Apr 04 AT 6:07 PM Taylor Wimberly 48 Comments

HTC One Developer Edition to launch on April 19th

htc-one-clear-630

We have been begging HTC to offer more unlocked devices in the US, so I was excited to see them announce the HTC One Developer Edition last month. HTC already revealed the unlocked One with 64GB of memory would retail for $649, but we didn’t know exactly when it would go on sale. Today I bumped into the HTC team at the Facebook event and they were nice enough to confirm the launch date.

An HTC spokesperson said, “The HTC One developer edition will be available for pre-order in the coming days through www.HTC.com and will be available for sale starting on April 19th.”

The HTC One Developer Edition will support all the 2G/3G/4G/LTE bands of AT&T, but it should also work on T-Mobile. When it comes to HSPA+ the device supports 850/1900/2100 MHz. T-Mobile mainly uses 1700 MHz for their HSPA+ network, but they have been refarming their network to support 1900 MHz in select cities. Sightings of T-Mobile’s 1900 MHz network can be found at Airportal.de.

When it comes to LTE, the device supports 700/850/AWS/1900 MHz (US). T-Mobile is rolling out LTE on AWS bands and we believe the Developer Edition should support it, but we are still waiting on final confirmation. We have reached out to HTC to see if the device will support T-Mobile LTE and we will update this post when we get an answer.

I don’t know how big the demand will be for the HTC One Developer Edition, but I plan on buying one just to support devices that are SIM and bootloader unlocked.

If you are planning on buying the HTC One on April 19th, which version will you be getting? AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, or the unlocked model for the US?

• Nate B.

• Arthur

$649.99 isn’t bad for a current flagship Android device with 64GB storage and completely unlocked.

• http://androidandme.com Taylor Wimberly

Unlocked 64GB iPhone 5 is $849.

• Anjie Cai

exactly why no one buys unlocked 64gb iphone 5′s lol

• meidebai

My friends! This is good news! Now the most popular on the net the Galaxy S3 i9300 Phone Only € 99.99. 80% price reduction! Phone I purchased this wonderful and perfect, This is my first purchase on this site, I’m proud to say that this is the most successful and the most satisfied with the products shopping never solves this phone has received a large number of Hispanic customers praise (see reviews of websites), and become one of the most vendidos.Potente function , easy operation, fast response, high quality, GPS, everything is so perfect. Therefore, I am here to get the lowest price!

I received the box bienes.En included typical, mobile, charger and headphones, all very well packaged and in perfect condition. To say that the mobile brought some battery and was trasteandolo for an hour. After that hour of testing, I can say that the fluidity of the phone is very good, previously passed through my hands had other Chinese terminal monocore processor, and this with the mtk 6577 to 1.2 GHrz is an 8MP camera delicia.Tiene a large screen high definición.Me has come very fast, in perfect condition and is better than I expected. Now, to check the durability, which is what scares me, but looks good. Jelly Bean Android 4.1.1. You can put fully in both Spanish and can disable tod.una wonder, through my own experience, The Spanish? Ols popular.También cheaper and more products venta.De fact, I bought four mobile phones given to my family, they loved it! I really highly recommend it to everyone. creíble.Sólo is Euro € 99 + fast delivery + high quality perfect after-sale service, act now! http://e33e.com.ar/1511

• Anjie Cai

• thel0nerang3r

• Anjie Cai

• thel0nerang3r

• mlynch01

Been waiting on this! I will be preordering this bad boy!

• Good_Ole_Pinocchio

• http://androidandme.com Taylor Wimberly

• Thomas Rummel

HTC just stated on their website the following: “The unlocked version does not support the 1700 band so HSPA+ and LTE will not work on the T-Mobile network.”

• Andre

Do you know if this edition works with Brazilian carriers? I mean, if I buy it in US, bring to Brazil and use my own SIM, is It going to work?

