NVIDIA surprised everyone at CES with the announcement of their mobile gaming device Project SHIELD, and today they finally revealed the launch details. Fans who signed up to receive updates by clicking “Notify Me” on the SHIELD website will have an exclusive opportunity to pre-order starting today for $349. Pre-order for the general public will open on May 20th, and retail launch partners include Newegg, Gamestop, Micro Center, and Canada Computers. NVIDIA said SHIELD will ship “in June,” but they did not provide a specific date.
We were told that SHIELD would not be cheap, but the $349 retail price seems like a good value compared to other high-end Android devices with 5-inch displays. SHIELD will be the first product to ship with NVIDIA’s new Tegra 4 chip, so it will be the fastest Android device we have ever seen. The open platform gaming system also has access to one of the largest ecosystems of games, including NVIDIA Tegra Zone, Google Play, and Steam (with optional GeForce game streaming).
Here’s what you’ll get:
- Tegra 4 — The world’s fastest mobile processor, Tegra 4, delivers rich graphics and unbeatable performance thanks to 72 GPU cores, four CPU cores, and 2GB of RAM
- Console-grade controller — Precise control — thanks to dual analog joysticks, a full-sized D-Pad, left and right analog triggers, full-sized bumpers and A/B/X/Y buttons
- Multi-touch Display — 5-inch, 720p retinal multi-touch display for high-fidelity visuals
- Integrated Speakers — Custom, bass reflex, tuned port audio system — we think this is SHIELD’s sleeper feature
- Wi-Fi — 802.11n 2X2 MIMO game-speed Wi-Fi for seamless game streaming
- Pure Android — Latest Android Jelly Bean operating system from Google, for access to Android games and apps
- There’s more — We put into SHIELD everything we would want in a premium mobile gaming device… 16 GB memory, GPS, BlueTooth 3.0, a mini-HDMI output, micro-USB 2.0, a microSD storage slot, an 3.5 mm stereo headphone jack… see the full spec sheet, here.
In addition to the launch details, NVIDIA also revealed 5 cutting-edge games that will rock SHIELD.
It will be interesting to see how the SHIELD sells since it is such a unique Android product. Dedicated game consoles seems to be on the decline, but the SHIELD offers the pure stock Android experience and it is capable of so much more.
Based on the retail price and what you know of SHIELD, how many of you plan to pre-order this device?