Feb 24 AT 2:54 PM Dustin Earley 33 Comments

Samsung Galaxy S5 complete spec rundown

Screen Shot 2014-02-24 at 2.50.24 PM

Samsung has just announced its newest addition to the Galaxy family, the Galaxy S5, with an interesting mix of specs. It didn’t feel the need to update the RAM or display, but has put more emphasis on imaging, security and data speed. All in all, it makes for a worthwhile upgrade for Galaxy S3 users, and won’t make recent S4 buyers feel like they’ve been given the short end of the stick. Here’s a complete rundown of the Galaxy S5 including dimensions, media compatibility and more.

• Network: LTE Cat.4 (150/50Mbps)
  • Display: 5.1″ FHD Super AMOLED (1920 x 1080)
  • AP: 2.5GHz Quad core application processor
  • OS: Android 4.4.2 (Kitkat)
  • Camera: 16MP (rear), 2.0MP (front)
  • Video: UHD@30fps, HDR, video stabilization
  • Video Codec : H.263, H.264(AVC), MPEG4, VC-1, Sorenson Spark, MP43, WMV7, WMV8, VP8
  • Video Format: MP4, M4V, 3GP, 3G2, WMV, ASF, AVI, FLV, MKV, WEBM
  • Audio Codec : MP3, AMR-NB/WB, AAC/ AAC+/ eAAC+, WMA, Vorbis, FLAC
  • Audio Format: MP3, M4A, 3GA, AAC, OGG, OGA, WAV, WMA, AMR, AWB, FLAC, MID, MIDI, XMF, MXMF, IMY, RTTTL, RTX, OTA
  • Camera Features: HDR (Rich tone), Selective Focus, Virtual Tour Shot, Shot & More
  • Additional Features: IP67 Dust and water Resistant, Ultra Power Saving Mode, Download Booster, S Health 3.0, Quick Connect, Private Mode, Kids Mode
  • Google Mobile Services: Chrome, Drive, Photos, Gmail, Google, Google+, Google Settings, Hangouts, Maps, Play Books, Play Games, Play Newsstand, Play Movie & TV, Play Music, Play Store, Voice Search, YouTube
  • Connectivity: WiFi: 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac HT80, MIMO(2×2), Bluetooth®: 4.0 BLE / ANT+, USB: USB 3.0, NFC, IR Remote
  • Sensor: Accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass, barometer, Hall, RGB ambient light, Gesture(IR), Finger Scanner, Heart rate sensor
  • Memory: RAM: 2GB, Internal Memory: 16/32GB, microSD slot upto 64GB
  • Dimension: 142.0 x 72.5 x 8.1mm, 145g
  • Battery: 2800mAh, Standby time: 390 hrs / Talk time: 21 hrs
Dustin Earley: Tech enthusiast; avid gamer; all around jolly guy.

• MyMilan

Very disappointing. Won’t be buying one.

• Faslane

You’re nuts. What more could you want? This the TRUE iPhone killer if there ever was one.

• Scaleaton

Who in the world wants a iPhone killer? We want a impressive phone not a replica as you call a iPhone killer. I do like the GS5 but I’ll pass on this device

• BSG

I don’t want a iPhone or a iPhone killer. Just the world best smartphone, and I already have it :)

• riz

ITS THE NEW S4…NO WAIT S5. ITS THE NEW S5!

• halo0

• Emilio

Definitely and completely disappointing. I’ll stick with my Note 3 at this point.

• BlazeHN

Geez… its so bad on many ways =/

HORRIBLE back case
    Still 2GB RAM (expected 3GB)
    Still 16 GB Internal Storage model, WTF? Minimal should be 32 GB at this point
    Still 1080p, wich is actually a good thing though…

Nothing new really useful except for the waterproff… Note 3 still superior.

• Dave

It’s kind of nice they didn’t totally overblow the specs and give S4 users the middle finger. I’m still happy with my Note 2 and wouldn’t upgrade to anything currently on the market. It will still be a great everyday phone to the masses, which is what makes Sammy filthy rich. The dev community always wants more than what is coming out.

• www.phonewbie.com

• Nate B.

However, the overall design is silly. They slapped a new back on there with color and called it new. I might be able to get on Amazon or eBay and find a back cover for my Noe 3 or a S4 and call it the S5. Not ever successor needs to be a complete makeover, but they need to find one iconic design of their own and stick with it. Just minor refinements as time goes on. Like the HTC One will pretty much look the same with a few refinements. Same with the iPhone. It has always looked the same for the most part, but a few minor refinements and is still considered one of the most attractive devices. I agree.

Software, I never like the overall design of Touchwiz. You can’t flatten the overall look and call it a day. It still needs an overhaul in my opinion. Colors are everywhere and still looks the same pretty much. They did very little in changing the software design that I think current Note and Galaxy phones should have got that as the update.

