Aug 07 AT 4:12 PM Dustin Earley 23 Comments

Moto X launching on all four carriers August 23, AT&T Moto Maker exclusivity to end in November

moto x featured

Despite already being completely unveiled, reviewed, and advertised by Motorola for the last week now, we still don’t know when you’ll be able to buy a Moto X. Original rumors and behind closed doors conversations pointed towards a late August, early September release, but we’ve yet to hear anything official. According to a report out of Ad Age, that time frame is right on the money.

In a blog post on the magazine’s website, the Moto X has been given a solid August 23 release date on all four major carriers in the US — AT&T, Verizon, Sprint and T-Mobile. August 23 should sound familiar at this point; that date has already been rumored thanks to an internal Verizon inventory leak. Of special note concerning the four carriers, we’ve heard that T-Mobile won’t carry a Moto X variant in stores, so we’re not sure exactly what T-Mobile getting the device on the 23 means. As for the other carriers, it will be business as usual.

Also detailed by Ad Age is when other Moto X variants will get access to custom colors with Moto Maker. By “early November,” custom Moto X units should be available to everyone. AT&T must have scored a 90 day exclusive. Fortunately, it’ll be a customized, multi-colored Christmas for everyone. Unfortunately, the next iPhone (possibly two) should be released by then, and the next Nexus detailed as well. Is Moto Maker enough to make you hold out for the Moto X?

Via: DroidLife

Source: Ad Age

Dustin Earley: Tech enthusiast; avid gamer; all around jolly guy.

• Victor

I think that the 90-day exclusive period will kill this device. I want one, but I don’t want AT&T, 90 days from now, there will be a new iPhone, a new Nexus device, and probably a whole bunch of other top-notch phones. Unless, Moto has a new brand of Moto X coming ou in 90 days, the Moto X will be old news.

• Jack

I agree. The lack of Moto Maker for all carriers at launch will definitely hurt Motorola. I think customers outside of At&t will be disappointed they can not customize the phone as advertised and will either delay their purchase, or, if they cant wait, purchase a better equipped phone for the same price and color options. Motorola then runs the risk of people losing interest as they wait for Moto Maker and new phones are released later this year.

• stenzor

90 days is like 10 years in the tech world

• Co1e

unlocked+play store+Moto Maker=$

• Nate B.

• slimx30

• jerrbomb

• Alvin B.

Moto: Listen to your customers! End this “exclusive” nonsense! The whole reason you’re suffering is not because you haven’t made great phones. It is because you have made them exclusive to Verizon! Now you launch another phone, and take a payout to offer key features as an exclusive to AT&T. Quite this exclusive B.S. People DO NOT switch carriers for a single phone. Those days are long, long gone. People will buy a different phone instead. In this case, not a motorolla. STOP IT.

• jamal adam

November! Ain’t no one got time for that.

• R.S

How much money did AT&T give Motorola for the exclusivity?!

It better have been a heck of A LOT for them to have been dumb enough to screw themselves over.

This exclusivity is going to kill any momentum that the Moto X might have had.

• julian

Was interested until the 3 month wait. I’ll wait for the nexus 5

• Pravas

More Colors :D

• OnIn2

Yea…Cause when I’m dreaming of a new phone COLOR is the most important consideration

/endSarcasm

• mattcoz

• massimo

Funny, thats exactly what I was going to get, exceot, I have recently started to consider black or lime green accents.

• donger

Nexus 5!

• Paul Atreides

HTC One X all over again. If they had to do exclusives it should of been a few colors per carrier. A few of those cheesy looking colors and a couple of premium spread around.

• rustic

Any rumors on Nexus 5 device? Because if it is LG again with expected screen above 5 inch, then I don’t care.

• Michael

Droid-Life is saying that Motorola has been tapped for the Nexus 5. Officially back in February LG announced they were in negotiations for the Nexus 5.

Only two legitimate nexus 5 rumors than can be trusted. Google must really be controlling leaks on the Nexus 5 so the Moto X has a fighting chance, cause there has been almost Zero rumors about it.

• krouget

I’m actually fine with this (though not exactly happy about it). I wasn’t going to rush out and buy this phone, anyway, so it gives me time to hear about real-world reviews and evaluate dev support. It also means I get to wait and see what the Nexus 5 on 5.0 will look like, before upgrading from my VZW Galaxy Nexus.

I still think it’s a promising device and I’ve been patient for this long.

• http://pryvateid.tumblr.com pryvateid

November Nexus 5 ftw!

• grwww

This is another blunder by Google. It’s just silly to do any kind of exclusive this close to the iPhone release. It’s going to be hard for anyone to convince people to buy this device and switch the most unreliable (nation wide, my AT&T phone has very limited real usability. Most of the time, away from home, I’m having a hard time with data).

1. VictorGuest 2 years ago

• JackGuest 2 years ago

2. 90 days is like 10 years in the tech world

3. unlocked+play store+Moto Maker=$

4. Has to be one of the dumbest moves ever from a manufacturer. Seriously. One carrier alone will not get you anywhere in this mobile game. After being away for some time this is what they came up with? I personally don’t want the phone but for Android I like for it to be handled well with every new phone. I hate poor poor decisions. This is no different than companies coming out with several colors later. Make many colors ready from the jump and maybe just maybe certain colors on relevant holidays. Otherwise stop it. Nobody is gonna buy or many people will not buy it months later when it’s old news.

5. stupid ass move by moto making customization an exclusive to att. Even though it is a limited time that is one of the main selling points of this phone. This actually made my decision for me. It is either new nexus or htc one. May wait for the nexus though

6. You would think exclusivity would’ve been over with these days.. Especially in such a magnitude like this.. If your gonna release your phone on all carriers and market it the way you way you do.. Don’t giving the customization feature that your marketing to one carrier for a certain time and expect people to be okay with that… Bad move Moto.. Bad move…

7. Alvin B.Guest 2 years ago

8. November! Ain’t no one got time for that.

9. How much money did AT&T give Motorola for the exclusivity?!

This exclusivity is going to kill any momentum that the Moto X might have had.

10. julianGuest 2 years ago

Was interested until the 3 month wait. I’ll wait for the nexus 5

11. My contract with Sprint is up October 19th, so this isn’t so bad for me. I’ve waited this long with this phone, another month won’t kill me. I’d really like to get the navy version of this, with a black front and silver accents.

• massimoGuest 2 years ago

12. Paul AtreidesGuest 2 years ago

13. rusticGuest 2 years ago

• MichaelGuest 2 years ago

14. krougetGuest 2 years ago

I still think it’s a promising device and I’ve been patient for this long.

15. November Nexus 5 ftw!

16. grwwwGuest 2 years ago