• Good_Ole_Pinocchio

Depends on the network GSM based carrier? Then i’d say sure 100%

• Andre

And how can I discover that? Thank you!

• clocinnorcal

Try using Google to search for whatever band your current carrier uses.

• yankeesusa

There’s a link in the ad to find out tmobile’s frequency map area

• Vance

• http://androidandme.com Taylor Wimberly

• Good_Ole_Pinocchio

• orangestrat

AWS LTE means it’ll work on Bell, right? If so, I’m buying it at launch.

• jean

just ordered one and im with bell/virgin
      hope it works! ifnot, its going on ebay

• Nathan D.

T-mobile of course if I was getting one, but I can’t

• snowbdr89

Only an I dummy is dumb enough to pay for that crappy build quality they call an iPhone!!

• yankeesusa

It’s not crappy, it’s just not as good as a high end android phone.

• Galen20K

• Anjie Cai

(╯°â–¡°ï¼‰â•¯ï¸µ ┻━┻ GIVE US THE ORIGINAL DEV FRIENDLY HTC DEVICES.

• veracu

• HeadDoc

• CDUnlimited

For what it’s worth I’m running an unlocked One X+ on T-Mobile right now and I’m currently using a little over 20GB of space. My photo library is growing everyday so I couldn’t see moving down to a 32GB device. I pre-ordered a 64GB developer edition earlier today.

• axi6ne8us

the unlocked model for the US and international
    don’t care much for carrier branding and software

• donger

Yes please.

• redraider133

• irishrally

What load of crap that it doesn’t fully support TMO. ATT Dev phone ffs. Pass.

• yankeesusa

• irishrally

• yankeesusa

• troysyx

• irishrally

That’s useful to about 8 people.

• irishrally

And that link has nothing to do with the dev One

• Galen20K

wow, you’re really a jerk aren’t you? ; )

• irishrally

I’m annoyed that the dev phone is an AT&T phone. It was late.

• Darrin

Can anybody tell me if this will work on the Sprint network?

• discbrake

Developer Edition radio should be like the Sony Xperia ZL. Look a this:

Cellular and Wireless : UMTS HSPA+ 850, 900, 1700, 1900, 2100 GSM GPRS/EDGE 850, 900, 1800, 1900 LTE Band I, Band II, Band IV, Band V and Band XVII

AT&T and T-Mobile friendly out of the box!

• Esoth

• Rob Schertzer

Well, it looks like the pre-orders for the Developer Edition have now completely sold out from the HTC on-line store. There was a problem with my order earlier today resulting in an email later on informing me that my order was cancelled. I went back on-line to order tonight and they are all gone. Too bad as I had pre-ordered from Expansys more than a month ago and the price there will probably be at least $200 more than direct from HTC.

• Jason

I bought the HTC One Developer’s Edition. It would not do 4G with T-Mobile in my area (Salt Lake City). It would only do 2G (Edge). I had to buy the T-Mobile version to get 4G. Unfortunately, they only have the 32GB model right now. Ask before you buy!

1. Why don’t they come with the original one developer friendly from the beginning?

• ArthurGuest 2 years ago

• Unlocked 64GB iPhone 5 is $849.

• exactly why no one buys unlocked 64gb iphone 5′s lol

• meidebaiGuest 2 years ago

• Devs are people. They aren’t money trees, $649 is still a ton of money. From what I know, the pricing of phones matter a lot to the selection of devices for these devs. And what they buy determines what us androidaholics purchase (sometimes) :D

• In the US, the carrier gets a lot of say. My guess is that carriers demand the phone be locked. Most brands couldn’t survive if the carriers didn’t officially carried the devices.

• the carrier does carry a lot of weight but the manufacturers can be like Apple and control their own fking devices (something they’re actually doing right and many manufacturers should follow)

• I think Apple is in a different position. If ATT asks for the handset to be locked and HTC says no, they can go to Samsung, Motorola, Sony, etc. One of them will do it.

