Sony took to the stage at Mobile World Congress this morning to unveil the new Sony Xperia Z2. The flagship Android smartphone is powered by Qualcomm’s new Snapdragon 801 chip clocked at 2.3GHz with 3GB of RAM, 16GB of internal storage and a microSD card slot. The Xperia Z2′s 5.2-inch 1080×1920 Triluminos display features Sony’s new “Live Color LED” technology, and there’s also a 2.2-megapixel camera on the Z2′s face. Around on the back of the device is a 20.7-megapixel camera with support for 4K video capture and 120fps slow motion video at lower resolutions. All of those goodies are powered by a 3200mAh battery and wrapped in an IP58 waterproof chassis that could easily be mistaken for last year’s Xperia Z1.
It’s unclear how much more powerful the Xperia Z2 and its Snapdragon 801 SoC will be when compared to the original Z1, but the Live Color LED display tech found in the Z2 will certainly make a huge difference. When the two phones are placed side-by-side, the Xperia Z1′s display is washed out while the Z2′s screen features dramatically improved color reproduction at extreme viewing angles.
Sony did not announce a price for the Xperia Z2, but the handset is expected to be available in white, black and purple across Europe and select Asian markets starting in late March.
Show Press Release
Sony adds new and innovative experiences to the premium Z series with Xperia™ Z2 – our best ever display, sound, camera and camcorder in a waterproof smartphone
- The world’s best camera and camcorder in a waterproof smartphone1with Sony’s proven camera technologies: Award-winning “G Lens”, 20.7 MP “Exmor RS for mobile” CMOS image sensor and “BIONZ for mobile” image processing engine
- Capture video in 4K resolution with SteadyShot™, complemented by new Xperia camera apps such as Timeshift video and new AR effect
- Our brightest and most vivid viewing experience ever on 5.2” Full HD TRILUMINOS™ Display for mobile with Live Colour LED powered by X-Reality™ for mobile
- The world’s first smartphone with digital noise-cancelling technology2for an immersive audio experience
- World’s most powerful waterproof smartphone3 with the latest Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 processor with 2.3 GHz quad-core Krait CPUs and 4G LTE for fast performance, 3GB RAM and high capacity 3200 mAh battery
24th February 2014, MWC, Barcelona – Sony Mobile Communications (“Sony Mobile”) today introduces Xperia™ Z2, Sony’s best ever premium waterproof smartphone combining its best display, sound, camera and camcorder experience as well as an exclusive entertainment offer and a growing ecosystem of companion products. Xperia Z2 is the newest addition to Sony’s premium Z series and will launch globally from March 2014.
“With Xperia Z2 we have taken our premium Z series to the next level, delivering unique experiences that only Sony can offer,” said Kunimasa Suzuki, President and CEO, Sony Mobile Communications. “We have redefined the smartphone once again through our camera. Xperia Z2 offers an innovative experience that captures memories in stunning detail through 4K video shooting, or offers new ways to use the camera with our unique Xperia camera apps. Furthermore, the Best of Sony has been delivered in the sound quality and customers are now able to listen to their music even in noisy environments without interruptions thanks to our acclaimed digital noise cancelling technology.”
The world’s best camera and camcorder in a waterproof smartphone1
Capture and relive every detail with Xperia Z2’s camera and camcorder. Xperia Z2 features Sony’s proven camera technologies to deliver the unbeatable combination of the world’s best mobile camera and our most advanced camcorder ever in and 8.2 mm slim smartphone. The 20.7 megapixel camera is matched with 1/2.3-type Exmor RS for mobile CMOS image sensor, Sony’s award-winning G Lens and intelligent BIONZ™ for mobile image processing engine resulting in superb photo and video quality.
These features work together to bring you sharp, vivid and beautiful photos and videos no matter what the circumstances. With new enhanced video mode, you can now capture memories in stunning detail in 4K resolution (3840×2160 pixels/30p) at four times the detail of Full HD, delivering the world’s best camcorder in a waterproof smartphone1. Plus, SteadyShot™ image stabilisation technology ensures your footage will stay smooth even if you are walking. The new Movie Creator allows you to trim and crop your videos so that you can easily pick out what you want to share. Insert dramatic slowdown effects at one or more places on the timeline of the video, then preview the results before you save and share your video.
The best video deserves the best sound. The compact and innovative STM10 Stereo Microphone offers high quality stereo audio recording. Compact and easy to carry, it’s the perfect match for Xperia Z2’s 4K video recording.
