Mar 05 AT 9:42 AM Nick Gray 22 Comments

LTE equipped Sony Xperia ZL soon to be available in US; black, white, red

sony-xperia-zl

It’s been nearly two months since the Sony Xperia ZL was unveiled at CES, but we’ve finally received word from Sony that the handset will soon be making its way to the United States. Typically, news like this is accompanied with details of a carrier partnership (most Sony phones typically launch at AT&T exclusive devices), but Sony has instead opted to sell the Xperia ZL on its own through its online Sony Store. Pricing and availability details are not yet available, but rumors are going around that Sony will charge $759.99 for the device. Consumers will have the option to purchase the Xperia ZL in white, black or red once the phone does go on sale.

As far as specs go, the Sony Xperia ZL is equipped with a quad-core 1.5GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 processor with 2GB of RAM, a 5-inch 1080 × 1920 pixel display, 13 MP camera sensor, 2,400 mAh battery, NFC and LTE connectivity. The Xperia ZL also features a unique LED notification light below the screen. Sony has placed the front-facing camera in the bottom right corner, enabling them to shrink the size of the device down to 5.18 x 2.7 x 0.39 inches.

While we were thoroughly impressed with the Sony Xperia ZL when we got some hands-on time at CES, Sony will have a hard time convincing people to pay full retail price for the phone when the HTC One and Samsung Galaxy S IV will be marketed to consumers through their service providers.

What’s your take on the Sony Xperia ZL and its retail strategy? Will Sony be able to gain in the US market as they have in Europe over the past year?

Source: Sony Store

• Robaire

I’ll be passing full price for whatever phone I get to keep my unlimited data. Unfortunately, I hate onscreen buttons with a passion, so this one is sadly off the list.

• Derek

I’m with you. I despise on-screen buttons.

The rest of this phone sounds pretty awesome though.

• Monk

Yep. Until they can put a screen in a Phone with “NO BEZEL”, I will prefer the buttons out of the screen to gain space. Also $760 seems a lot, but if they could finance it in 12 months with low (cero) intererest, it could be $64 monthly. You can pay that changing carrier to a pre-paid plan and even save some bucks

• Graham Steffaniak

this one is pretty close to bezeless, the closest of any phone at least.

• irishrally

Check out PA Pie. It shitz on any argument against on-screen buttons.

“Punch ‘n pieeee”

• MC_Android

1) Need to have an Android&Me account

2) Provide a response in addition to the downvote. Not just a subjective, “No, I like on-screen buttons more” but one that provides reason why the OP is wrong with his/her position.

To me, seems like capacitive or physical buttons are a better addition because your have a bigger screen space and the screen is fully being used to show content rather than control. You can also provide input with the screen off and you wouldn’t have to use the new feature in CM10.1 rom where you can “‘expand the desktop” by long-pressing the power button just to toggle the on-screen buttons back on whenever you want to go back or exit an app…etc

• Bigger screen

Do you realize that when you watch videos the buttons go away right?

Why do you need extra vertical length for on the screen? These days android phones have big enough screens

people say iphone 5 got bigger screen and that makes me a chuckle…really for an extra row?

With android what are you going to get with that extra vertical length when you are on the home screen…..extra row?……….. give me a break…

• SGB101

The 4OD streaming app doest, the buttons stay on on my nexus 7, really pee’s me off.

• TheDave

They own the market, and without contract pricing and lock-ins, sales will be meager at best.

• SGB101

I thought I was alone in hating the one screen buttons.

I am forever hitting the home and back button, when going for the space bar.

Would like away to stick the buttons to one location, so on rotation the stayed put, instead of following you.

• uknowme

• http://www.jeffkibuule.com Jeff

$760 phone? That’ll sell well. -_-

• Joel

And still…760 is super high for the average consumer. I think even early adopters are gonna be weary.

• F1apjacks

On a side note – That video was awful. The only thing in focus was the guy’s name tag and the aperture setting blew out the phone details.

• Brian Moore

Hopefully Sony is just showing off for Google to get the next Nexus….I can wish anyway. Google should just repackage this or the Z and sell it for half the price like they did with the Optimus G.

• irishrally

A few more Solavei ads plastered over every page on your site should help with that.

Seriously though, your terribly obnoxious Solavei ad aside, a $700 phone off contract is essentially free with the $30 you save each month over a 24 month [non] contract. Still would love to see it go for around $550 though.

• donger

Good specs.

• MC_Android

• Julian Rafael1

• MC_Android

However, I still disagree with the battery. You’re paying for a premium, top-of-the-line phone. It shouldn’t have that compromise. A 3100 mAh battery should be base battery considering a 5 inch 1080p phone. I’m guessing you’ll get about 2 and half hours of screen time based on Note 2′s lower resolution and same screen.

• hurric

• Kalyan

Guys does this mobile gets update to android 5.0

plz help i wanna buy this if it gets update

1. RobaireGuest 2 years ago

• I’m with you. I despise on-screen buttons.

The rest of this phone sounds pretty awesome though.

• MonkGuest 2 years ago

• Check out PA Pie. It shitz on any argument against on-screen buttons.

“Punch ‘n pieeee”

• +1: Idiots who are downvoting merely because you don’t agree with the statement: GTFO. Honestly, this site needs to have to measures in place to downvote:

1) Need to have an Android&Me account

• Bigger screenGuest 2 years ago

Do you realize that when you watch videos the buttons go away right?

2. Sony makes nice products, but you’re right Nick. It will be awfully hard (read:basically impossible) to gain in the US market without carrier support.

3. I thought I was alone in hating the one screen buttons.

I am forever hitting the home and back button, when going for the space bar.

4. Not a huge fan of on screen buttons myself. I really like this thing though. Damn this time of year!

5. $760 phone? That’ll sell well. -_-

6. Sony will continue doing well…but I doubt this move will help much. Dont think they have the phone rep they need to start selling retail off their site yet. Unless the device has the name “Nexus” on it, the sales figures arent gonna be to their liking.

7. Without a CDMA radio in there too, it wont even work on verizon…that makes it an automatic pass for me. $760 is way too high, as well.

8. Brian MooreGuest 2 years ago

9. “Sony will have a hard time convincing people to pay full retail price for the phone when the HTC One and Samsung Galaxy S IV will be marketed to consumers through their service providers”

10. With a 1080p 5 inch display and quad-core processor, I will be concerned about this phone’s battery life. Otherwise, this would’ve been a really solid device – minus an expandable storage. Honestly, the battery and microsd support compromise is likely due to keeping the phone as thin as possible but I would get this phone in a heartbeat if it was a bit thicker but had a better battery and microsd support.

• But it does have micro sd card support… And the battery seems ample, it could be much less.

• Hmm..didn’t see that mentioned in the article so i assumed it didn’t have it; my bad.

11. still prefer Z. and I haven’t heard anything it will come to Canada … i only paid full retail for my Nexus 4 ;)

12. KalyanGuest 2 years ago