Move over Pebble, the leader in smartwatch technology is back with a new device and the market power to dominate the space. The Sony Smartwatch 2 has officially been unveiled, sporting a new design, new interface and a cornucopia of new features. Specs include a 1.6-inch (220 x 176) touch display, NFC for easy pairing with your Android phone, Bluetooth 3.0 wrapped inside a dust and water resistant (IP57) aluminum body with a design reminiscent of the Sony Xperia Z. Sony will also include a stainless steel wrist band with the Smartwatch 2, but users will be able to personalize the device with any standard 24mm strap.
Similar to last year’s device, the Sony Smartwatch 2 allows users to receive notifications, answer calls, control music, track their workout and even read synced emails and notifications when the device is not connected to a phone. The user interface has received a face lift that mimics many of the familiar elements found in Android. Sony claims the Smartwatch 2 features the “longest battery life for a smartwatch,” which translates to 4 days of moderate use or 7 days for those who simply use the device as a standard watch.
Pricing for the device has not yet been announced, but the Sony Smartwatch 2 is currently scheduled for a global retail launch in September of this year.
Show Press Release
Introducing Sony SmartWatch 2 – the world’s first water-resistant smartwatch with NFC connectivity*
- A multi-functional message notification device, Android app interface and music remote, all in a sleek and water-resistant design
- Combines Sony’s technology and design expertise with one-touch connectivity and premium build quality
- Next-generation Sony SmartWatch offers improved performance, intuitive interface and standalone capability
- Reaffirms Sony’s leadership in smartwatch and wearable technology segment**
25th June 2013, Mobile Asia Expo, Shanghai —
Sony Mobile Communications (“Sony Mobile”) today introduces Sony SmartWatch 2 SW2, the most advanced smartwatch available*. Sony SmartWatch 2 is a second screen for your Android smartphone that, as well as enhancing existing phone functionality, offers unique new benefits. Combining form and function in a sleek design, it serves as a multi-functional watch, notifier, Android app interface and phone remote control, all-in-one.
Openness with Android
App expandability is key to Sony SmartWatch 2. It can be personalised with more dedicated apps than any other smartwatch* to seamlessly suit your needs, whether you are on the go, keeping active, in business meetings or simply at home. Download a host of SmartWatch apps and experience a range of unique functions – many of which can even be enjoyed without ever needing to reach for your phone:
- Handle your calls by a simple touch of your wrist
- Take a photo remotely from your SmartWatch, using a smart camera app
- Control your presentations remotely using Presentation Pal
- Taking a run or on the bike? Select a mapping app on SmartWatch to check your route with a quick glance at your wrist
- Read previously downloaded e-mails when not connected to your phone
- Use lifestyle apps like Runtastic to map and instantly track your fitness activities on the go
- Quickly and easily adjust the tracks and volume on your music player, without ever taking your phone from your pocket
SmartWatch 2 is also both sleek and reassuringly robust thanks to its water and dust resistant design, giving you the freedom to enjoy it on the beach or simply on the go — come rain or shine.
An increasing market in wearable tech
A typical smartphone user reaches for their phone many times a day to read messages, check the time, view and make social media updates, use their favourite apps, take photos, listen to music and play mobile games. SmartWatch 2 addresses this need by offering you a convenient touch screen device so you no longer need to remove your phone from your pocket or bag.
“Sony is the proud leader in the smartwatch market** since introducing our first Bluetooth watch in 2007,” says Stefan K Persson, Head of Companion Products at Sony Mobile Communications.
“Competitors are only now launching first generation devices, while we are already launching a 3rd generation device with all the insight gained from over half a
million customers combined with Sony’s wealth of technology expertise to create the best ever smartwatch experience.
“The future of wearable devices is incredibly bright with analyst research predicting 41 million ‘smart’ watches will be sold by 2016,” continues Persson. “We have over 200 unique apps dedicated for Sony SmartWatch with over one million downloads to date and we are continuing to work with our strong developer network to deliver ever more compelling smartwatch experiences.”
The best of Sony in a SmartWatch
If you use Android, on either smartphone or tablet, Sony SmartWatch 2 is your ideal smartwatch partner.
It’s easy and convenient to access notifications from your wrist such as messages, calls, email, Facebookâ„¢/Twitterâ„¢, Calendar, or use it as a remote for your Walkmanâ„¢ or other digital media player. This wireless accessory is ideal for pairing with large-screen devices, such as the newly announced Xperiaâ„¢ Z Ultra, in situations which call for discrete usage.
SmartWatch 2 introduces new features as a natural successor to the current Sony SmartWatch such as NFC connectivity for one-touch pairing, stunning premium design and a range of technologies including higher resolution for sharper viewing, better visibility even in sunlight, longer battery stamina, more intuitive interface, standalone watch functionality and a wide range of pre-installed and recommended apps.
When not connected to your phone, SmartWatch 2 works as a standalone digital watch. Read previously received notifications, access the time, set your alarm or even use as a light when searching for your keys.
SmartWatch 2 can also be personalised with any standard 24mm wristband and new Sony watchstraps will soon be available for further expression of your personal style. Using groundbreaking design, Sony continues to introduce new technologies and has the largest range of NFC accessories available from wireless headsets to portable speakers, TVs, SmartTags and SmartWatch.
Key features for Sony SmartWatch 2
- Screen brightness (sunlight readable)
- Longest battery life for a smartwatch* (battery level indicator shows low battery warning)
- Water-resistant (IP57)
- Easy setup (NFC pairing and connecting)
- Standalone watch functionality
- Standard micro USB cable for charging
- User interface similar to Android UI so it is more intuitive
- Bigger screen with higher resolution (1.6 inch, 220 x 176 pixels)
- High quality materials (aluminium body and stainless steel wristband)
- Extended compatibility (works with most Android phones)
- Swappable wristbands — personalise with any standard 24mm strap
Sony SmartWatch 2 SW2 will be available worldwide from September 2013.