Jun 02 AT 9:14 AM Nick Sarafolean 9 Comments

Dell’s affordable Venue 7 and Venue 8 tablets announced at Computex

Dell Venue 7

Dell has been a big player in the PC world for years. After a few unsuccessful attempts at the mobile market, it pulled out to go back to what it was best at. Now Dell’s back in the Android game with the affordable Venue 7 and Venue 8 tablets. The Venue 7 includes a 7-inch 1280×800 display, 1.6GHz dual-core Intel Atom processor, 1GB RAM, 16GB storage expandable via microSD, 5-megapixel camera, 1-megapixel front-facing camera and Android 4.4 KitKat.

The Venue 8 packs an 8-inch 1920×1200 display, 2.1GHz dual-core Intel Atom processor, 1GB RAM, 16GB storage expandable via microSD, 5-megapixel camera, 2-megapixel front-facing camera and Android 4.4 KitKat. The tablets are priced at $159.99 for the Venue 7 and $199.99 for the Venue 8 and will be available from Dell’s online store starting July 1. Both tablets pack decent specs for their price tags and it’s good to see Dell coming back into the Android market.

Which tablet interests you more?

Source: Dell

A nerd at heart, Nick is an average person who has a passion for all things electronic. When not spending his time writing about the latest gadgets, Nick enjoys reading, dabbling in photography, and experimenting with anything and everything coffee. Should you wish to know more about him, you can follow him on Twitter @Zricon15.

• Jamie

I’m confused: I bought a Dell Venue 8 Pro tablet several months ago, and while I understand that the Pro runs Windows 8.1 versus Android, it was my understanding at the time that an Android-based Venue 8 was also available.

Is the Venue 8 to which you are referring an upgraded version of the prior product?

• Kevin

Correct. The Venue 7 and Venue 8 are not new products; they have merely been updated.

• sere83

Why are all these companies just constantly churning out sh*t low end tablets? Literally total waste of time, most will end up in land fill with 2 years.

• Ricky Cash

While some of the tablets in this market may end up in the scrap heap. This particular Dell series will not be one of them. It is every bit as good as the others in the category (8 Inch), and less expensive. It’s biggest flaw, the less than 1080p screen has been addressed with the new version. The current version is on Android 4.4.2 It is rootable and the bootloader is not locked.
      It is indeed a quality product that Dell can be proud of.

• sere83

I suspect this platform will fail. Its basically a sub par clone of android from what i’ve seen. Samsung has many times shown its total lack of real innovation or quality control in the mobile space, basically wait for apple to do it then copy or release a beta product which only becomes useful by the 3rd iteration.

• Chris

A couple of months ago, I wanted a “budget” tablet for the sole purpose of streaming videos and Cable TV stations while I was working out on my treadmill out in the garage…. so I went ahead and bought the Dell Venue 8 (Android model).

It was a respectable tablet but it had some design flaws. Most tablets have the USB charging port on the bottom. The Venue 8 had it’s on the left side. That means if you have a case installed you have to keep it open to charge it. Also, it meant you could NOT use the kickstand feature of the case while the phone was charging because the charge port would be at the bottom.

The other big issue I had with the Venue 8 was the Wifi. It was listed as Wireless N… but it maxed out at around 54MBps… after some tweaks to my wireless router, I managed to bring it up to 65MBps…

After a couple of weeks, I eventually returned the tablet back to the store for a refund and ended up getting a Samsung Galaxy Tab 4. Comparing the two… I think the original Venue 8 was and is slightly faster than the newer Tab 4..

One thing I noticed about this newer Venue 8 that’s coming out is.. it has LESS RAM. The original Venue 8 came with 2GB RAM… now the updated version comes out with even LESS RAM???? Why Dell???

• Ricky Cash

It’s funny, you say the port is on the left side I say it’s on the top. We all use stuff differently. I got the case made by IVSO which has a cutout for the USB port. Case design is not the fault of the device anyway. If your device gets popular enough you will have better accessories made for it. This RAM thing can be problematic though. I looked at the Samsung Tabs but I think I’m through with Touchwiz.

• guest

I own the dell venue 7, posyting this from it now. Must say its a really nice tablet. Havent had a single issue out of it yet, definitelymworth the buy. I got mine from fingerhut (venue 7) for $199 because its a rent to own kinda company -_-

1. JamieGuest 11 months ago

2. sere83Guest 11 months ago

• Ricky CashGuest 11 months ago

It is indeed a quality product that Dell can be proud of.

3. sere83Guest 11 months ago