Google’s big Android event is only a week away, and rumors are swirling that we will see multiple Nexus devices running the new Android 4.2. Matt Brian of The Next Web and Ryan Socio of The Verge Forums are both reporting that Google has been sharing a video recorded at one of its weekly all-hands “TGIF” meetings on its internal network, which details the devices that will be unveiled at its October 29 event.
The information being distributed to Google employees matches up with previous rumors from the last month. Google is said to introduce a Nexus 4 smartphone by LG, a Nexus 10 tablet by Samsung, and a Nexus 7 tablet with 3G modem by ASUS. There is no mention of any other devices, like the rumored Nexus 5 by HTC, but it’s always possible that Google has some surprises in store.
Rumored devices said to be unveiled include:
- The new Nexus 4 phone by LG
- A 3G version of the Nexus 7
- A 10 inch Tablet by Samsung – Nexus 10 (with a very high resolution)
Rumored features of Android 4.2 include:
- Huge improvements to Google Now, cards will be different, a card comparing how much you’ve walked across months and a card that pops up when ever you go to a new city, showing all the POI’s and distance to them
- Notifications get further improvements, now you can read entire messages in the notification center
- UI improvements for bigger tablets
- The keyboard will come with something similar to Swype
- Profiles feature is coming for the tablets, not sure about the phone
- Google will introduce ‘Content in the center,’ which will allow users to access Play Store content from a widget
- Panoramic camera settings will be updated to support both horizontal and vertical movement by default
Even though there have been several hoaxes floating around, some of which listed similar features for Android 4.2, we are leaning toward believing this recent batch of reports. Both of these new independent sources make reference to Google’s “TGIF” meetings, and it appears that some of the Googlers outside of the Android team are spreading this information.
The Nexus 4 has already been heavily leaked, and it feels like we know everything about it, but the Nexus 10 tablet has not received the same hype. It was rumored that the Nexus 10 might have been pushed back to the first half of next year, but all the recent information has led us to believe it is in testing and will make its debut next week.
We have already seen the refreshed Nexus 7 with 32 GB storage go on sale, but we are really curious about the Nexus 7 with 3G modem. It’s likely that Google will sell the device unlocked, but I wonder if Google will roll out a new data plan for users. Google once wanted to subsidize a $9.99 unlimited data plan, but those plans fell apart and we haven’t heard anything new since. Google already offers 100 MB of free data each month on their Chromebooks, so it’s possible they could try something similar with an Android tablet.
If this is “everything that Google will unveil” next week, how do you feel the event is shaping up? Are you satisfied with a new Nexus phone, new Nexus tablets and a new version of Android? Or do you hope Google will have some bigger surprises in store?
[Thanks Brandon for the tip]