Welcome back to the return of our weekly Top 10 Android App Updates column, where we take a look at the most upgraded apps for the week. I’ve found that one of the best ways to discover useful apps is to look at what people are actually updating, and not focus on which apps have the most installs. As in the past, we are going to filter out minor updates for the super popular apps that have over 10 million installs, but I’m going to make an exception for apps that had significant updates. I hope you enjoy this weekly feature and discover some apps that you might find useful.
Dolphin Browser – Version 10.0
- New UI design
- Web App Store: Easily add popular web apps to your home screen
- Home screen now supports drag & drop grouping of speed dials into folders, with 60+ speed dial slots
- Dolphin key: single swipe access to browser menu, tab list or Gesture/Sonar
- Search directly within Amazon, Twitter, Wikipedia, eBay, Youtube, Twitter or Facebook from URL bar
- Flash support can be re-enabled in settings
- Themes & Night Mode have been updated for v10. Install the updated versions from Google Play
Dolphin Browser has steadily improved over time and it’s nice to see they decided to go with an updated UI and reinstate Flash support. Those of you wanting to try another browser should make sure to check out this application.
Photo Editor by Aviary – Version 3.0.0
- Completely redesigned and features a beautiful new interface. It’s faster, cleaner, and easier to use.
- Enhance has been enhanced! Hi-Def sharpens and defines, Illuminate fixes lighting issues
- Color Fix does great color correction.
- New Effects make your photos look beautiful.
Aviary has always been a great tool to manipulate your photos on the go. The new interface is very sharp and really enhances the look of the application. Don’t delay! Click on the link above to enjoy this awesome mobile photo editing tool.
Feedly – Version 16.0.5
- Feedly Cloud Sync
- Fixed + regression
- Fixed command token expiration
- Re-enabled auto-refresh
- Better title only view (on both 4″, 7″ and 10″ formats)
- Brought back the old list view
- Better support for Hebrew and Farsi
- Titles are no longer cut off in the title only view on smaller phones
- Lots of small bug fixes
Over the past couple months Feedly has emerged as one of the top Google Reader replacement apps. Their new cloud sync option allows other rss apps such as gReader to easily tie into Feedly. Make sure you check it out if it’s not already installed on your device.
Waze – Version 126.96.36.199
- Facebook events – your events appear on the navigation list for easy, one tap navigation
- Friends bar on the map – see friends headed to the same place and the order they’ll arrive
- Real time and offline beeping at friends
- Exclusive moods for map editors only – 8 bit, robot and T-Rex
- Redesigned pop up alerts
- 3 state mute button in main menu
- Foursquare check in from the report menu
- Remove button added to history
- Stability & Bug fixes from Jun 6 release
Google recently purchased Waze for a billion dollars, a price that’s certainly justifiable. Waze is a map application that adds a social level to provide near real-time traffic updates while you drive.
MyFitnessPal – Version 2.7-3340
- Modern UI facelift
- Improved navigation
- More consistent user experience
- Cleaner screen structure
- French, German, Spanish, Brazilian Portuguese] language support
- Expanded unit support for weight, height, distances logged, and energy consumed and burned.
It’s nice to see MyFitnessPal update to a cleaner more Holo like interface. There are many food tracking apps out there, but to my knowledge, the food database in MyFitnessPal is the largest, and one of the best.
Minus – Version 2.0
- Swipe the map and explore the world.
- Tap to chat instantly.
- Meet new friends from anywhere
- Added greetings inbox for incoming chats.
- Added icons to indicate online users.
- Simplified navigation.
- Numerous bug fixes and improvements.
Minus lets you explore the world around you as you travel. Meet new people and discover the various cultures around the world.
DashClock Widget – Version 1.5
- NEW! Use DashClock with Android 4.2′s Daydream feature; great for use with desktop docks!
- NEW! Option to specify a manual location for weather
- Weather extension now shows high/low information
- Calendar extension now shows the current appointment if it started in the past 5 minutes
- Fixed a number of bugs with the Gmail and SMS extensions
- For developers: New API features
DashClock Widget is a great way to organize your most important information on a single screen. The open API is a great addition and the number of DashClock extensions seems to grow daily. Keep in mind this does require Android 4.2.
Dragon Mobile Assistant – Version 4.0.0
- Driver Mode Auto Detect – Dragon automatically switches into Driver Mode when traveling is detected
- Added Email dictation capabilities – use your voice to create an email (finally!)
- Auto Readback of Facebook Newsfeed and Notifications activity
- General stability and performance updates and a smattering of bug fixes
This is a great app for those of you looking for a solid voice activated application to use while driving. Whether you need an important email read to you, or you need to let your significant other know you are running late, Dragon Mobile Assistant is there for you.
OfficeSuite Viewer 7 – Version 7.2.1276
- Improved support for right to left writing in Word for Hebrew and Arabic languages
- Digital keyboard for easier numbers input in ExcelGrid View in the File Explorer
- Printing to HP printers (requires HP ePrint)
The ability to open Word and Excel documents while on the go can be an unpleasant experience. OfficeSuite Viewer is the just app to make this process less frustrating. OfficeSuite allows you to open Word, Excel and Powerpoint documents as well as many other file types.
Press (RSS Reader) - Version 1.3.2
- Added Feedly Cloud support
- Fixed Feedbin read articles syncing issue
- Fixed Feed Wrangler timestamp issue (manually sign back in to reset)
- Fixed several crashes
Google Reader is set to turn off in a couple of weeks, and if you still need to find a good alternative, take a look at Press. The recent update now allows you to sync with the new Feedly Cloud service.