Jul 18 AT 12:32 PM Nick Gray 19 Comments

Spec Showdown: HTC One mini vs. Samsung Galaxy S4 mini

htc-one-mini-versus-samsung-galaxy-s4-mini

Now that the HTC One mini has finally been unveiled, we thought it would be a good idea to see how the device fares when it goes head-to-head with its main competitor, the Samsung Galaxy S4 mini. Comparing specs between the HTC One mini and Samsung Galaxy S4 mini does show us how the two devices are different, but each handset has a few distinctive advantages over the other.

The HTC One mini comes equipped with a higher resolution 720p display and more internal storage, while the Samsung Galaxy S4 mini has the benefits of NFC, an IR blaster, removable battery and expandable storage. The success of the two devices will depend greatly on how any service providers choose to add the phones to their already crowded smartphone lineups and how much money HTC and Samsung are willing to invest to promote them.

Which mid-range mini phone do you think is the better option?

htc-one-mini-specs

• http://www.jaxidian.org/update/ jaxidian

• sh12345

I wouldn’t touch this phone because of two reasons:

1. 1gb ram is not enough for games and apps to scale at 720p which will lead to slowdown and lags.Never ever buy android phones unless and until it has 2gb ram especially for 720p.

2. 16gb for 720p is a joke. I have keep on deleting games and apps after filling up the phone.

Galaxy s4 mini is clearly the winner because of qhd. Games at qhd will be awesome because of 1.5gb ram

• Derek

• http://droidsamurai.blogspot.com DroidSamurai

• http://www.infotainmentempire.com pekosROB

• http://htcsource.com Nick Gray

• http://www.infotainmentempire.com pekosROB

• http://www.androidandme.com Dima Aryeh

• surg3d

• mattcoz

• RogueC99

• Louie

As long as I don’t have to turn it on and use it, I vote HTC. Android, eesh.

• scubabum

With all things considered (fast CPU, SD-slot, bigger battery), I would pick the S4 mini over the HTC One mini.

• 5n4r35

Interesting…4.3 inch display is “mini”…..

• donger

HTC>Samsung all day.

• Dinesh1211

among both HTC one has very instering features and onces again samsung S4 mini this proved it’s level therefore 1gb RAM is not enough while playing games

i.e; my conclusion is S4 mini is good features phone

• John Patrick

While the 720p display is a plus for the One mini along with 16GB of internal storage vs. the 8GB internal storage on the S4 mini, IMO the One mini fails for only offering a 16GB, but no 32GB version. You know the One mini will likely only offer 11 or 12 GB of user available storage which sucks considering the One mini ships with Boomsound speakers and untrapixel camera suggesting great multimedia capabilities but crippled by lack of storage. It’s the One XL all over again.

The S4 mini sucks for only offering 8 GB of storage which will probably be around 4 GB of user available storage (which sucks more) but I’d put money on it arriving with apps-to-SD already installed. Add the capability of up to 64 GB of SD storage. to the ability to replace the battery, which you’ll need to when it stops fully charging, and the S4 mini wins.

• MrTrantastic

I’m actually suprised on how much I appriciate the front face speakers with all my youtubing and using netflix. Something to strongly consider if deciding between the two.

• Aiwin Paul

s4 mini is better as it shows great performance but the lacking otg support is a shame

1. Interesting. The S4 Mini is clearly more powerful w/ regards to CPU/RAM but not by much and some of the other differences lean in the One Mini’s favor. In the end, I think the specs are close enough that personal preference should decide!

2. sh12345Guest 2 years ago

I wouldn’t touch this phone because of two reasons:

• You’re totally wrong. I had the HTC Rezound, it had 1GB RAM and a 720p display (probably the same display thats in this HTM One Mini) and 16GB of storage. It ran perfectly fine on a Snapdragon S3 processor. Stop spreading silly rumors.

• I do agree with you that a 720p device with 1Gb of RAM is not necessarily problematic. But I do think that having 1GB of RAM alone (regardless of whether being a 720p device or not) is a problem. I witness my Galaxy Nexus getting slower and slower since the first day I owned it. I don’t believe the resolution of the phone is the cause of the problem, but I do think that the system and apps today demand more than 1Gb of RAM.

3. Interesting that both full size and mini variants have the HTC processors clocked a little lower but using the same processors. Anyone have any insight to this? Heat dissipation in metal vs plastic or what? Surprised at the 1 GB of RAM. Would get a full-size One over this between the two. I would probably choose the mini One over the mini S4 though.

• I think HTC’s decision to under-clock the processors has more to do with conserving battery life than handset heat.

• If only the One came to Verizon when it did to all of the other carriers. I would have bought it then. Now I feel like I need to hold out, among other reasons (mainly having to pay full retail for a phone).

4. It looks like the Galaxy S 4 mini is significantly more “mini” than the HTC One mini. For the One mini, 1GB of RAM is a significant bottleneck by today’s standards. 32GB of memory excuses the lack of a microSD slot, 16GB doesn’t. However, the 720p display and Ultrapixel camera do make up for it. The Galaxy S 4 mini has a bigger battery though, and a faster processor. qHD may be hard to swallow though. It’s a good race, surprisingly!

5. One of the most frustrating experiences in life is trying to watch a youtube video with low-volume speakers on the back of the device. I think specs are close enough that this feature alone tips the scales toward the HTC for me.

6. Will be really interesting to see a comparison when the Moto X is fully revealed, I’m thinking it will end up being the king of the 4.3″ phone space.

7. I’d just like to say, I recently bought a Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini and although the specs aren’t as good on paper, it certainly out powers the iPhone, and is almost on par with the S4 (in my opinion). I obviously can’t speak for the One Mini, but if I was going on sheer speed, I would certainly choose the S4 Mini.

8. LouieGuest 2 years ago

As long as I don’t have to turn it on and use it, I vote HTC. Android, eesh.

9. Very interesting comparison. I didn’t realize that the display of S4 mini is 540×960.

10. 5n4r35Guest 2 years ago

Interesting…4.3 inch display is “mini”…..

11. HTC>Samsung all day.