Are you tempted to buy a smartwatch yet? Various models have been available for the last couple of years, but there haven’t been any success stories yet. The Pebble was the first smartwatch to generate some real buzz when it raised over $10 million on Kickstarter, but the device has been delayed and we don’t know when it will ship.
Now Dallas based MetaWatch is attempting to cash in on the recent smartphone craze with their Strata watch on Kickstarter. You will need to pledge $159 or more to reserve your Strata smartwatch, which is more than the $115 Pebble was asking for, but it looks like MetaWatch will ship their device first.
MetaWatch has an advantage because they have been developing smartwatches for the past 8 years, building and enhancing the supply chain and production network behind MetaWatch for the past 6 years, and developing the MetaWatch platform for the past two years.
Features of the MetaWatch Strata are in line with the current crop of smartwatches. It connects to your Android phone via Bluetooth and then it relays notifications to your wrist. The embedded watch code is open source so developers will be able to create their own applications and native watch code for experiments.
Features available at launch include:
- Multiple Watch Faces
- Caller-ID Notifications
- SMS & Email Notifications
- Facebook & Twitter Notifications
- Weather / Stock/ Calendar Widgets
- Lost Phone Alarm
- Alarms & Timers
- Music Control
- Integrated Running and Cycling App
- Handset compatibility: iPhone 4s, iPad (3), Android (various)
- Sensor compatibility: Initially, Wahoo Fitness BLE sensors for iPhone 4s
- iOS compatibility: iOS 5 (basic functionality), iOS 6 (enhanced functionality)
- Double injection molded PU, co-molded with PC body
- Mineral hardened glass lens with anti-glare coating
- Titanium finished stainless steel top ring
- 5 ATM water resistant (you can swim with it, but no diving)
- 96×96 mirror polymer network display
- Vibrating alerts
- 6 buttons
- Rechargeable (5-7 day battery life)
- Bluetooth 4.0
- 3 Axis accelerometer / ambient light sensor
I have recently been wearing the Sony SmartWatch and I also backed the Pebble, so I went ahead and pledged towards the Strata to see how it compares. Only the Sony SmartWatchs is available right now (for as low as $114) and it already has a robust ecosystem with 100′s of apps, so I think it’s the best option at the moment.
Kicktraq shows that the Strata is trending towards reaching its funding goal, so pledge early if you want to reserve your unit before the limited supply is sold out.