The smartest smartphone around with a growing ecosystem of Xperia camera apps
Enhance your mobile experience with a growing range of innovative Xperia camera apps. In addition to Info-eye™, Social live and Timeshift burst, Xperia Z2 also comes pre-loaded with new Xperia camera apps for both photo and video.
- Timeshift video: To relive every moment of the action in slow motion detail, the new Timeshift video mode lets you shoot in 120 frames per second and select scenes to slow the playback speed for dramatic slow motion effects exactly where you want, even underwater.
- Creative effect: Use a range of new creative effects for your photos and videos. Available in real-time for video, these adjustments enhance your clips with a range of effects such as colours, image trails, mirror and motion effects.
- Background defocus: This new camera app simulates a shallow depth of field. Capture two photos at different focus settings and blend together the different depths, leading to a blurred out background for more professional looking photos.
- AR effect: Now available for video recording, have some fun with your photos and videos with new augmented reality animations, including sound effects for video.
- Vine4: Create short, beautiful, looping videos in a simple and fun way for your friends and family to see – all from your camera’s viewfinder. Plus, using the dedicated camera button, you can capture Vine videos underwater as well.
In addition to these fun and useful pre-loaded Xperia camera applications, there’s a whole range of extra apps for you to enjoy including Wikitude Places, Evernote, VI Sports and more. Simply go into your camera viewfinder, tap the camera mode icon and then click on ‘+Apps’ to see all the latest apps available on Sony Select to enhance your smartphone experience.
Our best design with our highest level of waterproofing
The Xperia Z2 Android smartphone is designed with the user in mind, drawing on Sony’s expertise in premium craftsmanship. Evolving Sony’s stunning OmniBalance design, Xperia Z2 has a slimmer, and more comfortable feel by having the glass panels encased in a single, solid aluminium frame with smoother edges. This dust-resistant and waterproof (IP55 & IP58) powerhouse blends beauty with function. The dedicated camera button means that you’re ready to capture the action wherever you are – both in and out of the water. Plus, the stunning 5.2” display, balanced with symmetry in design, provides a natural feel when held in your hand.
Bringing the viewing experience to life in bright and vivid detail
To enjoy the latest content in stunning quality and vivid colour, Xperia Z2’s screen is built using the latest BRAVIA® TV technologies optimised for mobile. The 5.2” Full HD TRILUMINOS™ display for mobile with Live Colour LED provides the widest palate of rich natural colours for the sharpest images and a viewing experience that is as close to reality as possible.
Natural colours true to life can be difficult to reproduce on a display. TRILUMINOSTM Display for mobile with brand new Live Colour LED uses red & green phosphor with blue LEDs and customised colour filters to produce a brighter and more uniform light. The result is richer colours on the screen for all of your smartphone viewing without the risk of saturation.
X-Reality for mobile analyses each image to optimise colours, sharpness and contrast while also reducing noise. The super resolution function reproduces lacking pixels for spectacular clarity and detail.
Entertainment without interruption
To enjoy with the best display and a wide range of entertainment, Xperia Z2 also offers amazing sound quality with stereo speaker output and Sony’s digital noise cancelling technology.
Whether you’re on a plane or in on the bus, enjoy music on the go without the interruption of background noise. Our digital noise cancelling technology and dynamic sound in Xperia Z2 helps reduce up to 98% of ambient noise, when used with the compact in-ear MDR NC31EMNoise Cancelling Headset. Or, immerse yourself in entertainment with S-Force Front Surround™ to enjoy the latest movies, gaming and music on your Xperia Z2.
Music, movies and more – out of the box and at your fingertips
With Xperia Z2, you also get a range of entertainment right from the moment you turn your smartphone on. Xperia Z2 owners will have access to an exclusive content offer that includes six blockbuster movies from Sony Pictures, including Captain Phillips, as well as 30 days free trial of Music Unlimited4.
This exclusive out of the box content offer is available on Xperia Z2 through Sony’s range of integrated entertainment apps with a new and intuitive user interface:
- “What’s New” app helps you discover new and recommended movies, music, games and apps for enjoyment on your Xperia Z2 – all accessible from an informative and interactive widget on the home screen.
- “WALKMAN®” and Movies applications provide access to a global catalogue of more than 25 million songs on the “WALKMAN®” app through Music Unlimited5and tens of thousands of movies and TV series on the Movies app through Video Unlimited5 from Sony Entertainment Network.
- PlayStation® App gives you the chance to enjoy an enhanced gaming experience – keeping you connected to your gaming friends and the games you love to play.
