It’s a known fact that rooting Android handsets allows users to unlock a phone’s hidden potential, but now root access can also be used to SIM unlock the HTC One S without relying on your service provider or a third-party.
A while back, HTC Sensation owners realized that HTC included the SIM unlock code for their devices within the /dev/block/mmcblk0p6 block. Since then, HTC has changed a few things and “encrypted the actual SIM unlock code by adding a key generated from the phone’s IMEI number.” In order to generate the SIM unlock code for the HTC One S, users must use their phone’s IMEI number to calculate the encryption key, subtract that number from the UN_Lock_clode to generate the phone’s SIM unlock code.
If multiple sets of numbers get you all flustered, developers have come up with a Bash Script which fully automates the entire process without the need for any fancy calculations.
Obtain HTC One S SIM unlock code with Bash Script
- Root your HTC One S
- Download Bash Script zip file
- Extract unlock.sh file from zip to /system/ folder on HTC One S
- execute the .sh file directly from root explorer or open terminal emulator and run:
SIM unlock the HTC One S
- Once SIM unlock code displays on screen(also saved to /sdcard/sim_unlock_code.txt), write the number down and turn off your HTC One S
- Remove the microSIM card from phone
- Insert a microSIM card from another service provider and turn the HTC One S back on
- When prompted, enter the SIM unlock code
- Enjoy your HTC One S on any GSM service provider of your choice.
While this root exploit can be used to get a free SIM unlock code for those with a rooted HTC One S, there are a few other options for those who don’t want to root their device. T-Mobile and most other service providers will give customers an unlock after they have owned the phone for 90 days. If you’re not willing to wait that long, you can always buy a SIM unlock code for the HTC One S for only $12.95 from third-part sources like HTC SIM Unlock.
For a closer look at the HTC One S SIM unlock root exploit, check out the source link below. If you do you the Bash Script (or the manual process with all the fancy calculations) to SIM unlock your phone, leave us a comment below and let us know how the process goes.