Dec 23 AT 12:11 PM Alex Wagner 72 Comments

Sony rolling Android 4.3 updates out to Xperia Z, ZL, ZR and Tablet Z

sonyxperiazaam

Hot on the heels of the Xperia Z1 and Xperia Z Ultra’s updates to Android 4.3, Sony announced today that it has begun rolling the freshest version of Jelly Bean out to even more of its Xperia handsets. The latest batch of update recipients includes the Xperia Z, the Xperia ZL, the Xperia ZR and the Xperia Tablet Z.

Just as with the Xperia Z1 and Z Ultra, the Android 4.3 update for this Xperia quartet includes Sony’s Smart Social Camera, which offers special camera apps like the ability to stream live video to Facebook as well as Timeshift Burst, an app that can snap 61 photos in 2 seconds. Also included with the updates are refreshed versions of all of Sony’s native apps, including Messaging, MyXperia, Small Apps and its WALKMAN, Album and Movies entertainment apps. The final app update is for the Battery STAMINA Mode, which has received an updated interface and more options for extending battery life.

Sony says that it’s also added its new Xperia Themes custom user interface experience with this batch of updates. The company isn’t saying much about Xperia Themes quite yet, only revealing that it’ll allow users to download UI packs through the Sony Select app, but it promises that more details will be released soon.

As with most over the air updates, Sony says that availability of the Android 4.3 bump for the Xperia Z and its friends will vary by location and carrier. Still, it’s good to know that the Android 4.3 rollout for these four devices is getting underway. It’s also worth noting that the Xperia Z, ZL, and Tablet Z have updates to Android 4.4 coming their way as well. There’s no word yet on when those updates are expected to arrive, but hey, at least owners of those devices are now receiving a bump up to Android 4.3 that ought to help make the wait for KitKat go by a little quicker.

Source: Sony

Editorial Director of News and Content for PhoneDog Media. Fluent in whisk(e)y, video games and phones. Can be followed on Twitter at @alw.

• ali sbaity

you’ve annoinced earlier that xperia Sp will be recieving this update too
    where is it????

• Ken Masters

Awesome :) Ive had the unofficial release for a few days and have to say.. its was actually worth the wait! Lots of new animations, the new themes, new camera UI, its a substantial update. GREAT job Sony.

• Jayd

If by “Freshest Version of Jellybean” you actually meant “The stale taste of an obsolete version” then carry on.

It’s incredibly weird that Sony would do this and leave 4.4 – a major upgrade to this 4.3 release – in the doldrums.

• Amiqul

still waiting for my release in uk.
    got a sim free xperia z c6603.

any idea when it releases in uk?

• Shyam Mehta

Try using Sony pc companion it works through that i just did it.

• Ismail

I’m using Xperia ZR so 4.3 available now India please reply anyone if anyone updated..

• bjorn

xperia z C6602 still waiting in the nederlands. Sony are very slow with the update

• Level380

Any news if you can now enable moving apps to SD card? The huge ROM and lack of internal space is a problem for some of us!

• Pedro Pereira

c6603 in Portugal. Not updated yet…

• Luis

In Latin America xperia zl in wait

• Cuba

Still waiting for my Xperia Z C6066 update

• Simon

Xperia ZL C6505 in canada

Still waitting..

• unknown

Xperia z C6603 in Aus, not updated yet

• Prefte

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

• Sannie

Still waiting in shit for this so called update “South Africa”

• CMTS

Same here, Friend of mine with a Z1 that got the update, but my other friend with the Z and me with a Tablet Z didn’t get anything yet…..(South Africa slow as ever)

• Wynand Marais

I have the Tablet Z as well, still waiting for the update. opted for the unofficial release of 4.3 (803mb download) at 81 % I realised its the indian version. Now I’m opting to root the god damn device. Again my 321 version somehow can not be easily rooted. ffs Why the F@k is S.A always last on the fkn map with everything!

• lloyd

Here in KSA, still waiting with my xperia zl

• Azar

Still waiting with simless tablet z sgp321 :/

• Mohankumar

I/We are eagerly waiting to get the latest zl Experia as a free gift from your esteemed firm at the earliest.

• Dzu

Xperia z 4.3 …Received in India!! yaaaay!!

• Hemant Kumar Sharma

Eagerly waiting for update 4.3 for my ZR in delhi

• Vignesh Jayabal

Not released in India yet!

