Aug 16 AT 2:02 PM Taylor Wimberly 40 Comments

How to speed up your Android web browser by 5-10x

dolphin-browser-beta

Frustrated by the slow speeds of your Android web browser? Today the team behind Dolphin Browser released a new beta version and they claim it is 5-10x faster than the default browser at HTML5 rendering, and 100% faster than Chrome.

The Dolphin team was able to achieve the fastest scores on HTML5test.com thanks to their very own Dolphin Engine, which has baked in additional canvas enhancements and behind-the-scenes technology. In addition to that benchmark, they were also the first mobile browser to pass Ringmark’s Ring 1 series of 400+ tests.

How fast? Dolphin Browser Beta’s HTML-5 rendering is:

• 5 – 10X faster than the default Android browser
  • 100% faster than Chrome (at times)
  • Initially scored over 450 when tested on HTML5test.com. (HTML5test.com is an industry respected tool for testing a browser’s support of HTML5)

If you want to give the latest Dolphin Browser Beta a spin, then grab it from the Google Play link below. Try comparing the performance in HTML5test and Ringmark to see how it stacks up with your current browser and let us know what you think.

Via: Dolphin Blog

• oddball

I used to be a fan of Dolphin but far prefer Chrome and ICS browser+.

• jrichardsMav

I do think the competing browsers are necessary catalysts to keeping the Android team on point with developing chrome.

I would never use them, but they are key to keeping the browser I love in check, and moving forward.

• jswenson3

• shadhussain

does the beta run flash better too?

• http://androidandme.com Taylor Wimberly

Mobile Flash is dead and no longer supported.

• http://ArtisticAbode.com BetterWithRoot

= (

R.I.P to Flash.

• Frank Z.

I will forever hold on to my beloved AdobeFlash.apk

• Jake Thomas

thank God for Firefox and my flash.apk with Jelly Bean. Flash may be a dying technology but 95% of the web still uses flash! I felt like I finnaly could be online without tethering my phone just to get BASIC content again when I got flash back! And its nice to be able to watch all those YouTube videos that say “not available for mobile” on the YouTube app.. probably the REAL reason they got rid of flash.. they found out that people were getting around YouTube mobile restrictions.

• Yannick Agnel, fastest swimmer

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

• ddpacino

You mean The GREATEST Olympian of all time who won MORE Gold in London?

• Samuel Hurd, now in jail

The greatest olympian? wtf, this guy was lucky, because swimming is the only competition awarding so many medals, its completely bollocks and unfair to other competitions. Secondly, he won so many medals because he was part of the US relays who always win. Easy, every half-arsed swimmers from an other countries could win 10 medals just by being part of the US team.

• http://ArtisticAbode.com BetterWithRoot

So what you are saying is what everyone is saying…America kicks ass?

• United States of Mexico

Yes, in sports. But everything else is subpar, a bankcrupt country that put all of its resources and money into military and none into health insurance for its citizens. Families are now camping infront of their houses, because they cant pay their mortgages. Campden, NJ is an example for this. Kicks ass, right?

• http://www.focuszonedevelopment.com Homncruse

Someone’s butthurt over the Olympics.

• spazby

Will try it but have been very happy with Chrome…

• Adnan Ahmed

Chrome is extremely sluggish for me scrolling and zooming desktop pages, where as my S3 stock browser is butter smooth. Does anyone have that problem?

• http://androidandme.com Taylor Wimberly

• theviper21

• itrustme

Been having that problem since chrome for mobile debuted. I feel like chrome sucks ass for mobile. I use a gnex and n7. The stock browser on my gnex is a little better when scrolling n zooming in and overall fluidity.

• itrustme

Chrome on the s3 is way faster than the gnex. I hate when you try and pan around a webpage and the window does that tilt animation, it doesn’t do that on the s3 only when touch the edge of the window.

• lolwut

Downloaded for my Galaxy Note (ICS OS). Seems faster in some areas but slower in others.

• www.phonewbie.com

• Racketier

I haven’t tried the new Dolphin beta, but I’m interested to see how it stacks up against the latest Firefox.

If you haven’t tried Firefox lately, I recommend doing so. When clicking on a link from inside another app, Firefox boots up and loads the page much faster than Chrome.

Unfortunately, I still use Chrome as my day-to-day browser because of the awesome desktop syncing. Here’s hoping more competition from Dolphin and Firefox will encourage Google to update Chrome soon to improve it’s speed further.

• David knox

wow that’s freaky fast, bye bye chrome.

• NasLAU

Desktop sync has me locked to chrome. Sorry Dolphin.

• Nathan D.

I’m to happy with chrome that I don’t feel like getting it.

• cb2000a

Dolphin is the only browser I use on my tablet and phone.