- PlayMemories Online6 - a cloud-based image and video service that is integrated into the Album application. A new ‘All Sync’ feature enables users to instantly auto-upload all of their photos without storage limitation5 to enjoy on all your devices.
- TrackIDTM TV7 - enhances your TV-viewing experience as it lets you search, share and explore information from broadcasted TV shows such as cast & crew, biographies, filmography or show related Tweets.
Enjoy ultra-fast performance with a battery you can rely on
Xperia Z2 is armed with the power to multi-task and enjoy everything from super-fast web surfing to video streaming without the wait. With the fully integrated Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 801 processor with 2.3 GHz quad-core Krait CPUs and 4G LTE, Xperia Z2 offers ultra-fast performance for the apps and entertainment you want to enjoy, without the interruptions. The Snapdragon 801 also features the Adreno™ 330 GPU for rich graphics and gaming and a dual ISP for a seamless camera, camcorder and display experience.
Xperia Z2 also includes a large 3200 mAh battery which provides outstanding, class-leading battery performance. Plus, with Sony’s Battery STAMINA Mode, you can stay connected even longer, as it automatically turns off the functions you don’t need to save power when your display is inactive. As soon as you press the power button to wake up your screen, everything is up and running again.
Unrivalled ecosystem of companion products and smart accessories, including SmartWear
Sony offers the most comprehensive range of innovative companion products and accessories to give you new ways to use and enjoy your smartphone. With 154 NFC enabled one-touch connected products – including TVs, headphones, audio speakers, tablets, and more – it has never been easier to connect and enjoy your content across multiple devices.
The SmartBand SWR10 works with Xperia Z2 to log your life in partnership with the Lifelog application, creating an automatic 24/7 diary of your activities, entertainment and memories. Plus, with SmartBand you’ll never need to worry about losing your phone or missing a call with a series of customisable smart notifications delivered straight to your wrist.
The Xperia Z2 will launch globally from March 2014.
Sony introduces its most innovative tablet yet with Xperia™ Z2 Tablet – the world’s slimmest & lightest waterproof1 tablet
- The world’s slimmest, lightest and only waterproof tablet for ultimate portability
- The world’s first tablet display with Live Colour LED2 for the best entertainment viewing experience
- The world’s first digital noise cancelling technology built into a tablet3for a truly immersive sound experience
- The world’s fastest processor in a tablet4 featuring the Qualcomm®Snapdragon™ 801 processor combined with Sony’s leading battery performance
- Unique accessories to further enhance your tablet experience for work and play
24th February 2014, Mobile World Congress, Barcelona – Sony Mobile Communications (“Sony Mobile”) today set a new standard in tablet innovation with the Xperia Z2 Tablet – the world’s slimmest and lightest waterproof tablet with Sony’s best ever entertainment experience.
“The Xperia Z2 Tablet represents the pinnacle of tablet innovation and is a true flagship in our premium line. We have evolved our cutting-edge design to create the slimmest lightweight tablet matched with Sony’s latest technologies to deliver a unique user experience.” said Kunimasa Suzuki, President and CEO, Sony Mobile Communications. “And with our new range of dedicated accessories, you can further now enhance your tablet experience whether for work or play, at home or on the go.”
Unbeatable viewing experience
The Xperia Z2 Tablet is the world’s first tablet display with Live Colour LED display, providing bright natural colours and perfectly sharp images in any light thanks to Sony’s latest BRAVIA TV technology expertise. The 10.1” Full HD TRILUMINOS™ Display for mobile is matched with Sony’s new Live Colour LED technology resulting in colours that have never been so real, more natural or so true to life. Add to the Sony’s unique X-Reality™ for mobile intelligent engine that analyses each image for optimal colour, sharpness and contrast while super resolution reproduces lacking pixels to ensure you get the ultimate viewing experience every time.
Best ever sound experience
The Xperia Z2 Tablet offers the clearest sound quality with Sony’s Front Surround™ audio technology that lets you enjoy dynamic sound. And now you can enjoy uninterrupted audio when you’re on the move, even on noisy trains or planes, thanks to the world’s first digital noise cancelling technology built into a tablet that reduces ambient noise by up to 98% when paired with the MDR-NC31EM Noise Cancelling headset.
