Jan 03 AT 1:54 PM Dima Aryeh 18 Comments

Polaroid’s new budget quad core tablets run KitKat out of the box

polaroid-q8-tablet

The budget tablet market has been going absolutely crazy in the last two years with the release of the Amazon Kindle Fire line and Google’s Nexus tablets. The Nexus 7 has been quite a success, and everyone seems to be trying to achieve the same. But instead of creating powerful, high-end tablets with a low price tag, companies try to undercut Google’s pricing at any cost.

Polaroid’s newest announcement is the Q series of tablets, namely the Q7, Q8 (shown above), and Q10. These devices all run unnamed quad cores, but they distinguish themselves with Android KitKat 4.4, the newest version of Android some new devices still don’t come with. It’s nice to know you’re up-to-date even if you’re not spending much.

These devices will all sell between $129 and $179, with the most expensive model still besting the Nexus 7 in price by $50. Of course, you won’t get the same tablet experience or good looks. Would you buy a Polaroid tablet? Do you trust the company to keep its tablets updated? Leave a comment!

Via: Engadget

• Vance

No. The correct answer is no.

• blackroseMD1

I’d buy them for my kids. Better than the RCA tablets they have now.

• Matt-J

What’s with the button ordering? That looks like changing it for the sake of changing it

• DS

The correct answer is Sero Hisense 7 Pro.

• Ron

Would I buy a Polaroid tablet?
    Yes and I’ve bought several. They are nice tablets. Not the greatest, but for the price, they can’t be beat.

Do I trust the company to keep its tablets updated?
    Nope. But I don’t trust any company to keep old product up to date.

• scubabum

KitKat on their products.

• Bart

Depends on just how they punish the buyer. (“Well, we give you Android 4.4 but you can’t install apps, there’s no expandable memory, and to replace the battery you have to snail mail to some unknown island in the Caribbeans.”) LOL

• kris

On the Q10 Polaroid can you install apps,expand memory and replace the battery easily???? Does anybody know?

• hp420

If I buy a $130 tablet I don’t expect updates. But I do expect source code. I don’t mind tinkering.

• donger
  • jamal adam

I honestly feel that most budget tablets are already compromising on certain things in order to sell at a lower price but the one thing they shouldn’t compromise is being on the latest version of Android.

• http://www.jdotreach.com Joshua Reach

• Paul

If they got KitKat on it so fast that’s an indication it could be stock. Would make upgrading it easier for the modding community in the future. Now if Poloaroid really wants to sell us, they shouldn’t do any fancy bootloader locking or anything crazy like that, make it easier for the modding community to hack up. Seriously if you’re a manufacturer who’s not wanting to chase Android updates, you want to build a product and release it and not have to support it that much, you really should consider full support to the modding community. Offer them any drivers, binary’s, insights to your hardware that they may need. Make it easy for flashing new ROM’s. But the fact that Polaroid doesn’t mention “which” quad core CPU they went with is a bit scary, I mean even if it were an older name-brand chip, like the Tegra 3 or something, it’d be ok; not mentioning it at all sounds like it’s a cheap chinese no-name knock-off.

• Pratinas

I bought two Polaroid 8″ and 10″ tablets running Android 4.2 couldn’t be happier – one third the cost of my Nexus, and no loss of functionality. Same functionality. Same irritations. MUCH better value.

• Kelsey

Does anyone know why this tablet would shut down and then delete all the downloaded apps when it’s turned back on?

1. No. The correct answer is no.

2. blackroseMD1Guest 1 year ago

I’d buy them for my kids. Better than the RCA tablets they have now.

3. Matt-JGuest 1 year ago

4. DSGuest 1 year ago

The correct answer is Sero Hisense 7 Pro.

5. RonGuest 1 year ago

Would I buy a Polaroid tablet?

Do I trust the company to keep its tablets updated?
    Nope. But I don’t trust any company to keep old product up to date.

6. I probably will not buy Polaroid tablets but I have to give Polaroid a thump-up for starting out with
    KitKat on their products.

7. BartGuest 1 year ago

• krisGuest 5 months ago

8. hp420Guest 1 year ago

9. Well done Polaroid. Kitkat is what should be on all new tablets regardless of whether they are budget or high-end. I mean I just looked at the article on Acer and their new budget tablets are running Android 4.2.1.

10. Not sure if I would have much faith in a Polaroid tablet, but for the price – why not buy one to try? Who knows, this could be the next (much needed) chapter for Polaroid.

11. PaulGuest 1 year ago