Mar 19 AT 1:59 PM Dima Aryeh 30 Comments

Sony releasing KitKat for Xperia Z Ultra, Z1 and Z1 Compact, more updates to come

sony-xperia-z1-compact (8)

Sony has always been decent with software updates – for newer devices anyway – but the company loves to release them in batches. Today Sony announced that Android 4.4 updates will be rolling out for the Xperia Z Ultra, Xperia Z1 and Xperia Z1 Compact all at the same time. The rollout should be underway right now, so if you have one of these devices, head to your Settings menu and check for updates!

The KitKat update apparently comes with quite a few changes, changing the user interface to something Sony claims is “neat.” We’ll take its word for it. Here is the list of changes:

• Google’s Android 4.4; KitKat as standard — bringing performance & UI optimisation…
    We’ve added our tweaked Status Bar and Quick Settings… now more intuitive and customisable (and pretty easy on the eye)… cleaned up to ensure you only get the notifications you really need
  • If you’ve got a Sony PlayStation 4, you might recognize our new user interface — we’ve added the same sleek launch animation and livewallpaper across the lock and home screens
  • We’re also uplifting Sony’s entire native app portfolio to the latest versions — bringing tweaked / improved / current experiences for (to name but a few): Messaging, MyXperia, Smart Connect, Small apps, TrackID, TrackID TV, Sony Select, Smart Social Camera and…
  • Sony’s Media apps: WALKMAN, Album and Movies, with Sony Entertainment Network cloud service integration* — a more converged and full Sony entertainment experience — Sony Entertainment Network & PlayMemories integration with a more intuitive UI, better download speeds, and more!
  • Our unique custom interface experience: “Xperia Themes”, with downloadable UI packs from Sony Select — skin up to 280 assets across your Xperia smartphone with a variety of styles, and more to follow soon…

That’s an impressive list of changes. I especially like the idea of the Xperia Themes. While they were very basic before, I’d love to see how they work now. I’m sure Sony owners will be happy with these changes, so get excited for what seems like a pretty large update!

If your phone was left out, don’t worry too much. Sony is tackling the Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia Tablet Z and Xperia ZR next. They’ll be getting KitKat starting in mid-Q2. Sometime after that, Android 4.4 will become available for the Xperia T2 Ultra, Xperia E1 and Xperia M2. These devices might not get every single new feature the flagships are getting, but it’s great to see Sony support its older and lower-end devices.

In the world of updates, no one except for Motorola is really considered fast these days. Even the big guys like Samsung and HTC are taking forever with their KitKat updates, especially on carriers. But in comparison to them, Sony is keeping pace and updating several phones at once. We have to give the company props for showing support to its devices. Do you own an Xperia Z Ultra, Z1 or Z1 Compact? If so, did you get the update? Leave a comment!

Source: Sony Mobile Blog

• vatsal

I received a kitkat upgrade,on Z1 (Canadian Network). Dont know how to post the screen shot.

Update received at 1721hrs (E)DST.

• vatsal

My Z1 just received a kitkat update (Canadian Network). Dont know how to post the screen shot.

Update received at 1721hrs (E)DST.

• artsy

can someone please help me? why isnt the update appearing on my pc companion? some of my friends have already updated but my pc companion says im up to date when in fact im only in android 4.3.

• Armaan Bhardwaj Sharma

Hello ..thanks for this good news…and anyone tell me?? When is coming 4.4 update on z ultra in india????

• carribean z1

I didn’t get the update for my xperiaz1 rogers Canada

• donger
  • Davidjan

Really cool! Xperia Z series phone support OTG to add storage with Meenova MicroSD reader: http://goo.gl/2iJ6gf

• Travis Hooper

I have unlocked Z ultra C6833 and I have not received update in Ohio USA. I am using on T-Mobiles network. Does sim have to be in to get update as I am using my Note 3 until the update comes but my Ultra is connected by wi-fi and says up to date and also says up to date on PC companion.

• C6883

It doesn’t need a SIM. When I first got my C6833 I connected it to WiFi and it had an update waiting. I put my SIM in after the upgrade.

• Colin noble

No update so far in the UK network Ee gggrrrr hurry up Sony….hurry up

• fauzi

I received kitkat on my device sony xperia z1 c6903 (indonesia) thank you sony :)

• m1ndh4ck

it looks the same to me. I don’t like the quick settings. i like it better when they were just there and i don’t have to click on quick settings.
    seems like it runs better.

