Apr 17 AT 10:25 AM Taylor Wimberly 41 Comments

Google Glass gets unboxed

google-glass-head-630

After a year of waiting, developers and early adopters have started to receive the Google Glass “Explorer Edition” units that were pre-ordered at Google IO 2012. The retail version of Google Glass is expected to be available later this year (for an unknown price that is lower than the $1500 Explorer Edition), but you can get a quick preview of what to expect thanks to a couple of unboxing videos that just hit the web.

Google IO 2013 is just around the corner, so we should get to spend some hands-on (or heads-on?) time with this exciting piece of technology soon enough. Developers who are interested in creating apps for Glass should check out the Quick Start Guide for the official API documentation.

If Google Glass turns out to be affordable (think price of a smartphone), how many of you will be interested in picking up a pair?

Source: Google Glass

• johnnycsx

• dimal

I love the idea :) especially if the face recognition feature will be working well :) We will be living in a completely spy-free world!

p.s. only if this thing costs less than 200$

• Susan89

Im waiting for Apple iGlass instead, it will be much better i guess.
      iGlass and iPhone 5 would be a perfect fit.

Yours, Susi

• domi1k

@Susan : Combined with IOS maps it will probably be a ‘killer’ combination! :D

• Darle

in that case she will be walking down a cliff you know…

• http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/profile.php?id=583695634&ref=profile Rahul Singh

I will be the first in line to pick them up.

• Max.Steel

It won’t be mainstream until it hits the $300 mark.

• ERB0817

• Ajay

I am in the same boat. Without prescriptions the glasses wouldn’t work for me either.

• Stella

• epps720

• Nate B.

Excited

• mario_1603

when google glass costs like $400-$500 I’ll but it..

• mario_1603

*buy it

• n25philly

I’d much rather unwrap the girl in the picture…

• aranea

• herbivore83

• aranea

• herbivore83

• aranea

• sandwich

• Joe

Hmm. Link Google Glass to Google image search. Go to a bar. Find a hottie. Get her facebook, Google+, Twitter, LinkedIn, Yelp, and everything else you can before hitting on her.

Yeah, the creep factor could be quite high with these.

I’m betting you could charge a thousand and never be able to produce enough.

As for me, if you could demonstrate other usefulness, maybe $500.

• johnnycsx

• herbivore83

• johnnycsx

Alas, I stand corrected! I haven’t actually

• smeghead68

• herbivore83

• adjuk

Your not “hitting” anything with Google Glass on you head.

Just say’in.

• epps720

• jamal adam

• SGB101

If I had glass;Fly by wire, shoulder mounted canon

Just like the Predator!

I wish I knew about the comp before it ended!

• http://technicquill.com Jess Blanchard

• tagstar

I would design differently.

First, a pair of glasses shouldn’t be more than $69 a pair. It’s like the iPod nano.

2nd it should support inserting prescription lens.

3rd, The digital screen needs to be on both sides. Do you really only see the screen through one eye?

• ERB0817

• Nathan D.

• SGB101

You can, it’s ‘Google now’ that will basically be the interface to glass.

Now seems to be doing the ground work in phones in prep for glass.

I’ve noticed my ‘now’ seems to be getting better over the last few weeks. They must be flicking some more switched here in the UK.

• Jorge Vieira

I will be on it like white on rice!

• donger

Lucky guy.

• NUNYUZ

ARE ALL OF YOU MORONS SERIOUS ? GET A LIFE, GO HAVE A HUMAN TO HUMAN CONVERSATION, DROP THE TECHNOLOGY DRONE STUFF, STOP TEACHING UR KIDS TO BE DRONES TO TECHNOLOGY LIKE YOU ARE.
    Grab a a set of gloves and baseball and go play catch, hell, use the money u considered on “GOOGLE INTRUSION GLASS” on your electric bill or go grocery shopping or pay off some debt instead of go into more debt. GET A LIFE PEOPLE !!!

• z K

Google glass is an amazing technology and its crazy how their coming up with these great ideas. I would love to buy it soon. If you want to make extra cash for totally free come check this site out and maybe you’ll be able to afford google glass too.

• Jeff

Even at $350, I still wouldn’t buy it because they don’t do much.

I’d rather take an extra second to pull my phone out of my pocket because I can do a lot more things on my phone and because I’d save a ton of money.

1. I’ll get one for 500ish. Don’t think I could justify paying more than that, but the whole concept is pretty sweet if you ask me.

• dimalGuest 2 years ago

p.s. only if this thing costs less than 200$

• Susan89Guest 2 years ago

Im waiting for Apple iGlass instead, it will be much better i guess.
      iGlass and iPhone 5 would be a perfect fit.

