Apr 19 AT 8:54 AM Taylor Wimberly 28 Comments

Facebook enables free voice calls in US via Messenger app

Facebook Messenger

Early this year Facebook started testing free voice calls in Canada via their Messenger app, and now the feature is slowly being rolled out to the US. If you have Facebook Messenger already installed, just open up your contacts list and click info on any person to see if there is an option for “Free call.”

Facebook calling works essentially the same way as any other V0IP service, such as Skype, but Facebook has the huge advantage of being the largest social network and having access to all your contacts.

I tested out the Facebook free calling feature last night and found the voice quality was pretty good. Calls can be made over a WiFi network or a cellular network. Facebook warns users that they still have to pay for data, but we are not sure exactly how much data a call consumes.

Most carriers now provide unlimited minutes, so there might not be an immediate advantage to making a VoIP call when data consumption is often limited. However, there are still a lot of people on older plans that have limited minutes and unlimited data, so Facebook calling could be appealing to them.

The feature is slowly being rolled out to Facebook accounts in the US, so don’t worry if it’s not available yet. If you have a Facebook account and want to test it out, grab Facebook Messenger from the link below.

Source: Facebook Messenger

• SGB101

No matter on your view of FB, this could be huge, and be a carrier killer.

• herbivore83

How so? How do you get the smartphone or data connection without a carrier?

• meidindan

Hi, My friends! This is good news! Why You Need a Smartphone? if you want, I have a wonderful online store to introduce myself. is very perfect. All products are discount crazy. , S4 Galaxy N9500 ​​Phone 5.0 Inches! 80% off! This is my favorite! Only € 159.99.’ve Acquired this wonderful phone and everything perfect, This is my first purchase on this site, I am proud to say that this is the most successful and the most satisfied with the products than ever in shopping línea.este phone has received a large number of Hispanic customers praise (see reviews of websites), I received the box bienes.En included typical, mobile, charger and headphones, all very well packaged and in perfect condition. and become one of the most vendidos.Potente function, easy operation, fast response, high quality, GPS, quad-core is soft screen, large, high-definition, 8MP, so surprise me. much better than I expected. This morning, fell desktop, but not a match either. I am so amazed by the incredible quality of the phone. everything is so perfect. Therefore, I am here to get the lowest price…. http://nie.im/9500

to me, is the best I’ve purchased. I present to you my friends today, everyone says it’s so perfect, very profitable and very deserving, very believable. Much of this praise perfect Android 4.2 N9500 ​​Galaxy S4. also store purchase. Meanwhile, we all free phone case and screen protector as gift. good seller. do not pay any fee, so wonderful. To say that the mobile brought some battery and was trasteandolo for an hour. After that hour of testing, I can say that the fluidity of the phone is very good, previously passed through my hands had other Chinese terminal monocore processor, and this with the mtk 6589 to 1.2 GHrz is an 8MP camera delicia.Tiene a large screen high definición.Me has come very fast, in perfect condition and is better than I expected. ols popular.También cheaper and more products venta.De fact, I bought four mobile phones given to my family, They loved it! I really highly recommend it to everyone. creíble.Sólo is € 159.99 + Euro fast delivery high quality + perfect after-sale service, act now!

• FakU

I had a pet bear once. He died in a Russian guerrilla attack.

• thel0nerang3r

• duffguy123

• SGB101

I’m on unlimited calls / text / data.

But I’m slowly moving to im and voip services, as I’m planning for when my contract ends.

Had a contract for 13years,and come end of contact, I’ll be getting a data sim only, using my Skype number, facebook, and bable. I’ll only meet minimal data as 9/10 times I have wifi.

The carrier data will be a back up for emergencies

• jskennedy19

…… Google Voice + Groove IP. Free calls to any US number as well as free texting, and free call forwarding to any phone.

FB Calls is kinda stupid when Google lets you do all that.

• SGB101

Until we see bable, Google offering sucks and is mainly used but geeks.

O and the main thing g voice is us (maybe canada) only. And they way it works atm it is likely to stay that way.

I know Skype, and a number of others do calls well, but facebook has the numbers.

The carriers will be watching this very closely.

• Nathan D.

• sandra

Actually i am with tmobile and i cant actually call thru wifi…this feature has helped me, since my phone is disconnected….

• Aaron

Your phone has to be activated for wifi calling to work, it needs an active number.

• michi

Re: NEED TO HAVE PHONE SERVICE

My phone service is disconnected….I was shocked when I received phone calls from two of my friends in India ( im in U.S.A.)
          I am only able to use my phone over wifi ….and use mainly for facebook and youtube….. so Im pretty excited to know I can get calls now too!