• HiHoSYstems

Sucessfully installed KitKat on X Ultra in Australia. Used PC Companion and clicked on Support Zone to activate update. I show off my SONYeverywhere!
    Now trying to understand new Connectivity option “Pair with PC” – via a WiFi connection.
    Used previous USB WiFi connectivity set-up, and SDCard>DCIM > Camera files not appearing in PC Browser, although they are there on the Phablet!

• Himashu

No kit kat update for Xperia Z Ultra users in India as of March 21 2014 9:40 am.
    Eagerly waiting for it.
    Hope this updae has all the components working unlike the first 4.3 update where audio settings were messed up but good Sony resoled that fast.

• lito

Still no kit kat update in singapore…I’m using xperia Z ultra..

• Isabella Indri

I’ve downloaded my Z1 to Kitkat. But anybody knows why my music is not sychronize to the walkman appiction as before?

• c6833

GETTING UPDATE IN AZ, USA NOW!!!! w00t

• c6833

oh BTW i had to use companion. OTA shows nothing. I’m on T-mobile with C6833 international

• denish

M using xperia z ultra and I am tired of looking at the software updates checking whether it has arrived or not.. Come ons sony how long in india

• Danish

In Pakistan Sony updates usually pop up in the update center after 4-6 weeks. So those who haven’t received their update option uptill now, please be patient. THEY WOULD APPEAR INSTANTLY WHEN YOU WOULD UNLOCK YOUR PHONE IN THE MORNING AFTER A GOOD NIGHT NAP :)

• Vicky

For those trying to update a z1 compact on t-mobile in the US, the update showed up for me on Sony Bridge for Mac (basically PC Companion for macs). It wasn’t showing up in the software updates on the phone.

I just installed the program. The moment my z1c was connected, it immediately prompted me to do the update. It just won’t let me do it unless the phone is at 80% battery, so now just waiting for it to charge.

• hamslin

i am using z ultra in india , i haven’t got my kitkat update as of 9th april , sony hurry i cant wait.

• Pankaj Pawar

Still no kit kat update in india…I’m using xperia Z1

• Ryker Cylix

Philippines still not receiving kitkat update for xperia z1… Smart communications network…

• Ryker Cylix

• Aravind

Im Using Xperia ZL [INDIA]. its already 4th june and ive not yet recieved an 4.4.2 update for my device.
    Eagerly Waiting for IT.. :( :( .

• faseeh

Xperia z did not receive the update (pakistan)

1. vatsalGuest 1 year ago

Update received at 1721hrs (E)DST.

2. vatsalGuest 1 year ago

Update received at 1721hrs (E)DST.

3. artsyGuest 1 year ago

4. Armaan Bhardwaj SharmaGuest 1 year ago

5. carribean z1Guest 1 year ago

I didn’t get the update for my xperiaz1 rogers Canada

6. DavidjanGuest 1 year ago

7. Travis HooperGuest 1 year ago

• C6883Guest 1 year ago

8. Colin nobleGuest 1 year ago

No update so far in the UK network Ee gggrrrr hurry up Sony….hurry up

9. fauziGuest 1 year ago

10. m1ndh4ckGuest 1 year ago

seems like it runs better.

11. HiHoSYstemsGuest 1 year ago

12. HimashuGuest 1 year ago

Eagerly waiting for it.

13. litoGuest 1 year ago

Still no kit kat update in singapore…I’m using xperia Z ultra..

14. Isabella IndriGuest 1 year ago

15. c6833Guest 12 months ago

GETTING UPDATE IN AZ, USA NOW!!!! w00t

16. c6833Guest 12 months ago

17. denishGuest 12 months ago

18. DanishGuest 12 months ago

19. VickyGuest 12 months ago

20. hamslinGuest 12 months ago

21. Pankaj PawarGuest 11 months ago

Still no kit kat update in india…I’m using xperia Z1

22. Ryker CylixGuest 11 months ago

23. Ryker CylixGuest 11 months ago

24. AravindGuest 10 months ago

Eagerly Waiting for IT.. :( :( .

25. faseehGuest 9 months ago

Xperia z did not receive the update (pakistan)