Jun 04 AT 11:36 AM Dima Aryeh 12 Comments

New rumors and images of the Samsung Galaxy F surface, sadly unconfirmed

Samsung Galaxy F leak 1

We’ve heard plenty of rumors of the Samsung Galaxy F, which is thought to be the legendary Galaxy S5 Prime. Since the Galaxy S5 didn’t wow us in specs, many of us are hoping there will be a Galaxy S5 Prime to offer some improved performance. However, the rumors of there being a separate series of devices may end up being true.

Samsung Galaxy F leak 2

Two images of this Samsung Galaxy F have been posted by @evleaks. Though he’s usually very sure of his leaks, he emphasized that these images and rumors are completely unconfirmed and were just a tip. So take this with a grain or two of salt. Still, they’re interesting to say the least. The images don’t quite look real, but they look good.

The interesting part of these rumors isn’t that the Galaxy F will one-up the Galaxy S5; it’s that the devices will replace the Galaxy S line entirely. There will be no Galaxy S6, instead there will be a Galaxy F successor. Samsung may have gotten tired of going into high numbers and wanted to start fresh, but somehow this sounds like a pretty good idea.

In terms of specs, the leak claims a 5.3-inch QHD display and a Snapdragon 805 processor, which sounds about right for the timeframe it should release, which could be in September at Unpacked Ep. 2. If this ends up being true, I’ll be a happy Samsung fanboy who was disappointed by the Galaxy S5. What do you guys think of it? Leave a comment!

Source: @evleaks, (2), (3)

• martinkem

The interesting part of these rumors isn’t that the Galaxy F will one-up the Galaxy S5; it’s that the devices will replace the Galaxy S line entirely. There will be no Galaxy S6, instead there will be a Galaxy F successor. Samsung may have gotten tired of going into high numbers and wanted to start fresh, but somehow this sounds like a pretty good idea.

Are serious? Which company spends millions of dollars building up a brand name only to turn around and say let’s kill this successful brand name and start from scratch. Let’s get real here, there will be a Galaxy S6. The Galaxy F might be introduced or probably be introduced as a variant of the Galaxy S5 with a metallic finish, if that photo you guys used is anything to go by.

• JQuest81

• Jordan Taylor

“Galaxy” is the brand name, S is just the sub brand. I think releasing a new galaxy line will do them a massive advertising favour

• 99steve

I don’t know how anybody could be disappointed by the specs. The only spec that it was missing was 1 gb of ram, but so is the m8.

• Grumpy old android fan

Around… three (?) years ago when flagships like the HTC One X started coming out, I was impressed by the 720p resolution but also sorta worried that GPU performance would be poor. I bought a One X and I was pretty happy with it. When 1080 became the new high-end norm, I thought okay, this is getting stupid, 720 is more than enough and I’d rather let the GPU scream at 720 then just handle 1080 at about the same performance as last year at 720. But sure enough, one Note 3 and one Nexus 5 later, I’m now happy with 1080 on my smartphone.

My point is, I’ve been wrong about this literally every time… but I’m really having a difficult time understanding the desire for screen resolutions above 1080 on 5-6 inch screens. If given the option, I think I’d rather have (for example) a Snapdragon 805 with a 1080 screen than a QHD screen.

Am I alone on this? Given my past, who knows – maybe I’ll eventually get like some 4K smartphone and think it’s appropriate, but right now it just baffles me. I sincerely don’t know how a screen with a higher pixel density than my Nexus 5 would help me in any way, but it would certainly tax the GPU, and the screen itself will eat the battery faster.

If you want QHD on a roughly 5-6 inch smartphone, would you please tell me why? I’m sincerely curious, not trying to instigate some stupid argument :)

• http://www.androidandme.com Dima Aryeh

• SGB101

• Brandon

funny how they make the same damn phone over and over with the same outward appearance and just tweak a few things and people still spend over 600 dollars every time the new one comes out.

• Snapdragon

To be fair, most are probably upgrading with contract, not shelling out 600 bones for a new phone. I’m still on the Galaxy S2 but for some reason I can never be satisfied with the specs of new phones. I’m more than ready to upgrade but the specs have to be luring enough.

• Dave Heller

It better not replace the Galaxy line. If there is no SD slot and ability to replace the battery, I will start looking elsewhere.

• Mark

Who said they were replacing the Galaxy line/name? The only assumed changed right now is that Galaxy “S” will become Galaxy “F”. It still says Galaxy.

• richard

the f fits right in… stands for samusng galaxy fuck… samsung should be ashame comming out with 30 phones a year… flooded and confusing the market…

1. martinkemGuest 12 months ago

• Right. Though I’m decidedly on the fence. It make sense if you don’t want the number to get too high, but then all you would have to do if you didn’t want to rebrand is to name it ‘Galaxy S (insert year here)’

• Jordan TaylorGuest 12 months ago

2. 99steveGuest 12 months ago

3. Grumpy old android fanGuest 12 months ago

• I have a Note 3, which has a 5.7-inch display. I can see individual pixels on the display, which only means it can improve. However, when I had my time with the 5.1-inch Galaxy S5, I rarely saw pixels. So I definitely want QHD in the Note 4, the size needs it (at least for me). But, to be fair, I’m fairly happy with 720p on my 4.7-inch Moto X. Could be better, but absolutely acceptable.

• I’ve said similar else where. Ips seems to hide the pixels more than the amoled to. Compare the one x and sgs3, big difference, I can’t pick I put a pixel on the X, but just about can on the 3. Both 720@ 4.8″.

4. BrandonGuest 12 months ago