Aug 02 AT 9:18 AM Nick Sarafolean 23 Comments

T-Mobile won’t stock the Moto X, but it will work on their network

moto x featured

With all the news surrounding the Moto X yesterday, you’re probably ready for a break. Unfortunately, there’s another piece of information to deliver. This comes in regards to carrier availability, which was a bit of a foggy spot during yesterday’s announcement. We know that AT&T currently has an exclusive (can we stop with these already?) on customization and that Sprint is offering its unlimited guarantee with the phone. Verizon has confirmed that it will offer the phone and that it will later gain access to customization options. But what about T-Mobile?

Nobody really knew what was happening with T-Mobile. We received statement that the Moto X is compatible with T-Mobile’s network, but that was all. AllThingsD reached out to T-Mobile for comment and got this response:

The Moto X optimized for T-Mobile’s 4G LTE network will initially be available through Motorola’s channels. We do not plan to stock Moto X devices immediately in our stores, but are working closely with Motorola to make the Moto X a great experience for T-Mobile customers. Any news about distribution in our stores would come at a later date.Mike Sievert, Chief Marketing OfficerT-Mobile

It sounds like T-Mobile is a bit unsure of its plans for the Moto X. It’s even possible that Google is giving T-Mobile a hard time. Hopefully in the future, this issue will be resolved and the Moto X will become available to T-Mobile customers through the carrier. As for customization in general, we hope options come to every carrier as soon as possible. The whole exclusivity thing is entirely obnoxious.

Are you planning to buy a Moto X? How would you customize it?

Source: AllThingsD

A nerd at heart, Nick is an average person who has a passion for all things electronic. When not spending his time writing about the latest gadgets, Nick enjoys reading, dabbling in photography, and experimenting with anything and everything coffee. Should you wish to know more about him, you can follow him on Twitter @Zricon15.

• Richard Ahlquist

Wow that’s just great T-mobile, so is the your way of saying go JUMP in a lake? I am so glad I didn’t sign up for the jump plan hoping to get this device as an upgrade.

• Pedro J. Baez-Rivera

For the JUMP program you need 6 months before upgrading so if you signed when it was available you still need at least 5 more months before having an upgrade which this phone is probably going to be available by then or even better phones like the Note3 or the next Nexus.

What I’m trying to say is; you’re talking shit.

• William

Moto X a flop.

• William

Er I meant to say Locked bootloader *** whoops. Can’t edit my post.

• Milind

No SD Card, Sealed battery. 2012 specs. High end price. But wait, we can change the color. Normally it’s the iPhone these days that can’t live up to the hype. Moto should never have hyped the phone so much if they were going to come out with this rubbish combination of features and price.

• OnIn2

Moto X will be the best phone no one buys

• Vance

• boone simpson

The moto X looks to be a huge mis-step.

It does nothing that the Droid Ultra line doesn’t do (save the customization angle, which only ATT has) and both the X and Ultra’s lack microSD and no HDMI (which bones any user how has any docks/webtop goodies including their “universal” line of docks.) so while I love the idea of the X8 chip, and want to play with the software features…I will likely wait to see what comes down the pipe.

Honestly, if the droid ultra maxx had hdmi/microsd I’d buy it right now (huge battery and qi charging is awesome) but it looks like MOTO is not looking to support their last 2 rounds of customers, the very customers that have upgrades coming in the very near future.

• bryan lilje

No thanks..Moto is going to fail..especially since they made the big thing about this phone “customizations” only exclusive to att for a couple months they should know better..I’ll wait for the next Nexus!!

• www.phonewbie.com

• http://androidandme.com Taylor Wimberly

• Jimmy_Jo

• Milind

What THE feature? It’s some stupid engraving and color options on phones that will get covered up by cases by many users. When they first talked (hyped) the customizations, I was so excited. I thought I could add SD Cards, select a size, display RAM, storage options – ala buying a Windows PC from Dell. The whole phone has been a let down with every revelation. First the specs, then the customization, then the price.

• http://androidandme.com Taylor Wimberly

This sounds like an unlocked version of the Moto X. Hope is comes soon.

• Arthur

Just wait for the Play Store GPE X to be released if your plan is to buy the phone off contract but if you so want to get it on Tmo with their payment plan than you might be waiting a while.

• jeshep

• MrMrMan

Most likely T-Mobile is trying to fill the phone with bloatware.

