Aug 17 AT 8:59 AM Nick Gray 41 Comments

Sony Xperia P Android 4.0.4 update now available

sony-xperia-p

If you’re the proud owner of a Sony Xperia P, we’re happy to inform you that Sony has just released the Android 4.0 update for your device. In a perfect world, Sony would have launched the phone with Ice Cream Sandwich, but we’re not here to judge.

Most users will get an update notification on their device once the Android 4.0 update for their Sony Xperia P is available in their region, but in some cases users will need to use Sony’s PC Companion or Bridge for Mac to download and install the firmware update.

Check out the video below for a details Android 4.0 walk-through on the Sony Xperia P

Sony Xperis P Android 4.0 features

• New ways to experience your media with new media applications — “WALKMAN”, “Album” and “Movies”
  • Extended standby mode, increasing standby time by up to four times (depending on user-profile and data consumption)
  • Lock screen with improved functionality
  • Resizable widgets for improved personalization
  • Improved control of your mobile data consumption
  • Recent Apps button for a clear overview of your applications

According to Sony’s blog, the Xperia U, Xperia sola and Xperia go are next on the list to receive the Android 4.0 update. Most of you would rather skip Android 4.0 and jump to Android 4.1 to get a taste of Google Now, Project Butter and enhanced notifications, but you’ll just have to wait your turn just like everyone else.

Source: Sony Product Blog

• ┼∟²

oha lots of fragmentation lately….

• http://None Javier Bastardo

• William Lye

Own an Xperia P and upgraded to ICS 4.0.4 recently.
    Did an experiment on the Power Management.

a. Charged battery to 100% full at 11.30 pm. Activated Power Management (ticked Extended Stanby Mode) and only WIFI/Data/Sound turned on. By 7.00 am the next morning, battery level was 76% – battery consumption was 24% even without other activities thru the night.

b. Charged battery to 100% at 11.30 pm the following night. Deactivated Power Management (unticked Extended Standby Mode) and only WIFI/Data/Sound turned on. By 7.00 am the next morning, battery level was 96% – battery consumption was only 4% thru the night.

What improvement are we having with this new “Extended Standby Mode” ?

• marko

How did u upgrade it. I bought a phone 5 days aggo and nothing happend when i connect it on pc… Can u help me with it

• nietje

I have the same with mij phone only is it a Sony Xperia P version 4.0.4 and my battery lever is goning faster emty even if i dont user my fone. Android need a new update thats don’t eats my battery level

• Pallab

When we get update for Xperia Sola

• Darryl Taylor

Why do they make changes to the detrement…

1. Previous Screenshot was simple, now you have to hold down 2 buttons at once…

2. Sharing Pics straight from the screen shot of photo just taken no longer available.. have to exit out to the Album screen…

• rosamiaducos

How to make screenshots on 4.0 version of sony xperia p?????

• Amin Tharani

Which buttons should we press to take screen shot.. Plz tell me

• dip

how to take screenshot in xperia p ver 4.0.4.. i tried the power /lock + volume down key.. bt in vain !! any other way ?

• phanneth

I already install or up grade my phone to android 4.0.4 but it does not perform properly. So what should I do?

• jude jerad

i also having some problems…., msg alert tone working for some time & after that no sound, but msg are comming not ringing………

• phanneth

My phone is Sony Xperia P

• rosamiaducos

Please send me resolve if how i make screenshots on my 4.0 version of sony xperia p

• solarisator

I got the xperia sola, in android 4 you have to press the lock button and the button for turning down the volume at the same time.
      sorry for bad english :)

• Upset

I want the easy screenshot-taking ability of the previous software version :(

• Azfar Daud

Hey, I already updated to android 4.0 but the only problem is I can’t take a screenshot after the update. I’m the Xperia P user. Help needed!

• hcd

Hey guys! I am a sony ericsson xperia U user and I just recently got an update for android 4.0. I also found out how to take screenshots! It should work on any xperia phone. if you hold the power button and volume down button simultaneously for a couple of seconds it should work.

