Jan 07 AT 6:33 PM Dustin Earley 74 Comments

First Ubuntu Phone OS download for Galaxy Nexus to be available in February

ubuntu-phone1

At a press event held in London last week, Canonical unveiled the next big thing for the Linux-based Ubuntu: a smartphone operating system. Demoed on a Samsung Galaxy Nexus, the operating system wasn’t complete, but early hands-on reports were positive. Today, it has been announced that the first installable download of Ubuntu Phone OS is going to be released in February.

It still won’t be feature complete, but in just over a month from now, Galaxy Nexus owners with a mind for tinkering will be able to experience their first encounter with Ubuntu for phones. It’s not said if the first release will include the Ubuntu app store or voice actions missing during the unveiling of the platform, but you can be sure the essentials (dialing and messaging) will be fully functional.

As one of the most widely used Linux distributions in world, it’s hard to imagine Ubuntu Phone OS not making a splash. It may be a little late to topple the empire Google has built with Android, but I’m sure it will have its following. If you have a Galaxy Nexus laying around, will you be installing Ubuntu Phone OS? Let us know in the comments.

Source: OMG! Ubuntu!

Dustin Earley: Tech enthusiast; avid gamer; all around jolly guy.

• BlkSquad

I will be checking this out. I’m salivating.

• datiecher

Throw this Ubuntu spin off together with Ubuntu TV and Ubuntu itself, we have a consistent experience across a lot of devices. Really can’t wait to try it!

• vforvortex

Phone only available in 2014, but the gesture interface looks really good once they fix the lag.

• WesGTR

I’m just waiting for the green light to tell TWRP to do that nandroid backup ASAP.

• Noven

Maybe I’ll order another Nexus 4 and wait for it to become available.

• nesx87

Will defo give the final build a go

• Nathan D.

That would be awesome to test out. To bad I don’t have a galaxy nexus.

• nimslake

I know , I was saying the same thing. Looks good and ‘tinkering’ is so much fun.

• Ardrid

• lokidokie

I’ll be checking it out for sure. Can’t see it being my daily driver tho

• Bill Sincavage

Definitely going to try, I’m getting a little tired of all the ASOP roms.

• renyo

Man this is very exciting news!

• bigpeepz

I happen to have a spare gnex lying around and I can’t wait. Every day I’ll ask myself if I feel like putting my sim in my Android phone or my ubuntu phone.

• aranea

• Anjie Cai

• Jorge Eslava

• nikhilverma

If I had one , I would definitely give it a try.

• troublecro

Can’t wait tbh

• g1user

I will definitely give it a spin!

• Shawn

I will definitely be installing this on my nexus. After the massive disappointment of the locked down crippled and practically useless thing that was the atrix webtop im excited to try this and watch it mature… oh and I kinda dig the way the phone ui works too, at least what I can see from the videos.

• sbala

OS looks promising

• cuteandrew21

• donger

Dual boot Android and Ubuntu, pretty sweet.

• alexanderharri3

• naierakram

Can I duel boot this on my Gnex, android and this OS?

• shnuffle

this sounds really great :D Too bad I don’t own a Galaxy Nexus xP

• masterpfa

Yay
    As I still have my Galaxy Nexus just hanging around gathering dust, now that I’ve got the Nexus 4 finally I will have something new to flash on it.
    Roll on February

• murali.ram

wish i could had one galaxy phone :-(

• magic.wind

Why don’t they consider releaing for Galaxy S3 which is high spec potential candidate.

• droilfade

Definitely…worth a shot! I’d like to see a walkthrough video of the OS!

• SeanPG1983

• Broseph Stalin

• mipd1980

• A.Woodbury

• Froojr

This, I may have to try. I rooted for a reason.

• Jake

HELL YES I CANT WAIT!!! Im getting kind of sick of the same old android os and i need to switch it up this is perfect because im a dual boot windows/ubuntu on my computer

• gh0st665

• Scott

Will it be a GSM, CMDA version or both?

• BigCiX

Why only a Galaxy Nexus?

• s_rob

Ill be giving Ubuntu a shot

• Karthik

I will give it a try on my GNex.

