Jun 01 AT 4:42 PM Nick Gray 49 Comments

T-Mobile schedules Samsung Galaxy S II Android 4.0 update for June 11th

t-mobile-samsung-galaxy-s-ii-android4-update

The wait is over! The long-overdue Android 4.0 update for the T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S II will be available on June 11th. While HTC, Motorola and most other Android OEMs typically push out OTA (over the air) updates, Samsung’s Android 4.0 update for the Galaxy S II will be available for manual downloads through Samsung’s Kies.

Over the past few months, there have been multiple Android 4.0 leaks and previews for various Samsung phones, giving us a pretty good idea of what to expect. The Android 4.0 update should incorporate the majority of the new features Google introduced with Ice Cream Sandwich, but users will have to dig to find them since TouchWiz on it will not look much different than previous versions.

Now that we have a release date for T-Mobile’s Galaxy S II’s update, it’s only a matter of time before Sprint and AT&T announce their plans for rolling out Android 4.0 for their version of the handset. How long do you think it’ll be before Samsung is able to update all U.S. versions of the SGSII?

Source: Twitter

• Vitti

• lola

Now let the bitching begin about the update being available only through kies.

• rauelius

• BiGMERF

• clocinnorcal

On Tmobile? I doubt either of you guys would get ICS OTA as this is a Kies update.

• Lola

It’s going to look exactly like gingerbread, no different. The settings and menu will be different, that’s it though.

• dommafia

I just got an update for my gs2 from Tmobile. Anyone know what it was for?

• Lola

The update was just a maintance update. It changes the lock screen, the way we answer calls, they took away some live wallpapers, took away scrollable wallpapers, and I think that’s it. It was for bugs and security.

• dommafia

Everything looks the same…

• R.S

Looking forward to finally getting a taste of that yummy Ice Cream Sandwich!

• kwills88

• lola

I so wish these manufactuers used the ics blue color throughout….don’t understand why they didn’t change it, maybe it’s just a galaxy nexus thing?

• skugern

• Longhornfan

I think if everything goes as planned AT&T will have updated all devices by no later than March 2015 LOL.

• Longhornfan

That is if they allow it.

• Jennie

How do you do the whole Kies thing?

• JessSayin

You’ll get an update on your phone from Samsung with instruction on how to connect your phone to your PC, download the drivers, do the update itself etc.
      The important thing is to back up ALL your photo’s, music, etc to your PC in case of a problem AND don’t disconnect the phone while updating. Also, make sure the battery is fully charged.
      Total time for update about 20-30 minutes.
      Good luck!

• lola

Since when does Samsung send out messages to our phones with instructions on how to install updates???? They would need our phone numbers for that, no?

• JessSayin

Since a year and a half ago when they did it with the first Galaxy S, mine being the Vibrant. They don’t do OTA updates like HTC just did with mine last month.
          The updates have to come through your carrier for support reasons so yes, they have your number obviously.
          All OS updates are a joint manufacturer-carrier endeavor, (that’s why they take so long) even the Nexus phones like the Nexus S 4G I had with Sprint, that took 5 months longer than necessary.

• Lola

Go to Samsung.com and in the search bar type in kies, you want kies, not kies air….download and follow directions. Tmobile.com, the support forums will also face instructions….it’s easy, no worries :)

• PostalJim

How long has it been since the INFUSE was supposed to get GINGERBREAD? I’m not putting my eggs in THIS basket! Just waiting for S3 and I’ll be happy.

• Lola

I had the vibrant and I never got any such message from Samsung for any update….froyo was via kies but the vibrant did have some ota updates. I know how updates work. I’ve just never heard nor have I ever heard of any one I know receiving messages from Samsung/manufacturers about how to update.

• JessSayin

I had the Vibrant as well. There were system updates but that’s not the same as an OS update.
      That we got notified of through Samsung and had to do it manually with a 32bit PC.
      Btw, The ICS Nightly build (4.0.4.) runs fantastic on the Vibrant!

• JessSayin

A piece of advice from someone that has been an Android user since the G1. Don’t buy a phone with the promise of an update “soon” or “in the near future”. On average, those who have are waiting a year if they got it at all.
    Buy a phone with the latest software on it or a phone you KNOW you can flash the latest custom ROM to.

• Lola

And that’s why you never buy a nexus phone from a carrier….look at the GNex on Verizon is going through. I bought my GNex from the play store and it got updated to 4.0.4 within 5 minutes of popping in my sim. If you’re going to buy a nexus it would only make sense to buy unlocked, if timely updates is what you’re after, otherwise you are just buying a regular carrier branded phone.

• JessSayin

I won’t have a Nexus after owning one. The volume was almost non-existent and the radio was crap (no reception) as was the calendar app.
      My HSDPA+42 Amaze 4G has double the speeds of the Galaxy Nexus and the Sense UI is a heck of a lot better than Touch Wiz.
      ICS is nice but seems bare bones compared to Sense…for me anyway.

• Lola

I completely concur about the calendar! It’s junk. I bought volume+ from meltus in the play store last year for my HTC sensation and it works awesome on the GNex, it actually works better is your device is rooted. The sensation just got the ics update last week or so and I do not like sense 3.6 at all….all my paid skins are junk now. I also have the international GNote and that updated to ics a couple of weeks as well….after owning the GNex, these manufacturers botched ics, imo. Touchwiz ics is nothing like vanilla Android ics boys and girls…it’s a melted down version :)

• JessSayin

You can buy one NOW, but how long has Google been selling them on the Play Store? not long.
      Also, if you’re in a contract another $399 is a bit steep when you already have a phone you’ve already paid for.