I do like the features of this phone. They didn’t bring over the top features. They actually did keep it simple. I do like to run and workout, but I only add music to my workouts. I don’t really care for the fitness part of tech. But it’s not bad. Fingerprint scanner is kind of cool. The camera is really nice. I’ve always wanted HDR while recording video. The screen may not be 2K but it isn’t ready yet. What phone will have it? I don’t care about that.

I really just wanted an iconic design that they could win with and a better look for their skin. If they would have at least had a sweet design, they could help tolerate Touchwiz this time around.

• Nate B.

• Skis03

• rustic

looks like android devices are hitting dead end. S5 and new HTC One are stepping in one place and present to significant improvement over the last year. kinda like iphone 5s.
    even qualcom chips are not that more powerful. they used to make chips stronger 2 or 3 times than year before. now it’s just small improvement.
    Android platform is not stuck, it progresses and improves, but the phones just stopped. Only Moto X was showing something, with two years old guts he manages to be almost equal, because google is directly responsible.

• Text

I am disappointed, I was really looking forward to an s5 with all great rumours like whole body metal casing & finger print scanner & all, I am sticking to my s4 till something better comes up

• kenneth warnershook

Any news on software ui??

• mike

Such power for such a shitty OS for real this is PC like stats and android OS sill looks like ass

• s3=s4=s5=lame

consumer reactions to galaxy s5 reveal

• http://www.androidandme.com Nick Sarafolean

That .gif with Mike just made my entire day.

• mike

Also no doubt US version will be watered down like every year with qualcrap

• renyo

• Alec Waddelow

• SGB101

I really wanted a design change, This is over 3 years old now, I was underwhelmed last year with the sgs4,this is just lazy.

So much for the all metal, edge to edge glass mock ups we was seeing.

The fit watch is nice mind, shame it’s galaxy only, I’m running cm on my note.

• Anadrol

I like the new back, but overall the specs are disappointing;
    no camera sensor stabilization, no wireless charging, fingerprint reader not on home button, less battery size and RAM than the Z2…

• FlashV

Why do Samsung phones always win the spec wars? Well that’s to make sure that there’s enough power under the hood to run crapWiz. Ever own a Nexus? :-D

• Paul Atreides

Biggest let down for me is the rape of the internal storage again. If they had made Touchwiz slimmer I could forgive the design decisions a lot more. Also, I mean half of Google’s crap should not be preloaded or at least uninstallable, S-Health, even though I like both Private and Kids mode they should be add-ons along with some Camera features. I’m not that offended by the back of the phone as many are though, but not a fan of the top bezel bottom isn’t as bad since the buttons are there.

• donger

Wait for the Z2 or HTC the new One.

1. Very disappointing. Won’t be buying one.

• FaslaneGuest 1 year ago

• ScaleatonGuest 1 year ago

• BSGGuest 1 year ago

• rizGuest 1 year ago

ITS THE NEW S4…NO WAIT S5. ITS THE NEW S5!

2. It’s insane how much bigger it is considering the screen only went up by 0.1″! I’m so done with Samsung and their gigantic phones.

3. EmilioGuest 1 year ago

4. Geez… its so bad on many ways =/

HORRIBLE back case
    Still 2GB RAM (expected 3GB)
    Still 16 GB Internal Storage model, WTF? Minimal should be 32 GB at this point
    Still 1080p, wich is actually a good thing though…

Nothing new really useful except for the waterproff… Note 3 still superior.

• DaveGuest 1 year ago

5. Why is everybody crying about the specs (of this and the HTC M8)? We all knew that the spec race would end or level off at some point. I remember how we used to complain that our phones were outdated after 6 months, now we’re complaining because they last for a good 18-24 months? lol. Never satisfied.

6. Spec wise the S5 is nice. If you expected more spec wise, then you’re unrealistic and need to understand tech in general is not there yet for your mission impossible fantasies.

• To be honest, HTC only needs to have some sweet tech with their camera, battery, and software to top this. The design alone has a really big impact.

7. It seems as Samsung decided make it more of an all in one than to push technology specs further. To me it seems to be the GS4 re-released with a few bells and whistles.

8. rusticGuest 1 year ago

9. TextGuest 1 year ago

10. kenneth warnershookGuest 1 year ago

Any news on software ui??

11. mikeGuest 1 year ago

12. s3=s4=s5=lameGuest 1 year ago

consumer reactions to galaxy s5 reveal

13. mikeGuest 1 year ago

Also no doubt US version will be watered down like every year with qualcrap

14. Any idea what processor we’re looking at exactly? Qualcomm or Samsung? Model no.?

15. Still no front-facing speakers? LOL, cannot wait to get the new HTC, the One has treated me right and I intend to throw my money at them once again

16. The specs are more than fine, they have been since the sgs3/one x, the Moto x proves this.

So much for the all metal, edge to edge glass mock ups we was seeing.

The fit watch is nice mind, shame it’s galaxy only, I’m running cm on my note.

17. I like the new back, but overall the specs are disappointing;

18. FlashVGuest 1 year ago

19. Paul AtreidesGuest 1 year ago

20. Wait for the Z2 or HTC the new One.