• Daniel Alvarez

Im trying to sell my gnexus(unlocked) email me if interested D.j.alvarez23@gmail.com

• Sarah

Yes, yes, can’t wait. I have the Nexus with an old prepaidcard of mine, but have an S3 fo my daily Android needs. I even tried around with Desktop Ubuntu on it.

• Dave

most excellent.

• awad

the developers will release this OS for all android smartphones galaxy sII and sIII and more
    its just matter of time

• smeghead68

Wow this looks nice. Just wondering what the app store will be like.

• bbblue11

yay! finally something that’s practical! ill drop my iPhone for UBUNTU!

• Joe

I am so glad I bought a Galaxy Nexus while I did now :)

Got 4.2.1 on it but now I think i’m going to have to give this ago (as long as I can flash Android back if I don’t like it)

• Jerin

My main phone is galaxy nexus. I’m definitely flashing. Will it run both Ubuntu and android in dock mode and when not connected, just android.

• pranil

I have Samsung galaxy note 2… I hope they launch a stable version for galaxy note 2 soon.. cant w8..

U r so lucky nexus users.. ;)

• Steven Perete

Keen to try this out. App SDK especially

• Kenny Strawn

FYI: The “app store” you’re thinking of is a mobile version of the Software Center. So refer to it that way, please!

• sammy

I’ve been using ubuntu for 4 years now, why only nexus I was hoping they’d bring a rom for old phones too.

• Seth Timmons

This will be on my Gnex within 2 hours of release or I will be ashamed.

• Attila Fulop

My choice of phone was HTC One S (it’s camera is better than Nexus) but having Ubuntu Phone OS available, I’m seriously considering to buy a Nexus instead. So the answer is yes :)

• exsy

I’m a developer, so yes, this will be the first drastic change to my GNexus since the last update.

• Kris

I would love to see this OS overtake Androids marketshare. I am sure that it will take a good chunk i mean look at iOS you have people who are Apple all the way from their computer to their tv to their phone/tablet. With what Ubuntu is doing that makes it possible for them to creat an Apple like Ecosystem without the Super expensive hardware, and im all about saving the $$$. But i will admit I do have 3 ecosystems in my home because im a tech nut and who needs furniture or food thats what family is for :P

• bossmizzle

Anyone knows whether the Samsung Galaxy S2 will be supported?

• Radomir Wojcik

This is very cool, and I think its the only way to go in the near future.

• martin ghosal

If people wonder why its the nexus phones its because the drivers are fairly open compared to the S3

• Dave

As soon as available, this will be on my G-nex! Can barely wait!!!

• Nathaniel Lewis

Definitely going to try this. I’ve never been much of a fan of Android, mainly because all the apps are Java based, but you can write native apps for Ubuntu Phone OS, and it doesn’t have all the bloat of Android.

• Gimlith

It can became THE phone solution to me.
    I like Android but just because it’s not so close than ios but if i can have a really free phone …

• FMurad

Is that possible to install Ubuntu phone OS on samsung galaxy s3??

• Nagaraj

Hey Dustin… Can it be installed on other mobiles as well ??

• ben

Yes! I have a gnex! So happy! Would I be able to dual boot though? And where can I download it? I couldn’t find it on ubuntu’s page

• Anthony

How long before i can have it on my s3.

• sachin_goral

waiting for the stable version

1. I will be checking this out. I’m salivating.

2. WesGTRGuest 2 years ago

3. I’m really excited for this. Anyone know where I can get a Galaxy Nexus for cheap still? Google has taken it down.

Maybe I’ll order another Nexus 4 and wait for it to become available.

4. Will defo give the final build a go

5. That would be awesome to test out. To bad I don’t have a galaxy nexus.

6. Canonical is doing some fairly impressive/innovative things with that OS. Would love to see some of what Ubuntu OS is capable of make its way towards Android. And I would definitely give it a show if I had a spare GNex around.

7. I’ll be checking it out for sure. Can’t see it being my daily driver tho

8. Definitely going to try, I’m getting a little tired of all the ASOP roms.

9. Man this is very exciting news!

10. bigpeepzGuest 2 years ago

11. Will this build allow dual booting? It’ll be cool to have both android and ubuntu on the same phone. Then I can try it when it becomes available for Nexus 4.