• Lola

That’s where I bought my GNex, inthe play store….I believe the first day it launched was April 24th. With tax and shipping it came to $434. And you’ll get timely updates right from google, you want the yakju or takju version, anything else will get you updated from Samsung, you don’t want that.

• sylar

Ok AT&T don’t drop the ball on this some time this month would be nice.

• dilip kumar

How to upgrade my galaxy s2 to android 4.is thete any possibility to upgrade through phone.recently i got an update for software after downloading i saw the version 4.0.3 but there is no change except locking,few changes in settings style

• lola

Dilip……the update is available Monday, June 11th via Kies only, we won’t be getting a ota notification. The update you received was just a minor update, basically to get the phone prepped for June 11th…..I’m assuming you’re on Tmobile?

• dilip kumar

Can any body explain me about T mobile….

• dilip kumar

What is T mobile ?in what way it wil help in upgrade of my galaxy s2 to android4

• lola

Tmobile is a u.s carrier who is releasing ics via kies on June 11th for the sgs2. What carrier do you have then?

• Michael N

• dommafia

Hmm interesting! I hope so!

• lola

I don’t believe it will. I updated my Galaxy Note, HTC sensation and I flashed the skyrocket rom, all of which only had the touchwiz and sense as home launchers. I just downloaded nova launcher from the play store to get that little bit of ics…..but yeah, Ihonestly don’t think it’ll come with the option.

• David

That is one advantage of Android. You can choose your launcher. There are a bunch out there. On named Holo Launcher by Mobint Software is the stock ICS launcher.

• dilip kumar

sir i have been using htc wildfire.since morning my phone has locked ii have been tyring to unlock but i cannot can any one help me

• JessSayin

You can either:
      Take it in to the store or,
      call support and go through all the menu’s to tech support.

• johnnycsx

Check XDA forums

• Tammy
  • Erick

If you have not got the update yet, then its about the time to check you Samsung Kies. For step by step instruction check out: http://www.androidapps4u.com/news/tehnology/guides/upgrading-your-samsung-galaxy-s2-lte-to-ice-cream-sandwich/

Enjoy,
    Erick

1. About f-ing time! Now if only Sprint can hurry up and get with the program. Some much for Q1, huh?

2. lolaGuest 3 years ago

Now let the bitching begin about the update being available only through kies.

3. I saw the Sensified version of ICS running on a Sensation…WOW….they basically took ICS and then skinned it to look like Gingerbread…..Classy move fellas…..I hook my friend up with Nova Launcher, and it looks at least halfway decent now…I have a feeling ICS for GS2 is going to look like Gingerbread….

4. My lady got an update today, but it was not for 4.0.. touchwiz update? her notifications and a few other things changed

5. LolaGuest 3 years ago

6. dommafiaGuest 3 years ago

I just got an update for my gs2 from Tmobile. Anyone know what it was for?

7. dommafiaGuest 3 years ago

Everything looks the same…

8. Looking forward to finally getting a taste of that yummy Ice Cream Sandwich!

9. While touch wiz won’t change too much with this update, ics is a well needed updates, everything feels much better and smoother and you’ll get to use ics exclusive apps like apex launcher, the app integrating that comes with ics is really great, though it kinda sucks I gotta use Kies though.

• lolaGuest 3 years ago

10. I’m just happy that there’s something official. I know I’m going to be plugging my phone into my PC on the morning of the 11th :)

11. LonghornfanGuest 3 years ago

12. LonghornfanGuest 3 years ago

That is if they allow it.

13. JennieGuest 3 years ago

How do you do the whole Kies thing?

• JessSayinGuest 3 years ago

Total time for update about 20-30 minutes.
      Good luck!

• lolaGuest 3 years ago

• JessSayinGuest 3 years ago

14. LolaGuest 3 years ago

15. PostalJimGuest 3 years ago

16. LolaGuest 3 years ago

• JessSayinGuest 3 years ago

Btw, The ICS Nightly build (4.0.4.) runs fantastic on the Vibrant!

17. JessSayinGuest 3 years ago

18. LolaGuest 3 years ago

• JessSayinGuest 3 years ago

ICS is nice but seems bare bones compared to Sense…for me anyway.

• LolaGuest 3 years ago

• JessSayinGuest 3 years ago

• LolaGuest 3 years ago

19. Ok AT&T don’t drop the ball on this some time this month would be nice.

20. dilip kumarGuest 3 years ago

• lolaGuest 3 years ago

21. dilip kumarGuest 3 years ago

Can any body explain me about T mobile….

22. dilip kumarGuest 3 years ago

• lolaGuest 3 years ago

23. Does anyone know if this will have the built in option of reverting to the standard ICS theme/launcher/apps? I seem to remember that that was a requirement for ICS, that manufacturers can add their own crap overlays but they must leave in the option to revert to standard the “Holo” theme.

• dommafiaGuest 3 years ago

Hmm interesting! I hope so!

• lolaGuest 3 years ago