May 07 AT 8:32 PM Dima Aryeh 22 Comments

Specs leak for HTC One (M8) Prime, features a WQHD display and an 18MP second camera

htconem8camera

The HTC One (M8) and the Samsung Galaxy S5 may be the highest end devices currently out there, but as tech enthusiasts, we’re always looking into the future. When the end of the year comes around, both HTC and Samsung will be releasing new devices, but their strategies have been very different in the past. While Samsung releases a completely different device, HTC has been content with releasing a modified version of the flagship.

You’ll remember the HTC One max, which was a large but dumbed down HTC One. It didn’t stand a chance against the Note 3, which packed far superior hardware. But HTC may be changing its strategy this time around, as the specs for a device called the HTC One (M8) Prime have leaked. The device will feature a 5.5-inch WQHD 2560×1440 display, a 2.3GHz Snapdragon 805, 3GB of RAM, 16GB of memory, a 5MP Ultrapixel camera with a secondary 18MP camera, and USB 3.0.

Yes, the Ultrapixel camera will finally be getting an update. The bump to 5MP doesn’t seem like much, but it is a 25% higher resolution. The secondary camera has our attention though. The M8′s second camera is a 2MP sensor made only for calculating depth, but if HTC replaces it with an 18MP sensor, we might see a lot more functionality. Maybe a high resolution mode to shoot landscape and bright shots? We can dream.

If this rumor ends up being true, HTC has a serious powerhouse on its hands that’s bound to get almost anyone excited. Hell, even I’m excited for it. Maybe Samsung will counter it with a higher end Galaxy variant, but most likely, the biggest competition will come from the Galaxy Note 4. Are you excited to see what HTC has up its sleeves? Leave a comment!

Via: Phandroid

Source: HTC Soku

• Vance

please include an S pen type variant with this sexy metal beast!

• Dirty Budha

Some sort of stylus, as well as expandable memory, would certainly have my convinced that I should go look at this phone to replace my Note 3. As a designer, I NEED the stylus for drawing. The memory is the deal breaker, but the stylus would be a sweet deal maker.

• Samuel Adams

HTC – the bankrupt company

• Vance

• ThatGuy

Still no waterproofing, 20.7 MP 4K camera, or 3000+ mAh battery.

No thanks HTC, I’ll stick with my Sony Xperia Z2.

Do it right the first time or don’t do it at all.

• aykutb

• BSR

@ThatGuy – so how exactly do you know the M8 Prime battery capacity? You stick with your Z2. Nice phone, but ugly as sin. Z2 Audio much better than the S5 but not a patch on the M8. Do it right first time or don’t do it at all.

• J

It is waterproof

• Dirty Budha

Given that the current models are water/dust proof/resistant, there’s reason to believe this model will be as well.

• donger

Go HTC!

• namesib

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

• Ironman

Only 16gb internal storage and no sd card slot.. nahhh .. im sure these specs will be revised

• Dirty Budha

The Max and the new One (M8) have expandable memory. It’s fairly safe to assume that the “Prime” will have it as well. I’m with you on that matter, no expandable memory then no sale from me.

• Gary

Welcome to Applenomics :) I personally love my M8. Camera is plenty big for a phone. Pics fill any 1080p monitor completely. Why would I zoom any more than that? If I want wall-hanging material I will use a DSLR. Who hangs their phone pics on the wall anyway???

THis is all hype. I doubt HTC and Samsung both agreed to call their phones “PRIME”

• M7owner

While i like a lot about the camera on my M7, i would very much like a higher magapixel count. Sure, for closeups it works great (nice picture without having to suffer a huge file size). But for any shot requiring cropping, picture quality/detail falls off really quickly. I’d love to see the Ultrapixel sensor increased to 8-10 magapixels. Anyone else?

• Dave Kratter

• rick

The z2 has numerous issues, like a screen that scratches to buggery, 4k recording issues the phone heating up and camera crashing, the interface has been panned for not being user friendly so dont go bagging htc when sony hasnt made anything right in years. this is the reason south korea and Taiwan are rising forces because japanese manufacturers have lost the plot.
    I used to love sony and all my electronics were mostly sony, but wont touch anything they make bar a playstation.

• Alex

M7 was a good looking phone but the M8 doesn’t look right looking at it head on. Yes, the sides and the back look good but the rounded corners make it look ugly compared to the M7 which looked much sexier in my opinion. I have had three HTC android phones, starting with the HTC Magic, Aria, and One S and loved every one, but the Xperia Z2 looks that much better then the M8. I’ve see both and I can’t seem to buy the M7, though I want to so much but it’s too damn ugly. I’ll get the much sexier Z2.

• Alex

Correction in my last comment. I’ve seen both and I can’t seem to buy the M8 (Corrected), though I want to so much but it’s too damn ugly. I’ll get the much sexier Z2.

• Derek stone

I agree about the design of the M8. I had my heart set on it before it came out but I don’t like the design at all. It’s too long and as has way too much bezel. Don’t like the colours either.

• Blackdogdisc

@ Alex: The M8 IS CURRENTLY 5″, so if you want smallish, you should not be looking at the M8 Prime. Personally I found the M8 5″ to be a very narrow screen, and therefore I’m very interested in the Prime.

Of course they will include microSD; it would be suicide going against the Note 4 not to. Plus HTC learned their lesson with the M7 line. What I cannot believe is that it would be released with only 16 gigs on board. Thats’ nuts.

This is shaping up to be the final 10% of perfection that the M8 now lacks. If they can improve that camera and eliminate the non-sense focus stuff and just get the darned thing making GOOD images consistently, I’ll be impressed. Waterproof would be icing on the cake, as would a stylus.

Personally I think the stylus has zero chance as it requires a whole level of integration into the hardware, display and Sense skin that would not be possible in such a short time. And if the M8 retails at $650, adding larger screen, bigger battery, better camera, etc…especially since they would expect much lower unit sales on this versus the standard M8…it’s heading towards $800 phone! Maybe the most expensive phone ever??? will the Note 4 reach $800?

1. please include an S pen type variant with this sexy metal beast!

• Dirty BudhaGuest 12 months ago

• Samuel AdamsGuest 12 months ago

HTC – the bankrupt company

• I feel like I got my ass kicked with down votes for suggesting a phone this size include a stylus… Did I miss something? Ass holes

2. ThatGuyGuest 12 months ago

Still no waterproofing, 20.7 MP 4K camera, or 3000+ mAh battery.

No thanks HTC, I’ll stick with my Sony Xperia Z2.

Do it right the first time or don’t do it at all.

• gah.. megapixel doesn’t necessarily mean better looking photos, it’s just the size of the end product..

• BSRGuest 12 months ago

• JGuest 12 months ago

It is waterproof

• Dirty BudhaGuest 12 months ago

3. namesibGuest 12 months ago

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

4. IronmanGuest 12 months ago

• Dirty BudhaGuest 12 months ago

5. GaryGuest 12 months ago

• M7ownerGuest 11 months ago

6. Sounds pretty great, although I’m not so sure about a 5.5″ screen. I’d love for it to be 5″, that’s about as large as I’d want for a phone. Anything larger, and I might as well get a tablet.

7. rickGuest 11 months ago