12. Almost sure that I will be “trying” this, but i don’t think it’s going to be a great hit based on my past experience with ubuntu

13. Do I have a Galaxy Nexus laying around? yes. Do I have the time to play around with this? I wish.

14. If I had one , I would definitely give it a try.

15. troublecroGuest 2 years ago

Can’t wait tbh

16. I will definitely give it a spin!

17. ShawnGuest 2 years ago

18. OS looks promising

19. I saw the review from youtube and it looked pretty cool but wasn’t sure for the first release. May be we should wait for the stable version after they fix the bugs.

20. Dual boot Android and Ubuntu, pretty sweet.

21. Will be interested in trying this out on the new replacement GNex that just came in once this becomes available. I won’t be using it as daily driver, since it takes time for an OS to flesh out and build out its capabilities to the level of Android right now. It’ll improve, but it’s got competition from the likes of Firefox OS, etc.

22. Can I duel boot this on my Gnex, android and this OS?

23. this sounds really great :D Too bad I don’t own a Galaxy Nexus xP

24. Yay
    Roll on February

25. wish i could had one galaxy phone :-(

26. magic.windGuest 2 years ago

27. Definitely…worth a shot! I’d like to see a walkthrough video of the OS!

28. I can not wait to try this out on my development Galaxy Nexus. I always thought Ubuntu would make a great mobile OS.

29. Seeing as my Gnex is my daily driver, I’ll skip on this until I have a new phone.

30. Since I have a Galaxy Nexus as my daily driver and I have been using Ubuntu for years, I will be trying this out…. Thank Goodness fro TWRP, Titanum Backup and of course being Rooted.

31. This is very exciting as an avid Linux and Android user. I’m sure it will come to the Nexus 4, so I’ll just wait!

32. This, I may have to try. I rooted for a reason.

33. JakeGuest 2 years ago

34. It’s sad that this will come out before the 4.2.* update to my Sprint Galaxy Nexus.

35. ScottGuest 2 years ago

Will it be a GSM, CMDA version or both?

36. Why only a Galaxy Nexus?

37. Ill be giving Ubuntu a shot

38. KarthikGuest 2 years ago

I will give it a try on my GNex.

39. Daniel AlvarezGuest 2 years ago

40. SarahGuest 2 years ago

41. DaveGuest 2 years ago

most excellent.

42. awadGuest 2 years ago

its just matter of time

43. Wow this looks nice. Just wondering what the app store will be like.

44. bbblue11Guest 2 years ago

yay! finally something that’s practical! ill drop my iPhone for UBUNTU!

45. JoeGuest 2 years ago

I am so glad I bought a Galaxy Nexus while I did now :)

46. JerinGuest 2 years ago

47. pranilGuest 2 years ago

U r so lucky nexus users.. ;)

48. Steven PereteGuest 2 years ago

Keen to try this out. App SDK especially

49. Kenny StrawnGuest 2 years ago

50. sammyGuest 2 years ago

51. Seth TimmonsGuest 2 years ago

This will be on my Gnex within 2 hours of release or I will be ashamed.

52. Attila FulopGuest 2 years ago

53. exsyGuest 2 years ago

54. KrisGuest 2 years ago

55. bossmizzleGuest 2 years ago

Anyone knows whether the Samsung Galaxy S2 will be supported?

56. Radomir WojcikGuest 2 years ago

This is very cool, and I think its the only way to go in the near future.

57. martin ghosalGuest 2 years ago

58. DaveGuest 2 years ago

As soon as available, this will be on my G-nex! Can barely wait!!!

59. Nathaniel LewisGuest 2 years ago

60. GimlithGuest 2 years ago

It can became THE phone solution to me.

61. FMuradGuest 2 years ago

Is that possible to install Ubuntu phone OS on samsung galaxy s3??

62. NagarajGuest 2 years ago

Hey Dustin… Can it be installed on other mobiles as well ??

63. benGuest 2 years ago

64. AnthonyGuest 2 years ago

How long before i can have it on my s3.

65. waiting for the stable version