• Chucho

He aqi desde TOlucA Mexico
    Y ya por fin…estoy qedandome dormido
    8:21 am y nada de nada

• sanvariya meena

very nice yar .

• paul

Hey there,can you give me an estimated time for when we can expect android4.3 for xperia z in south africa.its the c6603.

• bon

Japanese xperia tablet z in USA still not updated

• Anup

Xperia Z C6602 , n still waiting for the 4.3 update…Wtf sony is so slow in updates. Smasung and HTC are always ready with the updates as soon as google does for nexus devices..
    This way sony will not be able to climb up the smartphone ladder..
    Even though they make good smartphones.

• nkw

Yeah, I just tried pc companion, after I update my phone, it’s just like master reset and the android version still 4.2.2.

• WellSony

Cant restart tablet after upgrade.

• donger
  • IGNACIO

12/25 23:05 hs Xperia Z C6603 in Argentina, not updated yet.
    Still waiting…

• nerohero

Still no update for the unlocked Z1 in the UK, ffs poor show Sony

• updesh bhadoriya

Xperia z Still waitng for its update in india..!:(

• Sannie
  • Tolulope

waiting for my Xperia ZR also in Nigeria

• Sannie

I don’t Fucken bother, wide open mouth talking shit about the damn update, Fucken Dick holes am pissed off, surely Sony should be hanged on their gonnads for publishing crapy.

• broomie

Am still waiting for the update in ZSA…I hope it’s worth the wait…!!!

• chadas

hey coming to u from South Africa…Xperia z, still waiting for the update it irratating that we have to wait for the update

• joshp

Wow. The Z feels good with the 4.3. Just rec’d the update in the UK

• Ismail

I’m using Xperia ZR so 4.3 available now India? please reply anyone if anyone updated..

• HARDI

Isit out in South Africa? cant seem to update either Xperia Z or Tablet Z?

• Yu Sheng

Why my Xperia ZR until now also don’t have the upgrade android message? I also when to update software there at setting but still don’t have the upgrade android notification. Can anyone help me?

• deonvs

I got the 4.3 update on my z1 3 days ago, dont install it yet, I have to reboot my phone about 10 times a day now, is it possible to go back to 4.2? 4.2 was flawless on this phone, they even dropped the phone keypad away, only qwerty on 4.3, ant it is glitchy as hell

• Hamish

1. Phone crashes when using camera now, almost every time.
    2. Having to reboot my phone all the time, and now it won’t stay on, somtimes switches off for no reason
    3. Phone carrier dropping in and out

Going back to 4.2.2 until issues resolved

• Prakhu

Facing same problem.. :(

• sheriff

How do i go back to the 4.2.2 version please???? Having the same problems….going back to the older version seems to be the best option…

• Lopey

Mine is doing the same thing. How did you fix this?

• pam

I just got 4.3 on my xperia z c6616 on bell canada today good job sony

• jrw14gbr

I was running 4.2 on an Xperia Z. All OK until it went away for a hardware fault repair.

The repair guys upgraded to shiney new 4.3 but now it won’t read the back up file made under 4.2 so can’t restore anything – no apps, data, media

Sony support useless. Anyone know of a workaround?

• joknus

Indonesia. I have 2 xperia z, but only one Can update 4.2 why??!

• varun

dude did you got Social Live Camera with the update…

• Moin

upgraded zr to 4.3 on the second day itself but there are few things that are missing from arlier version such as small app, touch block as well as social live camera which was claimed by the sony…anybody else in India can update about their status plz???

• Prakhu

My ZL crashes frequently.. Hung up in screen lock thrice a day.. Sad update from sony..

• Mark

Don’t be too hasty. I’m in Australia, got 4.3 on both my Xperia Z1 (a few days ago) and Tablet Z (this morning). No problems with the Z1, but Sony have really made a mess with the Tablet Z update. Lag, random restarts, apps crashing. Not at all happy.

• Prakhu

Got 4.3 fir my ZL in INDIA.4.3 UI is awesome. But very unstable. Phone auto reboot frequently,lock screen hangs up. No ISO setting in genuine camera app. Plzz wait for 4.4 do not update this update just for better UI.

