Jul 24 AT 2:31 PM Dima Aryeh 27 Comments

How does the new Nexus 7 stack up to the competition?

nexus-7-refresh

The new Nexus 7 was announced today, and it looks fantastic. With a 1080p display in a small 7-inch form factor and a quad core Snapdragon S4 Pro, it looks to be an amazing tablet. And priced at a meager $230, it’s incredibly cheap. We can’t wait to get our hands on it, but for now, we can’t help but wonder how it compares to the tablets currently available on the market.

Capture

Here is a comparison between the new Nexus 7, the old Nexus 7, and the current Galaxy Note 8.0. The Note was thrown in because it’s a somewhat high end tablet with a high end price. It just goes to show that price doesn’t mean everything, because the Nexus 7 seems to have an advantage in almost every area.

Looking at the spec-to-price ratio, and keeping in mind the class leading display, what do you think of the new Nexus 7? Is it worth upgrading from the old one? Is there a better tablet currently on the market? Leave a comment with your thoughts!

• halo0

• http://www.androidandme.com Dima Aryeh

Arguable. I gave my Nexus 7 to my father. It still could very well be worth buying.

• Arthur

The price although $30 more than last years Nexus compared to the competition is still a very good price.

For those who didn’t buy last years model (like myself), the new Nexus 7 is a no-brainer if your wanting a 7″ Android Tablet.

• http://aboyandhistv.blogspot.com mvndaai

My one question, does the audio port include microphone capabilities. The old one doesn’t which makes it not able to use Square or other things.

• http://aboyandhistv.blogspot.com mvndaai

• http://www.androidandme.com Dima Aryeh

They claim that the battery will last an hour longer

• http://www.jeffkibuule.com Jeff

Smaller battery, but still better battery life (1 more hour of video).

• Jillxz

It still has the wide bezel and the unattractive design. looks too narrow in portrait mode. Still won’t buy this as it looks more like a phablet than a tablet . The Nexus ten is just as unattractive too. Wide bezels and unattractive design. I’ll take the Amazon Fire HD 8 inch for a small tablet and the xperia z for a 10 inch tablet. No Nexus of any kind for me.

• JW

Have you ever held a Nexus 7 and compared it to the way products with similar dimensions feels? That bezel is needed. It makes it much more comfortable in the hand. I understand why people like less bezel on a phone, but the bezel is needed on a tablet around the 7″ mark. It makes it so much more easy to operate and hold.

• darethehair

GPS on the new Nexus 7? I very much hope and expect so, otherwise I would be extremely disappointed!

• HolySmokesBatty

It would be ridiculous to even consider this wouldn’t come with GPS being as it comes with Maps prepackaged AND has the option for LTE connectivity, which would make for a ridiculous Navigation system.

It would be idiotic to push Google Maps on a device that can’t properly utilize it.

• Bo

Wish the bezel wasn’t so big. I guess it will help for one-handed-video watching though….

• Gnat

Easier to hold in landscape for watching movies.

• Will

I see what you did there.. :P

• Des

The reason I don’t go for this tablet is the lack of sdcard slot. It is very important for me to have this for my kids. So, no wont be getting it.

• Andrew

32gb isn’t enough room to store all of your kids?

• redraider133

• Paul Manning

Almost better in every category than the Gnote 8? Hmmm. Selective vision I think. For the price its a great device but lets keep it real eh?

• hurracayne

I have pod cast on it, I put movies on it, but hell if you think you are going to watch more than 2 movies in one seating your crazy because the battery would be dead real soon.

• jamal adam

• calmness

Really like the specs, but waiting to check it out locally to see how it feels when trying it out.

Also, waiting to verify it doesn’t have the same OTG issues as the Nexus 4.

That said, I think I’m going to get one. Woot!

• donger

Nexus 7 FTW.

• Luca

is the new nexus able to phone call as the galaxy note 8 does ?

(yes I use my old galaxy tab 7 to make/receive phone calls, I don’t like to carry both a tablet and a phone and I ‘m looking for a new tablet with phone capabilities)

Thanks,
    Luca.

• Paul Atreides

I was hoping for a bigger battery and a lot less bezel(wonder how retractable bezels would work on a tablet), but it’s a justifiable upgrade I do believe. I’m not excited enough to be an early adopter though.

• TAN5150

• Klemen

HDHmm….all is good but what about ASUS memopad HD?

• Ron B

I just popped my simcard in my Nexus 7 LTE today and now I’m experiencing FREE mobile service on my new tablet, this is awesome. It’s cool having 2 FREE mobile simcards, one for my Nexus 7 and one for my cellphone (since I haven’t learned how to make voice calls from my Nexus 7 yet – somebody help me). There’s no reason to PAY for mobile service anymore. There’s no reason to be disgruntled (as I once was) and get ripped off by greedy service providers anymore. Simply visit solavei.com/rbtelecom and drop me a line and make the switch. Get IN, Get SOCIAL and Get FREE everbody! Enjoy!

1. Whether it’s worth upgrading is going to depend on how much you can sell the old one for.

2. ArthurGuest 2 years ago

3. I love my old Nexus 7, so I kind of want the new one. I am excited for the back camera, so I can actually use barcode scanner apps and take pictures.

4. I am kind of sad about the smaller battery life. I love that my Nexus last forever.

5. JillxzGuest 2 years ago

• JWGuest 2 years ago

6. darethehairGuest 2 years ago

• HolySmokesBattyGuest 2 years ago

7. BoGuest 2 years ago

• GnatGuest 2 years ago

Easier to hold in landscape for watching movies.

• WillGuest 2 years ago

I see what you did there.. :P

8. DesGuest 2 years ago

• AndrewGuest 2 years ago

32gb isn’t enough room to store all of your kids?

9. I think the increased screen resolution makes it a buy in itself. Hopefully it doesn’t have the slowdowns like the original nexus 7 had after being updated.

10. Paul ManningGuest 2 years ago

11. I don’t get this 32gig is not enough space. I have 40 albums loaded on my N732 gig. I have 54 apps including several large games like RR3, TDKR, Asphalt 7, Sygic Maps to RavenSword2 and I have still have 9 gig of space left.

12. There has been talk about the bezel being too big and what not but if you look at it, it’s just the same size as the OG Nexus 7′s but since the new one has smaller side bezels the proportions make it seem big. I really like this new Nexus 7 and feel that it stacks up better than ever other tablet in its class.

• Hope you are right about the bezel. (Didn’t like the previous Nexus 7 dimensions, until a zippy case solved some use problems.)

Also, waiting to verify it doesn’t have the same OTG issues as the Nexus 4.

That said, I think I’m going to get one. Woot!

13. Nexus 7 FTW.

14. LucaGuest 2 years ago

is the new nexus able to phone call as the galaxy note 8 does ?

Thanks,
    Luca.

15. Paul AtreidesGuest 2 years ago

16. Take a look on Mac Rumors site, nearly half of the fan boys want the Nexus 7. Lots of complaining the iPad mini is way behind on tech in comparison.

17. KlemenGuest 2 years ago

HDHmm….all is good but what about ASUS memopad HD?

18. Ron BGuest 2 years ago