• killrgummibear

and to the guy above that said this “Google offering sucks and is mainly used but geeks” really!?!? since you’re on this site and posting i’m guessing your using an android device…so i’m go out on a limb here and say that you sir are a geek. that’s if you stand by your own words. if you haven’t notice android is google…or did you think it was just apple in disguise? also stop trolling.

• SGB101

Google to should be able to make an offering, but what they have today just doesn’t cut it. To many disjointed services, Hopefully Babel will cure it.

• MC_Android

Of course, USA only…

• donger

Facebook is taking over.

• FormerYooper

I have tried the free phone call feature with a family member …. and we’ll be darned if we can get any audio to work. We both hear the FB phone ring when the call is coming in … but no audio for the conversation. Then, when we end the call, we hear the audio of the call ending. Can anyone give us any tips or suggestions on what we’re doing wrong? Thanks a bunch!

• Bhugtaan mobile and Dth recharge App

When will this feature available in India. I also want to take advantage of it.
    Dth Recharge App

• michi

I am in USA and two of my Indian friends call me… calls get cut short at times but call sound quality is very good.

• Dinda

yeah oke

• Mary Lou Allen

When using messenger phone can you see who that person is talking to? ie: their profile pic in the background

• steveaugusta

Get call to Natwest customer service phone number or helpline phone number to be put through to a member of Natwest customer service department.
    Natwest Customer Service Phone Number

• jill waugh

when i free call people they cannot hear me,i can hear them perfectly

• Cassie

I used it FB messenger call from my apple I phone while in Mexico and it worked great I was on free wifi through the resort! Just wonder if it used any of my data because I had it turned off

• Lisa Roy

Thanks a lot for wonderful information. This information gonna help me a lot to be on safer side . Will remember all the tricks from next time. Thank You Very Much .
    Pc Help

• manoj

hi i am from bahrain and using samsung note 2.
    not getting fb free call. please help me…

• dipankar das

aei nokkia5800 massanger thaka call kara jaba yes\no

1. No matter on your view of FB, this could be huge, and be a carrier killer.

• How so? How do you get the smartphone or data connection without a carrier?

• meidindanGuest 2 years ago

• FakUGuest 2 years ago

I had a pet bear once. He died in a Russian guerrilla attack.

• Carriers are giving out minutes like it’s candy. Voice usage is going down year on year. Carriers care more about data usage… which is why most plans have caps. The carriers would love for more people to use VoIP on their cellphones. They can charge you for data overages.

2. Or if you’re on the T-Mobile 100 Mins/5GB of data….I always run out of minutes a little before the end of the month :-/

• I’m on unlimited calls / text / data.

The carrier data will be a back up for emergencies

3. jskennedy19Guest 2 years ago

FB Calls is kinda stupid when Google lets you do all that.

• Until we see bable, Google offering sucks and is mainly used but geeks.

The carriers will be watching this very closely.

4. T-mobile already had wifi calling that does similar job so it not like it a big deal, yet.

• sandraGuest 1 year ago

• AaronGuest 1 year ago

• michiGuest 1 year ago

Re: NEED TO HAVE PHONE SERVICE

5. this is really just another gimmick. no point to this at all. until this starts doing free international calls including mexico (not discounted) it’s worthless. ppl were making voip calls last year without facebook so why do we need it now all of a sudden?

• Hell yes I’m a geek,I wouldn’t be here listing to your shit otherwise! I was talking about everyday people aren’t using Google voice, it a geek thing mainly. There was no trolling, it was the complete opposite, I’m in total favour for a company to bring free calls to the world, and FB are In prime position.

6. Of course, USA only…

7. Facebook is taking over.

8. FormerYooperGuest 2 years ago

9. Bhugtaan mobile and Dth recharge AppGuest 2 years ago

When will this feature available in India. I also want to take advantage of it.
    Dth Recharge App

• michiGuest 1 year ago

10. DindaGuest 2 years ago

yeah oke

11. Mary Lou AllenGuest 2 years ago

12. steveaugustaGuest 2 years ago

Natwest Customer Service Phone Number

13. jill waughGuest 2 years ago

when i free call people they cannot hear me,i can hear them perfectly

14. CassieGuest 1 year ago

15. Lisa RoyGuest 1 year ago

Pc Help

16. manojGuest 1 year ago

hi i am from bahrain and using samsung note 2.
    not getting fb free call. please help me…

17. dipankar dasGuest 5 months ago