Mar 28 AT 2:49 PM Dima Aryeh 25 Comments

Study shows newer versions of Android more stable than iOS

Android 4.4 Kitkat

We didn’t really need a study to tell us this, but it’s nice to have a study to point to when talking to other fanboys. A study done by Crittercism has shown that the later versions of Android are significantly more stable than iOS, and that Gingerbread is the most unstable OS out of those tested. But interestingly enough, iOS and Gingerbread are very closely tied for that position.

Android 2.3 Gingerbread, released almost three and a half years ago, was reported to have a crash rate of 1.7%. The most stable version of iOS tested had a 1.6% crash rate, which is better but not by much. Ice Cream Sandwich, Jelly Bean and KitKat all have a low crash rate of 0.6%. This just goes to show how much Google has improved the operating system, and will hopefully dispel any of that old talk of Android being unstable. Interestingly enough, the report also concluded that the most stable Android devices were made by Samsung.

Of course, these statistics have a lot of wild cards. We can’t forget that the difference in users will often change the outcome, and those people who never bother to fix their devices after they start crashing will skew the numbers. But it’s still nice to see real world information like this. Tell us your thoughts on this study in the comments!

Via: Droid-Life

• Jonathan Gonzales

That’s great. Is there a link so we can actually see the results performed by Crittercism?

• xaml

• BR

April Fool’s isn’t until next week.

My girlfriend swtched to iPhone from Android a couple of weeks ago and she says that the improvement is extraordinary. Highlights:
    1) Not freezing when you open the app menu
    2) No delay when you type in the keyboard
    3) No need to reboot it regularly (that is, at least one a week)
    4) A battery that doesn’t drain within 6 hours
    5) A camera that takes clear pictures and also doesn’t freeze
    6) E-mail that loads e-mail the first time, instead of having to close the App and go back in (I’m referring to GMail here)

And Samsung devices being the best made? My Samsung-made Nexus S had a compass that has never pointed north!

No, I’m not trolling. Why do I keep buying Android if I hate them so much? I’m hoping that Tizen, FirefoxOS or UbuntuPhone will fix it. Hoping, and waiting.

• Mark man

How come after all these years and even with all these new multi core CPUs android this isn’t as smooth as the first IOS back when it was running on single core…one answer optimization.
      Always some sort of stutter
      Even 2 year old windows RT puts android to shame.

• Sidd

If you are expecting Android to be as smooth as iOS or Windows- sorry simply not possible. There are many reasons for that and if we can go on discussing in details that could be a years computer class syllabus. But in short, Android runs inside virtual environment called as Dalvik, where as Windows and iOS run directly on hardware.
        If you have ever used any virtual system such as VMWare or VirtualBox- you can know why. If not try running any OS (Windows or Linus) inside VMWare or VirtualBox and you will see the difference. Even if assigned hardware is same, there will be a marked difference.

• Itechyard

Blackberry or Android, Which one do you think is better & click the link and tell us why? http://www.itechyard.com/2014/03/blackberry-or-android-which-one-do-you.html?m=0#.UzgnMW117L0.twitter

• Vaibhav

I personally think that the newer versions of Android are getting smoother and smoother with every update. If you’ve used stock vanilla android with gapps, you can clearly see that android is able to run smooth as butter. Its the 3rd party apps that cause problems. I don’t know if that is just lazy development or the framework of android itself that is an issue, but Stock apps and Google apps show that you can really get smooth performance on Android. Its the apps like whatsapp and facebook that are designed to run on super low end phones with archaic GPUs. These apps do not have GPU acceleration by default and are programmed to be single threaded. Case in point, I was using whatsapp on my Nexus 4 and scrolling on it was jittery. I went to developer options and forced GPU acceleration. Holy mother of god the change in smoothness was astounding! It was not super smooth, but it was a better than before.

However, forcing GPU acceleration will not be the same as the developer making the app around GPU acceleration like in case of iPhones. And then there is custom UIs of samsung that make things worse. I do believe that samsung and other manufacturers do optimize their updates for previous phones (Apple does the same as well…its just a business strategy). I believe that as the lowest common denominator of android phones gets better, the smoothness of android phones will definitely reach the point of iOS and WP8.

Also, if you look at Android’s scrolling mechanism, you can do a really long and fast scroll which means the OS has to process a lot of data at once unlike iOS where the scroll distance is short hence less strain on the SoC

• Mark man

Sorry i meant to do normal post not reply to you

• Hajdzik

What does mean “Android phone”? You mean LG G2, Moto X, Nexus 5 or LG GT540? That make difference.

• kris

So, still using a nexus s and pointing your finger at android. Even one of the worst android Samsung galaxy s duos can prove you wrong.