• phoneuser

This trick does NOT work on my Xperia P. There are apps to take screenshots but they do not all seem very safe. Anyone?

• shweta

It worked perfectly fine for me on my Xperia p.. Hold lock and volume down button and count to 3

• ayushi

need help im able to open picture in xperia p after updating android 4.0
    is der some other way of doing dat plz rply as soon as possible.

• johan

Xperia P: is there a real positive difference AFTER the update ice cream sandwich 4.0 on the battery consumption??

because THE problem with the Xperia is the battery..

Thanks for your answer !!

• Chris

How do I exit the recent apps on my Xperia Sola

• Chris

How do I exit the recent apps on my Xperia Sola or is just there and nothing can be done?

• kelsey

Since I have updated to the 4.0 my gallery has been replaced with album like stated above, but this album does not work and will not let me view any of my pictures as soon as I open it it goes black and closes down

• mir0

I have the same problem dude… If anyone can give us a solution please help us..! thank you

• Hilde

I have the same problem … can somebody let me know how to fix this?

• Mw. Jonker

In de apps vind je QuickPic. Toen ik die geïnstalleerd had, kon ik weer bij mijn foto’s. Succes.

• Jane

This is crazy…i had a perfectly good working fone (xperia P) and updated software and now nothing works….as per above cant access galley, fone freezes, battery life terrible…is thereany way to scrub it and revert back to original software……………..please

• thechad

sony sony sony

• kaye

I hate updates!
    In 2012, I updated my Sony tablet …. disaster!
    Had to do a hard reset etc.etc. to get it back to normal.
    Loved my Xperia P bought in Oct. 2012 …. updated it to latest version 4.0.4 in Dec 2012 … now I cannot access my photos … “Album” just turns the screen black!
    No point in a camera if you cannot access the photos!
    Help!

• phoneuser

I agree. Terrible update. Can’t take screenshots anymore, using stop button and volume down does not work.

Had the same photo problem. Good news: your photos are not lost.You will need a (free) app called Quickpic. Works fine on my Xperia P.

• kaye

“Phoneuser” … I want to give you a hug!!!
        I downloaded Quickpic, it works just really well ! I had thought I had lost my photos, but as you said, no I hadn’t. Quickpic works just fine on my Xperia P also.
        Thankyou so much, and thankyou for taking the time to reply.

• Penni

Thankyou!! I agree with everything everyone said-just updated my sony xperia p to 4.0.4 and lost my gallery and things seem ilogical now.
        Thankyou for mentioning quickpic downloaded it and can now view pics :-)

Bettery life dying fast though :-(

• Maggie

Thank you phoneuser. Now i can access my pics!!!!
        Is there any way to undo the update i have the 4.1.2

• Mw. J.

Na update van Sony Experience P naar 404 veel verbeteringen, maar ook een echte misser: volume van telefoonoproep en emailmelding is samengevoegd en niet meer afzonderlijk in te stellen. Dus ‘s nachts geluid uit en niet meer bereikbaar zijn of geluid aan en gewekt worden door elk emailbericht. Hoe krijgen we deze instellingen weer apart? Wie het weet mag het zeggen.

• Mw. Jonker

Na lang zoeken vond ik de oplossing zelf. Bij mijn Sony Experia P werkt het perfect, ik hoop bij jullie ook.

Klik de app Email aan, klik menutoets aan rechts onderaan het toestel.
      Selecteer Instellingen. Klik op je account/emailadres en kies in het menu Beltoon selecteren.
      Als je in het ringtone scherm komt, kies je Geen (bovenaan).
      Op deze wijze kun je ook instellen of en wanneer je de telefoon wilt laten trillen bij een inkomend bericht (of niet) en of je een meldingslampje wilt zien.
      Bij de app Gmail werkt het ongeveer hetzelfde, alleen staan daar Geluid en trillen samengevoegd in het menu. Als je dat aanklikt, kun je wederom kiezen wat je wilt.
      Bij WhatsApp kun je ook via Instellingen (menuknop rechtsonder) je beltoon etc. aanpassen.
      Succes.