The world’s slimmest and lightest waterproof tablet
With Xperia Z2 Tablet, Sony has developed a tablet that is both beautifully sleek and portable. Using premium materials, every single detail has been carefully crafted to create the world’s slimmest (only 6.4mm) and lightest (only 426g for Wi-Fi model and 439g for LTE/3G model) waterproof tablet on the planet, making it extremely portable and comfortable to hold, even with just one hand. Sony’s acclaimed OmniBalance design creates an elegant shape that is delightfully slim yet reassuringly solid, providing balance and symmetry in all directions for a comfortable hold and beautiful look from all angles. And as you would expect from Sony, this lightweight beauty is also entirely waterproof taking every day life in its stride.
Best ever tablet entertainment
“What’s New” app helps you discover new and recommended movies, music, games and apps for enjoyment on your Xperia Z2 – all accessible from an informative and interactive widget on the home screen.
- “WALKMAN®” and Movies applications provide access to more than 25 million songs on the “WALKMAN®” app through Music Unlimited5 and tens of thousands of movies and TV series on the Movies app through Video Unlimited5from Sony Entertainment Network.
- The Album app with PlayMemories™ Online6 makes it easy to securely upload, share and enjoy all of your photos and videos across your favourite Sony devices.
- Exclusive entertainment content offer6: Get 6 blockbuster movies from Sony Pictures including Captain Phillips and 30 days free trial from Music Unlimited.
Further enhance your entertainment experience with the latest tablet accessories. Create a Full HD TV style viewing experience with your tablet with the BSC10 Bluetooth® Speaker dockwith Magnetic Charging Pad that lets you enjoy all your online and offline entertainment content with superior sound – all whilst charging. The BRH10 Bluetooth® Remote with Handset Function adds full multimedia remote control functionality to your movie and gaming experience, as well as easy call handling via IP telephony or voice calling (LTE/3G variant only). Turn your tablet into a gaming console experience with Wireless Controller (DUALSHOCK®3), which brings the most intuitive PlayStation® style game play entertainment straight to your tablet.
The world’s most powerful tablet3
The Xperia Z2 Tablet features the fully integrated Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 801 processor with 2.3 GHz processor quad-core Krait CPU that delivers high performance without draining the battery. Enjoy immersive multimedia experiences with stunning visuals and 3D gaming thanks to the enhanced graphics capabilities of the latest Adreno™ 330 GPU.
Xperia Z2 Tablet can also spend less time charging with the integrated Qualcomm Quick Charge 2.0 technology, which enables devices to charge up to 75 percent faster than devices without the fast charging technology. The large 6000mAh lithium polymer battery, together with Sony’s leading Battery STAMINA Mode, provides up to 10 hours of uninterrupted multimedia usage and more than 100 hours music playback without having to recharge your battery.
A tablet that means business
Turn your tablet into a laptop with the BKC50BT Bluetooth® Keyboard and Tablet Cover Stand that connects to your tablet for the ultimate laptop experience.
The inclusion of OfficeSuite Pro 7 means you can view, edit and share native Microsoft Office files giving you the flexibility to work where and when you need to. The robust security architecture of the Xperia Z2 Tablet safeguards both your corporate and personal data, while at the same time providing support for multiple accounts that are quick and simple to set up. And if you’re new to Xperia or simply upgrading, then Xperia Transfer is the simple and easy way to seamlessly transfer your contacts, photos, bookmarks, apps, messages and much more from your existing Android or iOS tablet, swiftly and securely.
High quality photos and videos with integrated Xperia camera apps
Capture HD photos and videos in any light condition with the Xperia Z2 Tablet’s 8.1MP camera with Exmor RS™ for mobile. Superior Auto mode combines Scene Recognition with high quality and high performance image processing technology such as HDR and noise reduction to automatically capture the moment with the optimal settings. Perfect for video calling, the 2.2MP front-facing HD chat camera is ideal for catching up with family and friends. The pre-loaded suite of Xperia camera apps adds an extra dimension of fun and creativity to the camera experience.
Xperia Z2 Tablet key features summary:
- 10.1” Full HD TRILUMINOS™ Display for mobile with Live Colour LED powered by X-Reality™ for mobile engine delivers a superb viewing experience
- S-Force Surround™ Sound and Digital Noise Cancelling for unrivalled audio quality
- World’s slimmest (6.4mm) and lightest (426g for Wi-Fi / 439g for LTE/3G) waterproof (IP55/IP58) tablet for ultimate portability
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 processor with 2.3 GHz quad-core Krait CPUs, 3GB RAM, 4G LTE and Battery STAMINA Mode for fast, lasting performance
- Available in black or white colour variants
The Xperia Z2 Tablet will launch globally from March 2014.