Yours, Susi

• domi1kGuest 2 years ago

@Susan : Combined with IOS maps it will probably be a ‘killer’ combination! :D

• DarleGuest 2 years ago

in that case she will be walking down a cliff you know…

2. I will be the first in line to pick them up.

3. It won’t be mainstream until it hits the $300 mark.

4. I would love to get them when they come out, but unfortunately I wear actual glasses and they aren’t compatible with prescriptions as of yet. I would also like to see them become embedded better into a lens so those who wear them aren’t targets to have them stolen.

• AjayGuest 2 years ago

5. I think Glass will sell well if Google keeps the price at around what an average high end smartphone goes for on the current market. If they get top cellular carriers to subsidize it, people will definitely be willing to purchase it.

• I believe that Glass works in conjunction with your cell phone so it does not need a data plan and therefore won’t see any subsidies from Carriers. So that may not happen

6. when google glass costs like $400-$500 I’ll but it..

7. I’d much rather unwrap the girl in the picture…

8. I’ll just echo what others were saying for about $500 I’ll be in line (or on my computer if it turns out to be similar to Nexii 4 and 10 release). Between $500-$1000 I’ll think about it. Over $1000 I’ll wait for the price to come down.

9. I will not be getting these. I’m not usually one for privacy concerns (hard to be a Google fan and care about the information they’re collecting), but I find this product creepy. I foresee early publicity issues for Google where this device is being used inappropriately. The outcry will lead to many public places banning the use of such a device. Although I like the concept in theory, the fact that I won’t be able to use it in a lot of places is enough to stop me from spending the money to buy it.

• Right now there are apps that let you to pretend like you’re talking on the phone and take pictures or record video. More, you can just buy a camera that looks like a pen or a pin etc and record. They are much cheaper than Glass. In short, without Glass you can invade privacy quite easily.

• While this is true, those sorts of apps don’t get the publicity that Glass gets. You’re comparing apples to oranges when it comes to public perception. The media has been talking about Glass for how long? And it always leads to a discussion about the privacy implications and the mode where you can take pictures every ten seconds. It’s a hot-button issue and I was theorizing about how it will be received and how businesses will react. I don’t find my theory far-fetched.

• I see your point in glass being promoted a lot but none of that promotion includes ill-use of the device. You are jumping to conclusions assuming people will use it for bad things just because they see people using it for good things. There are situations in which it’s impolite to use a cell phone or out right unlawful such as texting while driving There is also a significant problem of sexting among teenagers. Yet none of this caused an outcry against cell phones. It resulted in restriction of their use and people being more informed about them. I don’t think there will be an outcry or public ban of glass or any other similar device but similar to cell phones there will be restricted places they can’t be used i.e. in a courtroom and there will be occasions it’s impolite to use them.

10. Do the uber-thin fonts used on the Glass page look terrible for anyone else? The capital “H” is completely missing the crossbar, for example. Bad font-smoothing / anti-aliasing / hinting?

11. JoeGuest 2 years ago

Yeah, the creep factor could be quite high with these.

I’m betting you could charge a thousand and never be able to produce enough.

As for me, if you could demonstrate other usefulness, maybe $500.

• Unless Google has some crazy facial recognition software synced up with the bajillion images on the web, I wouldn’t worry all *that* much. Other usefulness? I can think of a ton. Imagine the augmented reality stuff you could pull off, GPS navigation, social media integration (sharing and all that). I think it’d be pretty cool.

• Have you tried searching by an image? It’s scary accurate and for most people takes almost no time to find them.

• Alas, I stand corrected! I haven’t actually

• Never knew that existed… Just tried it with an old vacation picture and AMAZING!!! Google knew where the picture was taken. Mind you the pic i used has been taken a million times but still…….

• Yeah if I see a picture out of context and want more information, I just drop it in Google and its guess is usually correct.

• Your not “hitting” anything with Google Glass on you head.

Just say’in.

12. For a guy who spent $1,500 on Glass you would think he would have a better camera for his first unboxing. The choppiness was horrendous, my G-Nex takes better video

13. Can’t wait till it gets to an affordable price. I’ll be looking at it from a distance till then (unless, you know if I randomly spot someone using it and get a hands-on).

14. If I had glass;Fly by wire, shoulder mounted canon

Just like the Predator!

I wish I knew about the comp before it ended!

15. If these get down below $500, I would consider buying a pair just so I can remember what I did on my more adventurous nights on the town.

16. tagstarGuest 2 years ago

I would design differently.

2nd it should support inserting prescription lens.

• I’m pretty sure I read something that Google is working on having it work with prescription glasses, it just won’t from release. An Vageta only needed one eye on his scouter to know Goku’s power level was over 9000!

17. I’ll be interested but I’ll wait until I can get the same thing on my phone with an app or something of a lesser nature

• You can, it’s ‘Google now’ that will basically be the interface to glass.

Now seems to be doing the ground work in phones in prep for glass.

18. I will be on it like white on rice!

19. Lucky guy.

20. NUNYUZGuest 2 years ago

21. z KGuest 2 years ago

22. JeffGuest 2 years ago

Even at $350, I still wouldn’t buy it because they don’t do much.