• uknowme

• ROD

its still slower than boat browser on my evo 4g.

• ihatefanboys

• Honko

I just ran both test on my SGS2 ICS 4.0.4, latest Chrome vs Dolphin and Chrom has more points and is faster, from what I saw.
    What I like about the dolphin browser are those smooth animations… Other than than, chrome is still better…with device synch and al…

• AndroidTabs.info

It just feels like yesterday that we were talking about Android 5.0 Jelly Bean. Actually, wait, it was yesterday that we were talking about Jelly Bean. And now we are hearing that the version of Android to come after that will be named Key Lime Pie.

• Toha

I guess I am in minority and still likeing and satisfied with stock browser. Especially after my SGS2 got 4.0.4 its really good.

• vforvortex

• shadowxof

• Paul

Very fast, but beware installed this on my S3 massive battery drain in standby, from 79% to 13% in 3 hours with screen on standby, plus whole phone really hot. Un installed problem remained, tried cache cleaner, the same. Factory reset cured it, 2 hours getting phone back to how it was.

• Delicious

I’ll love to give it a try!

• stephen

Any one ever tried out MAXTHON, I think it’s pretty cool

• Jorge Offemaria

Have tested browsers on play store in search of what would really give me the desktop like experience. Tested dolphin, boat, firefox,chrome, opera… I always browse tech sites such as cnet, ign, gamespot etc. I would admit that these browsers are really fast. My purpose of browsing the web is mostly about product reviews and such which most of the time comes with a video review. I always end up frustrated because these flash videos would not play well or would not play at all with these browsers. And I ended up installing flash player v11 on my S3, set the default browser to full screen mode and browse desktop version of websites without any trouble. May take 2-3 seconds more to load compare to these browsers but experience wise, I would still go with the stock browser will flash functionality.

1. I used to be a fan of Dolphin but far prefer Chrome and ICS browser+.

• Chrome for the win, it is hands down the best android browser, and the integration with chrome for desktop is just amazing.

• I’d have to agree. I just can’t see myself leaving Chrome for anything else at this point.

2. does the beta run flash better too?

• Mobile Flash is dead and no longer supported.

• Frank Z.Guest 2 years ago

I will forever hold on to my beloved AdobeFlash.apk

• Jake ThomasGuest 2 years ago

3. Yannick Agnel, fastest swimmerGuest 3 years ago

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

• You mean The GREATEST Olympian of all time who won MORE Gold in London?

• Samuel Hurd, now in jailGuest 3 years ago

• So what you are saying is what everyone is saying…America kicks ass?

• United States of MexicoGuest 3 years ago

• Someone’s butthurt over the Olympics.

4. Will try it but have been very happy with Chrome…

5. Adnan AhmedGuest 3 years ago

• The default browsers on some newer phones like the Galaxy S III and HTC One X are sometimes faster than Chrome because they have specific optimizations for whatever chip is in the phone (Snapdragon, Tegra, etc.) Chrome seems to run the fastest on Nexus devices.

• That makes sense. I’ve tried some third party browsers for my DINC but I have not noticed any speed improvement, though some have had better UIs and features.

• itrustmeGuest 3 years ago

• itrustmeGuest 3 years ago

6. lolwutGuest 3 years ago

7. I used to love dolphin and I recommended it to everyone. Now i don’t like it. Not sure if i wanna try this beta.

8. RacketierGuest 3 years ago

9. David knoxGuest 3 years ago

wow that’s freaky fast, bye bye chrome.

10. Desktop sync has me locked to chrome. Sorry Dolphin.

11. I’m to happy with chrome that I don’t feel like getting it.

12. Dolphin is the only browser I use on my tablet and phone.

13. I have to say they really stepped up their game. I never really liked dolphin before this. I’ll give it a shot for few days.

14. RODGuest 3 years ago

its still slower than boat browser on my evo 4g.

15. Ive tried dolphin twice, never again. I was waiting for Chrome on my phone and with the ONE S I was finally able to download it. Its super fast, all the time, even faster than the default browser. I really think these tests are exaggerated to get people to download it so the company can count the downloads all the way to the bank. Chrome for life !

16. HonkoGuest 3 years ago

17. AndroidTabs.infoGuest 3 years ago

18. TohaGuest 3 years ago

• Have you given the chrome browser a try? It has unlimited tabs, incognito mode, and best of all the sync fuctionality with your laptop and other devices using chrome. also your book marks are available.

19. Was using chrome one the One S for as long as its been out and loved it until I tried this and so far I’m liking my results

20. PaulGuest 3 years ago

21. DeliciousGuest 2 years ago

I’ll love to give it a try!

22. stephenGuest 2 years ago