• Manny Contino

As opposed to Verizon stuffing NFL apps down our throat? At least I might *watch* T-Mobile TV. Verizon’s insistence on larding Android with crapware ruined the Galaxy Nexus. Name one thing that TMO has done that has been remotely as egregious an offense.

• AnthonyRyan

• Scott Wilhelm

Tmo currently has a $0 down offer for all major devices….sounds to me like this will launch before the end of that promotion and tmo just isn’t willing to give customers this one for $0 down so they gave us all the finger instead….awesome.

Things started out so great, and before the announcement when everything was just rumored, I recommended this phone to everyone I know who’s either shopping or due for an upgrade soon. In the last 24 hours I’ve contacted every single one of them and retracted my recommendation. I’d rather suffer the embarrassment of telling them all I was wrong because my recommendation was based on rumor than have them all go out to buy it and realize it’s nothing like it’s cracked up to be.

Google is spending $5million to advertise THIS?!?!?!?! Honestly, they would have been FAR better off dumping that money into advertising the Nexus 4 and making sure production kept up with demand. The MX specs are abysmal, the exclusive customizing goes to at&t, it’s not sold outside the US, and now tmo flat out won’t have it. Wow. Whoever made these decisions at Motorola should be fired on the spot, because they just took what was poised to be the most anticipated phone of the year and crapped all over it.

• alexanderharri3

• donger

It’ll be tough to sell a phone when you can customize it next door at AT&T.

• Jimmy_Jo

1. Richard AhlquistGuest 2 years ago

• Pedro J. Baez-RiveraGuest 2 years ago

What I’m trying to say is; you’re talking shit.

2. Unlocked bootloader, 720p, duo-core. No sale. Pass. Onto the LG G2 and Nexus 5 hype.

Moto X a flop.

• Er I meant to say Locked bootloader *** whoops. Can’t edit my post.

• MilindGuest 2 years ago

3. Moto X will be the best phone no one buys

4. Sounds to me like tmo is positioning themselves to take advantage of play store hardware sales. Support all devices on your network, provide cheap plans with no contract, and pick and choose the hardware for which you want to offer subsidization. This is smart since Moto X is over priced for carrier subsidy at $199. They won’t be stuck taking a loss on a warehouse full of over priced phones they can’t move.

5. boone simpsonGuest 2 years ago

The moto X looks to be a huge mis-step.

6. bryan liljeGuest 2 years ago

7. I don’t usually like to use offensive words, especially when commenting on something trivial like a phone. However, giving At&t exclusivity on THE feature that may possibly draw in a lot of customers is just DUMB, STUPID and unbelievable.

• I’m thinking they gave exclusive to AT&T because their new factory might not be at full capacity yet. Keeping it to one carrier limits the amount of orders coming in and it gives Moto time to work out any of the bugs. Think of it like a staged OTA update that gets pushed out slowly and expands to more people over time.

• Smart thinking. Though the pricing seems off to me. They need to realize you have to underprice until you’ve earned your stripes. Moto and HTC should start out at $150 subsidized. Samsung has the cloat to charge $200. You can’t sell a phone that seems like a cool Nexus variant for a high end price.

• MilindGuest 2 years ago

8. This sounds like an unlocked version of the Moto X. Hope is comes soon.

• ArthurGuest 2 years ago

• Just hope that the Play Store prices for the Moto X will be similar to Nexus 4 even though the carriers are charging premium phone prices. Considering that T-mobile currently sells the Nexus 4 at $432 (24 x $18) and I believe it was $199 initially while it was/is only $299 on the Play Store, there is some possibility of a price difference occurring.

9. Most likely T-Mobile is trying to fill the phone with bloatware.

• Manny ContinoGuest 2 years ago

10. well, i can cross off the moto x off of my list now, and keep my sights on the newer nexus. i defiantly won’t pay full price to use it on Tmo

11. Scott WilhelmGuest 2 years ago

12. This sounds like a similar approach (at least initially) as T-Mobile took with the Nexus devices. Let others sell ‘em, they’ll work here. (iPhones too)

13. It’ll be tough to sell a phone when you can customize it next door at AT&T.

14. When the Moto X comes out for T-Mobile it’s going to be $150 nad probably come in 3 colors and it’s really not going to be a big deal. I think it looks kind of cool but I can’t see why I’d give up a GS4 for it.