2. Been waiting on this! I will be preordering this bad boy!

3. I mean honestly… If I’m going to get this phone on At&t I’ll get it under contract….. UNLESS! This also supports Tmobile LTE, then that would be HUGE! I’ll definitely get it unlocked if it supports the newly rolled out TMOB Networks.

• I believe the unlocked version will work on T-Mobile LTE. I’m just waiting for someone to tell me I’m wrong.

• Thomas RummelGuest 2 years ago

4. AndreGuest 2 years ago

5. Has t-mobile even officially announced they’ll have their version of the One on April 19? They’ve been so focused on marketing their iphone 5 launch, I haven’t actually seen anything confirming the 19th as their launch day for the One.

• I haven’t seen a release date for T-Mobile, but I would assume it could be around the 19th. The iPhone 5 launches on April 12, so they might announce it after that happens.

• Tmobile doesn’t have a launch date. “By the end of April” is still their time frame though.

6. AWS LTE means it’ll work on Bell, right? If so, I’m buying it at launch.

• jeanGuest 2 years ago

just ordered one and im with bell/virgin
      hope it works! ifnot, its going on ebay

7. T-mobile of course if I was getting one, but I can’t

8. snowbdr89Guest 2 years ago

9. I’d rather get the Developer Unlocked 64GB version to use on T-Mobile and I do live in a re-farmed 1900 HSPA market but the fact that currently the 1900 PCS HSPA doesn’t yet support DC-HSPA, it will in the future just not yet until the LTE network is more fleshed out so I’m probably going to just go with the T-Mobile version.

10. (╯°â–¡°ï¼‰â•¯ï¸µ ┻━┻ GIVE US THE ORIGINAL DEV FRIENDLY HTC DEVICES.

11. i like the idea of purchasing the developer edition to support sim and bootloader unlocked devices. and since i’m on t-mobile i also like the $99 down payment with monthly payments. if my math is correct the developer edition is $70 more and all upfront but i won’t have to root and unlock it myself which i would do with the t-mobile version. i don’t know. i dropped $350 on the nexus 4 so that’ll make $1000 this year on two new devices. i can’t justify it to myself but…that hasn’t really stopped me before. i have to be patient for the x phone and the nexus 5 before i make a decision. that’s my hope.

12. I have been wanting to switch from AT&T to T-Mobile ever since I learned about T-Mobile’s new plans, and that they were getting the One. Now I have to decide if I am willing to “upgrade” my 64GB One X+ to a 32GB One, or get this version. Any thoughts?

• CDUnlimitedGuest 2 years ago

13. axi6ne8usGuest 2 years ago

the unlocked model for the US and international
    don’t care much for carrier branding and software

14. Yes please.

15. Wish they would just make all the phones the developer edition, why even waste time and resources for a phone that isn’t going to sell that many, especially at $849

16. irishrallyGuest 2 years ago

What load of crap that it doesn’t fully support TMO. ATT Dev phone ffs. Pass.

• Reason is because tmobile is changing their frequency to match everyone else’s which is great for everyone especially travelers.

• Not seeing to logical connection to the HTC One Dev addition being useless to majority of tmo users. It really wouldn’t have been that hard to give this 1700, you know, like the non-dev version will have …

17. This will only help htc. Good move. If the phone was at least 5.3 I might get it. I’m just used to the bug screen on my note 2.

18. It will support TMO’s LTE network!! :-) straight from the HTC websitehttp://www.htc.com/us/smartphones/htc-one/#specs

19. DarrinGuest 2 years ago

Can anybody tell me if this will work on the Sprint network?

20. discbrakeGuest 2 years ago

Developer Edition radio should be like the Sony Xperia ZL. Look a this:

AT&T and T-Mobile friendly out of the box!

21. Hopefully they’ll still let you unlock the bootloader easily on the normal Ones. And I also hope it isn’t so darn hard to get S-OFF, like with the One X.

22. Rob SchertzerGuest 2 years ago