• Sidd

1) Not freezing when you open the app menu- Seriously?? Never faced that
      2) No delay when you type in the keyboard- Never faced that
      3) No need to reboot it regularly (that is, at least one a week)- Rebooting isnt necessary, I don’t remember rebooting my S3 in about two years
      4) A battery that doesn’t drain within 6 hours- Until and unless you are continuously playing high end 3D games, not possible.
      5) A camera that takes clear pictures and also doesn’t freeze- Camera freeze is an issue on some but not all.

Which phone exactly you are/were using?? If it’s some cheap basic android phone you may have faced the problems as mentioned but I haven’t faced that with any flagship devices.

Also please note that Android is evolving- they never claimed to be perfect at the first place. Besides it’s easy to tailor made an OS for a couple of hardware configuration but you can’t assume the same when the OS is running on roughly 2000 different configurations!! There tends to be difference in user experience.

• Burnd

• Mark man

Always some sort of stutter/lag

Even 2 year old windows RT puts android to shame.

• donger

Data usage graph fix
    Internet telephony fix
    FCC compliance fix
    Miscellaneous fixes

….Yea android is real stable

• street

could say the same about apple.
      ios already had already made stability updates
      white/ black screen of death?
      different other issues

…so yea that’s about apple beeing stable

• Manny

in androids defense though they to have to work with so many hardware configuration.

Just saying its hard to take anything seriously from these pro android sites that post BIAS articles to make android look better

• Vaibhav

ehhhh no software is perfect. iOS 6 and 7 had a lot of issues. iOS 7.1 has a lot of stability issues as well. You never can fully predict the accurate behavior of a software which is this complex. Hey, at least those will get fixed and make android even more stable than before. Also, considering how feature pack and open android is, its really amazing that it is really so stable. Its easy to make an OS which has less features and that runs on 3-4 hardware configurations. Nokia 3310 never crashes and is really stable, does that mean we should all giddily throw away the new phones and use that? Nope. I would much prefer an OS that is open, lets me do whatever the hell I want, lets me decide the hardware in my phone as well as the price range of that phone, lets me expand my memory and access USB drives on it, lets me replace my batteries and does not tie me to use things like iTunes and Zune software.

• Itechyard

• Tommy

Yeah my gf traded in her 2 year old boost mobile prepaid zte phone, and got an iphone 5s on my verizon account. Apple must be better. Btw, the screens are the same size LOL

• Sami

After upgrading my nexus4 to Kitkat version it has some problem like restarting suddenly while working on it! So is there any solution about that?!

1. Jonathan GonzalesGuest 1 year ago

2. Android and Me reports about Droid-Life reporting about Information Week reporting about findings in a twenty-page article (referred to as “study”) available after free registration and reportedly calls it a day.

3. BRGuest 1 year ago

April Fool’s isn’t until next week.

1) Not freezing when you open the app menu
    2) No delay when you type in the keyboard
    3) No need to reboot it regularly (that is, at least one a week)
    4) A battery that doesn’t drain within 6 hours
    5) A camera that takes clear pictures and also doesn’t freeze

• Mark manGuest 1 year ago

Always some sort of stutter
      Even 2 year old windows RT puts android to shame.

• SiddGuest 1 year ago

• ItechyardGuest 1 year ago

• VaibhavGuest 1 year ago

• Mark manGuest 1 year ago

Sorry i meant to do normal post not reply to you

• HajdzikGuest 1 year ago

• krisGuest 1 year ago

• SiddGuest 1 year ago

1) Not freezing when you open the app menu- Seriously?? Never faced that
      2) No delay when you type in the keyboard- Never faced that

4. I’m a big Android fan, yet I find these kind of “studies” misleading and desperate. Stability is about a lot more than mere crashes. Stability is about a smooth OS, which runs fluently on your device. That of course includes ‘no crashes’, but a lot more than that. You have to take into account how much the OS bugs, the unwanted battery drainage, how much the OS (unnecessarily) slows down the device, and so on. The last OS I’d be running on my phone is iOS, but I gotta give it to ‘em: their OS is in many ways clean, smooth and fast. Despite the hardware being really sucky in comparison to Android flagships, an iPhone runs even the ‘demanding’ apps just smoothly. Also, iPhones score great on battery life, despite the few MAh they offer (ofc, they don’t even have HD screens to power, but you get the point). Go to bed with 70%, wake up with 70% the next morning. So all I’m saying is we shouldn’t make ourselves sound so desperate like that. Android has never been as awesome as Android KitKat is now. Period. No need to make unproven claims.

5. Mark manGuest 1 year ago

Always some sort of stutter/lag

Even 2 year old windows RT puts android to shame.

6. diaz3Guest 1 year ago

Data usage graph fix
    Internet telephony fix
    FCC compliance fix
    Miscellaneous fixes

….Yea android is real stable

• streetGuest 1 year ago

could say the same about apple.
      ios already had already made stability updates
      white/ black screen of death?
      different other issues