• Ymk Sun

My phone is Sony arc S. I updated it with Android 4.0.4 ICS. Now screenshot is not available. What should I do to get screenshot feature… :)

• Ms. Hornstra

Installed 4.0.4 on my Xperia Arc. Haven’t noticed any improvement. Am very annoyed by bugs and new usage.
    Hate the fact not being able to adjust volume for ringtone and notifications seperatly. Hate the way my screen turns at desktop eventhough disabled. Very much dislike the new copy/paste method and picturesharing. Hate the way my Arc falls black or gets stuck. Even my touchscreen responds worse than before.
    Can I please get the old Androidversion back on my phone?
    Does anyone know how?

• Ms. Hornstra

Forgot to check the box below S)

• Mohammad Forkan

Good

1. ┼∟²Guest 3 years ago

oha lots of fragmentation lately….

2. Excellent, can’t wait for them to release the update for the Sola, here’s for hoping something at least before 2013

3. William LyeGuest 3 years ago

Own an Xperia P and upgraded to ICS 4.0.4 recently.
    Did an experiment on the Power Management.

What improvement are we having with this new “Extended Standby Mode” ?

• markoGuest 3 years ago

• nietjeGuest 2 years ago

4. PallabGuest 3 years ago

When we get update for Xperia Sola

5. Darryl TaylorGuest 3 years ago

Why do they make changes to the detrement…

1. Previous Screenshot was simple, now you have to hold down 2 buttons at once…

• rosamiaducosGuest 3 years ago

How to make screenshots on 4.0 version of sony xperia p?????

• Amin TharaniGuest 2 years ago

10. Azfar DaudGuest 3 years ago

11. hcdGuest 3 years ago

• phoneuserGuest 2 years ago

• shwetaGuest 2 years ago

12. ayushiGuest 2 years ago

need help im able to open picture in xperia p after updating android 4.0
    is der some other way of doing dat plz rply as soon as possible.

13. johanGuest 2 years ago

because THE problem with the Xperia is the battery..

Thanks for your answer !!

14. ChrisGuest 2 years ago

How do I exit the recent apps on my Xperia Sola

15. ChrisGuest 2 years ago

16. kelseyGuest 2 years ago

• mir0Guest 2 years ago

• HildeGuest 2 years ago

I have the same problem … can somebody let me know how to fix this?

• Mw. JonkerGuest 2 years ago

17. JaneGuest 2 years ago

18. sony sony sony

19. kayeGuest 2 years ago

I hate updates!
    In 2012, I updated my Sony tablet …. disaster!
    Had to do a hard reset etc.etc. to get it back to normal.
    No point in a camera if you cannot access the photos!
    Help!

• phoneuserGuest 2 years ago

• kayeGuest 2 years ago

“Phoneuser” … I want to give you a hug!!!
        Thankyou so much, and thankyou for taking the time to reply.

• PenniGuest 2 years ago

Thankyou for mentioning quickpic downloaded it and can now view pics :-)

Bettery life dying fast though :-(

• MaggieGuest 2 years ago

Thank you phoneuser. Now i can access my pics!!!!
        Is there any way to undo the update i have the 4.1.2

20. Mw. J.Guest 2 years ago

• Mw. JonkerGuest 2 years ago

Klik de app Email aan, klik menutoets aan rechts onderaan het toestel.
      Als je in het ringtone scherm komt, kies je Geen (bovenaan).
      Succes.

21. Ymk SunGuest 2 years ago

22. Ms. HornstraGuest 2 years ago

Can I please get the old Androidversion back on my phone?
    Does anyone know how?

• Ms. HornstraGuest 2 years ago

Forgot to check the box below S)

23. Mohammad ForkanGuest 1 year ago