Sony has announced today the immediate availability of the Sony SmartWatch, which will go on sale for $149.99 at Sony’s brick-and-mortar and online stores starting today. The SmartWatch features a 1.3″ OLED display that allows you to check your text messages, emails, Facebook, and Twitter updates, as well as control your music playback, manage calls, and even control your smartphone’s camera directly from your wrist.
The SmartWatch has access to the Google Play Store from the watch itself, quickly letting users pick out applications specifically built for the SmartWatch. Sony will likely help developers develop applications for the SmartWatch, so we expect to see several new applications make their way to the SmartWatch sometime after launch.
Aesthetically, the SmartWatch is dust/scratch proof and water resistant, and fits most standard wristbands. Sony will provide a standard black wristband, though you can purchase wristbands in 5 additional colors for an extra $20. The SmartWatch is a cool-looking watch and is a good option for those of you who love to wear watches and want your watch to be able to control your smartphone.
If you’re interested in the Sony SmartWatch, you’ll be able to pick one up at Sony Online or Sony’s retail stores starting today for $149.99. We’ve reached out to Sony for a review unit, so look for our full review to come later this quarter. In the mean time, you can view our initial hands-on from CES here.
Anyone planning on picking up a Sony SmartWatch? Sound off below.Show Press Release
Store your Smartphone: SmartWatch
from Sony Brings Android Power
Straight to Wrist
Innovative Androidâ„¢ accessory from Sony allows you to stay connected when your phone is stowed in your pocket or bag
- Read social updates, text messages and email
- Manage calls with a simple touch and swipe
- Personalize with apps downloaded from Google Play
- Control music on your smartphone
- Snap pictures with your Android phone from a distance
April 12, 2012, Atlanta, GA —Sony Mobile Communications announces the availability of its new SmartWatch, a wearable device that extends the power of Android smartphones by sending timely and personal information from your smartphone straight to your wrist. A vibration and screen alert notifies you of key events, like an incoming call. It also allows you to read texts and emails as well as receive Facebookâ„¢ and Twitterâ„¢ updates — all from your wrist.
SmartWatch from Sony connects to Android smartphones via Bluetoothâ„¢ giving you the ability to control key functions without removing your smartphone from your pocket or bag. With just a tap, touch, and swipe, SmartWatch turns from a watch displaying the time to a remote information center for your Android smartphone.
A growing number of apps are available for download through Google Play — including those for social updates, workouts and music — all customized for the 1.3-inch OLED SmartWatch touch screen. While SmartWatch works with these existing apps, Android developers can create apps specifically for the device. SmartWatch works with most Android (2.1 and above) smartphones.
“SmartWatch is the first of many Smart Extras that seamlessly connect and expand the smartphone’s reach and user experience,” said Paul Hamnett, President and Head of Customer Unit, North America, Sony Mobile Communications. “Designed to break free from the single screen experience, SmartWatch provides access to live content and entertainment on the go.”
The durable SmartWatch is dust proof and splash proof and comes with a black rubber wristband included in the box. Wristbands in five additional colors are available for purchase. SmartWatch’s design includes a rear mounted clip, so it can be removed from the wristband and attached to clothing or a belt.
At launch, SmartWatch has a suggested retail price of $149.99 and will be available athttp://www.sony.com/smartwatch
SmartWatch is part of Sony Mobile Communications’ strategy to create Smart Extras that make Android smartphones smarter.
Key Features of Sony Xperiaâ„¢ SmartWatch:
- · Dimensions: 1.42 X 1.42 X 0.3 in
- · Weight: 0.55 oz
- · Display: 1.3” OLED display, 128 x 128 pixels
- · Compatibility: Bluetoothâ„¢ 3.0 and Androidâ„¢ 2.1 or above
- · Connectivity: Standard USB charging
- · Battery life: Up to 4 days
- · Language support for: English, Spanish, French, Chinese (Traditional), Portuguese, Swedish, Russian, Danish, Polish, Japanese, Czech, German, Modern Greek, Dutch
- · Notifications: Display notification or vibration
- · Apps: All events (displays in chronological order), Messaging (SMS/MMS), corporate E-mail (for Sonyâ„¢ and Sony Ericsson Android phones), Gmail (for all other Android smartphones) Calendar Notifications, Facebookâ„¢, Twitterâ„¢, Music Player, Call handling (call, mute, reject, or answer and send pre-defined SMS),Pre-defined SMS, e.g. missed calls — I’m busy, messaging – call me, email — ok,Battery strength, Find phone, and Weather widget. Plus lots of apps on Androidâ„¢ market.
- · Additional SmartWatch bands available in pink, white, mint, grey and blue
For full details on all products news, please visit the press room and the product blog:http://blogs.sonymobile.com/