When OnePlus officially revealed its One smartphone earlier this week, it teased that interested consumers would be able to apply to smash their existing device in exchange for 1 of the first 100 OnePlus One units. That program is now officially live and accepting applications.
The OnePlus One Phone Smash program asks that anyone interested in a device apply to smash their current smartphone in exchange for the opportunity to buy a 16GB OnePlus One as well as 3 invites to buy the device that can be shared with others. Applications will be accepted through May 2 and winners will be notified by May 6. It’s worth noting that only the following smartphones are eligible for the Phone Smash program:
- Apple: iPhone 5, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5s
- BlackBerry: BlackBerry Z10, BlackBerry Z30
- HTC: HTC One (M7), HTC One (M8) HTC One max
- LG: LG G2, LG G2 Pro, LG G Flex, LG Nexus 5
- Motorola: Motorola Moto X
- Nokia: Nokia Lumia 1020, Nokia Lumia 1520, Nokia Lumia 925, Nokia Lumia 920
- Samsung: Samsung Galaxy Note II, Samsung Galaxy Note 3, Samsung Galaxy S III, Samsung Galaxy S 4, Samsung Galaxy S5
- Sony: Sony Xperia Z, Sony Xperia Z1, Sony Xperia Z2, Sony Xperia Z Ultra
Another tidbit that’s worth taking note of is that only people that are 18 or older and live in a OnePlus One launch country can apply to the Phone Smash program. The eligible countries include:
- Hong Kong
- United Kingdom
- United States
Finally, OnePlus warns that you shouldn’t smash your phone until the company reaches out to you about your application.
While getting a OnePlus One for $1 is a pretty awesome deal, asking consumers to smash their phone in exchange for a cheap device doesn’t seem like the best promo I’ve ever seen. Perhaps OnePlus could instead select 100 applicants and have them donate their phone. If you truly, desperately feel the need to smash your device in exchange for a cheap OnePlus One, though, you can find the application for the Phone Smash program right here.