Oct 04 AT 3:07 PM Dima Aryeh 23 Comments

Google smartwatch may launch this month alongside Android 4.4 KitKat

google logo generic

There has been almost no information on the Google smartwatch recently. It’s been shrouded in mystery with no sign of even existing. And while there is still absolutely no solid proof of the existence of this mythical smartwatch, a rumor has given an announcement date and the codename of the device.

The smarwatch is codenamed Gem, and according to this rumor, will be announced on October 31 along with the new version of Android, KitKat. The date is about a month old, so it could have changed (it’s likely, considering how much changes in the tech industry), but we might just see this smartwatch this month.

Other information states that the Google smartwatch could have begun life as a Motorola product called the xWATCh, which would have been released with the Moto X (or XFON). It looks like plans changed, and it was turned into a Google product. Hopefully we’ll see it come very soon, and hopefully it’s a lot more innovative than the current crop of smartwatches.

Source: +Artem Russakovskii, +Taylor Wimberly
Via: PocketNow

• mattcoz

Seems natural that we’ll be getting some candy on Halloween.

• nicotinemind

Now you saying that, makes me fear a US only product.

But I have my eye on this. Quite interested in the concept.

• Nürnberger Rostbratwürstl

smart watches, reminds me of 1999. They had tons of them at IFA and CeBit. They were huge flops even in Japan. And there was the one from swatch, which was a a flop as well. Why would anyone want to buy this if he can get a smartphone?

• nicotinemind

• Nate B.

• Alexander drzfr3shboialex

• khaleader

welcome in our blog you can find good Pro android apps and games here
    thanks

• www.phonewbie.com

• vforvortex

• aranea

• SGB101

The Q and also chromcast, came out the blue.

• boone simpson

the chromecast had leaks about a month or two before it was announced, back then, it was rumored to mostly for tab casting and catered to presentations, and called the “chrome key”

• jamal adam

• SGB101

Could be one big trick ;o)

• vforvortex

• James Roots

Smart-watches seem like a niche product. Unless Google and Apple do something amazing both their products will fade away like Motoactiv. Which I bought, but never used.

• PaulieG

Isn’t it a little ironic that part of the popularity of smart phones has been evolution of convergence wrapping a multitude of single peripheral devices into 1 functional unit. Gps, mp3,PDA etc etc. Now we see this converged unit being split back out into a multitude of peripherals again?!.. I don’t get it…

• ihatefanboys

• EpicTea

agreed the only thing samsung smartphone are good for is for flashing stock android roms, removable backs and expandable storage, but more phones and tablet are starting to ship with a standard 32gb entry level which is mroe than enough for me.

• kinkate18nic

• hrasda

Here are some concept pictures and more info on the new Nexus Watch (which is how it will be called) Source: http://www.amongtech.com/google-to-reveal-smartwatch-codename-gem-on-october-31st/

• EpicTea

YES! Do it google do it!

This would be awesome I have no doubt this would be 10x better than Samsung and knowing google it will be 1/2 the price!

I will definitely be buying the Nexus 7 the Nexus 5 and the Nexus Smartwatch this Holiday Season!

• donger

Perfect Christmas present.

1. Seems natural that we’ll be getting some candy on Halloween.

• Now you saying that, makes me fear a US only product.

But I have my eye on this. Quite interested in the concept.

• Nürnberger RostbratwürstlGuest 2 years ago

• Work with my hands, have had situations when I’ve wanted a smartwatch. Make it good design, nice features and affordable, will take a good look at it.

2. If that is true, then I was hoping KitKat would be shown off earlier. But like the post above mentions, natural to get candy on Halloween. Sounds good to me.

3. Hopefully it’s cheap to match the nexus 5. I love high end specs with low end price :D. Lets see my birthday is the 15th and the nexus 5, as well as the nexus smartwatch will launch at the end of October(rumor) and then the ps4 November 15th! Awesome way to end 2013.

4. khaleaderGuest 2 years ago

welcome in our blog you can find good Pro android apps and games here
    thanks

5. Ok Google, how much will you charge for the Nexus 5 and Nexus Watch? “The Nexus 5 and the Nexus Watch can be purchased from the Play Store together for $500!”

6. No rumors two weeks prior to launch means its not happening. But on the other hand, no on e new about chromecast. So i guess i take back my first statement. :)

• I don’t think there were rumors on Q too. So I wouldn’t be surprised. If google can do a good job they’ll have my money. But if they go with the samsung trend and make one with lcd I’ll probably skip it. Why don’t big companies look at pebble and take some clues?

• The Q and also chromcast, came out the blue.

• boone simpsonGuest 2 years ago

7. Sounds like we’re going to have quite the holiday season. Trick or Treat? Tons of treats for us.

8. So last year Google event was scheduled for 10/28 but cancelled due to Hurricane Sandy. then the nexus 4 was released on google play 2 weeks later on Nov 13th. So are we expecting same schedule or is the rumor stating event in mid october with a end of month release?

9. James RootsGuest 2 years ago

10. PaulieGGuest 2 years ago

11. I hope its awesome as most pure Google products are. Anything is better than the crop of peripheral devices Samsung has out that are only compatible with Samsung products. Im sure Googles will be compatible with all. Cant wait !

• EpicTeaGuest 2 years ago

12. Hope this wont be something like hurry burry product launched by Samsung Gear.. nothing really exciting in that..

13. hrasdaGuest 2 years ago

14. EpicTeaGuest 2 years ago

YES! Do it google do it!

15. Perfect Christmas present.