Introducing Xperia™ M2, the best smartphone technology in its class1
- The slimmest 4G smartphone2 with the best smartphone camera3 and largest qHD display4 in its class
- Sony’s premium experiences, including the OmniBalance design, stunning processor performance, 4G speed and a long-lasting battery in a mid-range smartphone
- Razor sharp photos and video with the 8MP Exmor RS™ for mobile, HDR camera, and Xperia camera apps for live video broadcasting and sharing
- A unique entertainment package of 3 blockbuster movies and 30 days free trial of the Music Unlimited service available out of the box
|24th February 2014, Barcelona, Spain – Sony Mobile Communications (“Sony Mobile”) today introduces Xperia™ M2, the 4G LTE smartphone that offers blockbuster entertainment and flagship experiences at a mid-range price point, thanks to a best-in-class processor, our display expertise, a razor sharp 8MP camera with Exmor RS for mobile and Sony’s music and video entertainment.“Xperia M2 is an ultra fast smartphone that offers brilliant specs and performance, reaching new audiences with a mid-range price. This is a great device for the customer looking for a smartphone that has it all,” says Calum MacDougall, Director of Xperia Marketing at Sony Mobile Communications. “It combines the best of Sony, bringing you our latest technologies complimented with a one of its kind, unique entertainment offer never before seen on a mid-range smartphone.”|
A mid-range smartphone with the best technology in its class1
Xperia M2 showcases high quality technology at an affordable price. Sony’s OmniBalance design as found on Sony’s premium smartphone range, an ultra-fast processor and a large qHD display, combine to create brilliant all-round performance, whilst the unique Xperia camera, music and movie apps offer stunning entertainment experiences.
Entertainment everywhere, right out of the box
Xperia M2 offers a world of media apps for seamless entertainment, online and offline with Sony Entertainment Network5, paired with the best content offer available for a mid-range smartphone. Xperia M2 users will have the chance to enjoy the latest films out of the box with three digital downloads of the hottest blockbusters from Sony Pictures, such as Captain Phillips and White House Down. Through the Music Unlimited service, Xperia M2 users can access a catalogue of 25 million songs for free for 30 days, while the Video Unlimited service offers instant movie blockbusters on a smartphone6.
The best smartphone camera in its class3
With the highest resolution camera in its clas7, the stunning 8MP camera with Exmor RS for mobile comes armed with Autoscene Recognition and HDR. Using the expertise and technology of Sony’s Cyber-shot cameras, Xperia M2 is perfect for capturing all of your favourite moments in brilliant quality.
For even more fun, unique Xperia camera apps such as Social live, Timeshift burst and Picture Effect help users to get the most out of Xperia M2’s quality 8MP camera.
To offer a unique and seamless experience direct from the camera’s viewfinder, Sony is also working with third party developers to offer a growing range of new Xperia camera apps. To download more Xperia camera apps such as Vine, V1 Sports and FX Guru, simply go into your camera viewfinder and then click on ‘+Apps’ to see all the latest apps available on Sony Select to enhance your smartphone experience.
Brilliant performance and speed that goes on forever
Sony’s engineering expertise in display and camera technologies collide to create Xperia M2. The large 4.8” qHD display, carefully crafted with our display expertise is perfect for enjoying entertainment content on the largest qHD display in its class6.
Being the world’s slimmest 4G smartphone in its class2, Xperia M2 combines the ultra-fast Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 400 processor with 1.2 GHz quad-core CPUs and 4G LTE for fast performance and a 2300mAh battery with STAMINA Mode 3.0. Ideal for long days of heavy usage, Xperia E3 provides speed and durability for users on-the-go.
The slimmest 4G smartphone in its class2
All this premium technology is housed in a thin and light smartphone that fits perfectly in your hand. Xperia M2 is available in three distinct colour options: black, white and purple.
Dual SIM, no compromise
Xperia M2’s dual-SIM variant, Xperia M2dual8, is a fast mobile phone that offers a new experience through the incorporation of Sony’s latest generation of dual-SIM technology. Users can set up both SIM cards independently with custom ring tones and easily choose between SIMs before making calls or sending texts, whilst Sony’s dual SIM management technology means that users can keep both SIMs active and never miss a call, even when talking on one of them.
Xperia M2 connects users via Bluetooth to Sony’s extended ecosystem of 154 one-touch compatible products with NFC technology. Music enthusiasts can enjoy tunes wirelessly via NFC using SBH20 Stereo Bluetooth Headset or plugged-in with part in-ear and water-resistant Stereo Headset STH30.
Whichever accessories you choose, Xperia M2 remains at the heart of your connected entertainment experience.
Xperia M2 will launch globally from April 2014.