T-Mobile is quickly becoming the number one network in the US for unlocked Android phones. They already offer the fastest 4G HSPA+ 42 Mbps network, and they continue to refarm their spectrum to add service on the 1900 MHz band. Today they announced that 14 new metro areas have been upgraded to offer 4G HSPA+ on the 1900 MHz band. This brings their total number of enhanced markets to 37 metro areas, covering well over 100 million people.
Most unlocked Android phones support the 1900 MHz band, but T-Mobile’s existing 4G HSPA+ network operated on 1700/2100 MHz. In the markets where T-Mobile has enhanced their network, unlocked phones from AT&T and other countries can now take advantage of faster download and upload speeds.
I’m excited to see that today’s list of cities includes a number of markets in Texas, including Dallas where I live. I already have T-Mobile service through Solavei and Simple Mobile, so I’ll have to swap out my SIM cards and test out the speeds on some international phones like the HTC One X+.
New markets with enhanced T-Mobile coverage include:
- New York, including The Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan, Queens and Staten Island
- Newark, N.J., including the surrounding cities of East Orange, Elizabeth, Jersey City, North Bergen, Paterson and Union City
- Boston and Cambridge, Mass., including the surrounding cities of Amherst, Andover, Arlington, Bedford, Belmont, Billerica, Braintree, Brockton, Brookline, Burlington, Canton, Chelmsford, Chelsea, Chicopee, Dedham, Everett, Framingham, Hadley, Holbrook, Holyoke, Lawrence, Lexington, Lowell, Ludlow, Lynn, Malden, Marblehead, Medford, Melrose, Metheun, Milton, Nahant, Natick, Needham, Newton, Quincy, Reading, Revere, Salem, Saugus, Sommerville, Stoneham, Swampscott, Tewksbury, Wakefield, Walpole, Waltham, Watertown, Weston, Westwood, Weymouth, Wilmington, Winchester, Winthrop and Woburn
- Springfield, Mass.
- Providence, R.I., including the surrounding cities of Cranston, North Providence, Pawtucket and Warren
- Detroit and Warren, Mich., including the surrounding cities of Dearborn, Romulus, Royal Oak, Sterling Heights and Troy
- Dallas, including the surrounding cities of Arlington, Carrolton, The Colony, Denton, Farmers Branch, Flower Mound, Frisco, Garland, Grand Prairie, Irving, Lancaster, Lewisville, McKinney, Mesquite, Plano, Richardson, Rowlett and Southlake
- Fort Worth, Texas, including the surrounding cities of Keller and Mansfield
- Austin, Texas including the surrounding city of Round Rock
- San Antonio
- Tampa, Fla., including the surrounding cities of Clearwater, Largo, Safety Harbor, St. Petersburg and Vinoy Park
Over 95 percent of T-Mobile’s network has been refarmed for 4G HSPA+ on 1900 MHz spectrum but they have not launched HSPA+ service in all those markets yet. T-Mobile plans on refarming its entire 229-city footprint for HSPA+ on 1900 MHz spectrum by mid-2013, so be on the lookout for more announcements coming soon.