• Varun

Thanks for providing nice article on Sony rolling Android 4.3 updates out to Xperia Z, ZL, ZR and Tablet Z. You can visit http://www.blogercup.com/root-sony-xperia-z-devices-oneclick/

• Sannie

Whooo sorry for this but sony South Africa you’re just as good as shit for nothing, coz right now we stuck with this 4.2.2 yet others are looking forward to 4.4 kit kat. I’m no more inerested in Sony fuck Sony S.A and fuck their devices.

• Martin towers

Since I had this update 4.3 my battery life is very very short I send 6 texts and it uses 63% of battery and also the phone gets very hot even when in standby please get this sorted sony as I really like my xperia z and would like to stay with Sony and not detect to samsung.
    Thank you.

1. ali sbaityGuest 1 year ago

you’ve annoinced earlier that xperia Sp will be recieving this update too
    where is it????

2. Ken MastersGuest 1 year ago

3. JaydGuest 1 year ago

4. AmiqulGuest 1 year ago

still waiting for my release in uk.
    got a sim free xperia z c6603.

any idea when it releases in uk?

5. bjornGuest 1 year ago

6. Level380Guest 1 year ago

7. Pedro PereiraGuest 1 year ago

c6603 in Portugal. Not updated yet…

8. LuisGuest 1 year ago

In Latin America xperia zl in wait

9. CubaGuest 1 year ago

Still waiting for my Xperia Z C6066 update

10. SimonGuest 1 year ago

Xperia ZL C6505 in canada

Still waitting..

11. unknownGuest 1 year ago

Xperia z C6603 in Aus, not updated yet

12. Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

13. SannieGuest 1 year ago

Still waiting in shit for this so called update “South Africa”

• CMTSGuest 1 year ago

• Wynand MaraisGuest 1 year ago

14. lloydGuest 1 year ago

Here in KSA, still waiting with my xperia zl

15. AzarGuest 1 year ago

Still waiting with simless tablet z sgp321 :/

16. MohankumarGuest 1 year ago

17. DzuGuest 1 year ago

Xperia z 4.3 …Received in India!! yaaaay!!

18. Hemant Kumar SharmaGuest 1 year ago

Eagerly waiting for update 4.3 for my ZR in delhi

19. Vignesh JayabalGuest 1 year ago

Not released in India yet!

20. ChuchoGuest 1 year ago

He aqi desde TOlucA Mexico
    Y ya por fin…estoy qedandome dormido
    8:21 am y nada de nada

21. sanvariya meenaGuest 1 year ago

very nice yar .

22. paulGuest 1 year ago

23. bonGuest 1 year ago

Japanese xperia tablet z in USA still not updated

24. AnupGuest 1 year ago

This way sony will not be able to climb up the smartphone ladder..
    Even though they make good smartphones.

• nkwGuest 1 year ago

25. WellSonyGuest 1 year ago

Cant restart tablet after upgrade.

26. IGNACIOGuest 1 year ago

12/25 23:05 hs Xperia Z C6603 in Argentina, not updated yet.
    Still waiting…

27. neroheroGuest 1 year ago

Still no update for the unlocked Z1 in the UK, ffs poor show Sony

28. updesh bhadoriyaGuest 1 year ago

Xperia z Still waitng for its update in india..!:(

29. SannieGuest 1 year ago
  30. TolulopeGuest 1 year ago

waiting for my Xperia ZR also in Nigeria

31. SannieGuest 1 year ago

32. broomieGuest 1 year ago

Am still waiting for the update in ZSA…I hope it’s worth the wait…!!!

33. chadasGuest 1 year ago

34. joshpGuest 1 year ago

Wow. The Z feels good with the 4.3. Just rec’d the update in the UK

35. IsmailGuest 1 year ago

36. HARDIGuest 1 year ago

Isit out in South Africa? cant seem to update either Xperia Z or Tablet Z?

37. Yu ShengGuest 1 year ago

38. deonvsGuest 1 year ago

39. HamishGuest 1 year ago

1. Phone crashes when using camera now, almost every time.
    3. Phone carrier dropping in and out

Going back to 4.2.2 until issues resolved

40. pamGuest 1 year ago

I just got 4.3 on my xperia z c6616 on bell canada today good job sony

41. jrw14gbrGuest 1 year ago

Sony support useless. Anyone know of a workaround?

42. joknusGuest 1 year ago

Indonesia. I have 2 xperia z, but only one Can update 4.2 why??!

43. varunGuest 1 year ago

dude did you got Social Live Camera with the update…

• MoinGuest 1 year ago