filters content so that you can quickly switch between articles, videos and images.
- Clean and simplified viewing experience with fewer toolbars and a redesigned full-screen mode.
- Easier to Organize: Favorite, Tag, Archive, Delete and Bulk Edit
- Available on all major platforms, including Android, Kindle Fire, iOS and a powerful web app.
- Improved syncing, faster downloading, and more